Former Customers who dropped Oak Harbor.

foster1662

TB Lurker
Credits
I think we need to list the former customers
that have stopped shipping and supporting
Oak Harbor Freight Lines while we are in this
fight.
With the holiday seasons coming we
can show our support by trying to return
the favor and shopping at their stores or
directing others to do so.
Horizon Distribution, Inc. Thank You.

"Due to the Oak Harbor strike, HDI has retained Reddaway as our freight carrier. In most cases this should not
change your delivery schedule. Reddaway has assured us that they will serve us at the highest level of service".

We will advise you of any changes once the strike is resolved.

Thank You,

Horizon Distribution, Inc

:3dflagsdotcom_usa_2

I have a question:
What happens when all your customers use other carriers to satisfy their customers and decide to stick with them?
What happens to your jobs when freight levels drop because of it?
Do you think Oak Harbor will do permanent layoffs?

The freight will go somewhere else, therefore those other companies will be hiring. At this point, everyone sees where this is going.

Oak Harbor has spent millions on this whole strike, and it hasn't even been a month yet. They've spent more money then they say that they would have saved. It's not about the money. We realize this is probably never going to end with us having a fair contract. Why should a corrupt company be able to operate at 100%.

Oak Harbor is going down and the management that is on their side will go down with them. When hardly any customers will use Oak Harbor anymore, they will no longer have the means to keep the company running.

Oak Harbor brought this upon themselves.

The freight will go somewhere else, therefore those other companies will be hiring. At this point, everyone sees where this is going.

Oak Harbor has spent millions on this whole strike, and it hasn't even been a month yet. They've spent more money then they say that they would have saved. It's not about the money. We realize this is probably never going to end with us having a fair contract. Why should a corrupt company be able to operate at 100%.

Oak Harbor is going down and the management that is on their side will go down with them. When hardly any customers will use Oak Harbor anymore, they will no longer have the means to keep the company running.

Oak Harbor brought this upon themselves.

Thanks for your input. I'm just trying to understand the meaning of the strike and why some are crossing lines.

So basically,
  • Oak Harbor continually refuses to negotiate with the Teamsters in regards to your benefits.
  • The Teamsters are striking both Oak Harbor and their customers. Possibly to make them start negotiating or shut the company down.
  • Oak Harbor is hiring permanent replacement drivers. Possibly to avoid further negotiations and thwart any efforts of a Teamster caused company shut down.

This whole thing seems like each side is trying to call each others bluff and is at a current stale mate.
With the slow season coming up, other trucking companies might not be hiring and the replacement drivers who are slowly gaining Oak Harbor experience end up with the better deal. (staying employed)

I wish you all good luck and hope this settles soon.:1036316054:

I'm just trying to understand the meaning of the strike and why some are crossing lines.
Some cross over because of greed. They think they will jump ahead of the Union workers if this gets settled in out favor. They are wrong. They will be history. Three from one family had jobs at another Union carrier but since thy had to start at the bottom they didn't like the run, or the hours, or the truck they had to drive, or giving up the vacations. Another one could have returned to a DC for a chain of variety/grocery stores but didn't like the 24/7 on call, or the truck or who knows what. This person admitted to us that he didn't need to work for sometime. And his daddy never crossed a Union picket and yap, yap, yap like a puppy. Some didn't plan ahead. Some are to lazy to look for a job. ASAIK no one has said they have no other choice. One sent his wife into the Union hall to get his Hershey letter, no spine.

Oak Harbor continually refuses to negotiate with the Teamsters in regards to your benefits.
They did meet Oct. 9th and the company received a copy of the Teamster proposal. Federal mediator was present. No other dates have been set. The strike is in regard to unfair labor practices. See http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...t-lines/44552-contract-8-a-10.html#post433498 for the charges that has been brought before the NLRB. We have not had a contract since Oct. 31, 2007 and benefits was the big sticking point.

The Teamsters are striking both Oak Harbor and their customers. Possibly to make them start negotiating or shut the company down.
We are striking OHFL. We don't have a fight with The customers. We do ambulatory picketing where a Oak truck is at. Most customers do not want the hassle of pickets and it stops other Union carriers from crossing to the customer while we are there on the sidewalk or other public right-of-way. The pickets must leave when the truck leaves. However if the customer gives permission to enter onto their property only the truck is picketed and Other Union carriers can come and go.

If they choose to shut down so be it.

Oak Harbor is hiring permanent replacement drivers. Possibly to avoid further negotiations and thwart any efforts of a Teamster caused company shut down.
Yes.

This whole thing seems like each side is trying to call each others bluff and is at a current stale mate.
With the slow season coming up, other trucking companies might not be hiring and the replacement drivers who are slowly gaining Oak Harbor experience end up with the better deal. (staying employed)
Yes and Yes.

Most all of knew going into this that it would be a fight to the end. Most of us that are on the line day after day know that each day goes past that the chances of settlement are slimmer and the customer base is getting smaller. And even if this was settled now that maybe only 25%-30% would be recalled. Sure the replacements are getting experience but when a terminal has 900+ bills and they are down to 237 and Oak is rate discounting 80% or more they won't be there long. These numbers are from extremely reliable sources not my guesses. And Oak is saying they are at 100%? I say the "Good Christian Men" are stretching the truth.

And Oak is saying they are at 100%? I say the "Good Christian Men" are stretching the truth.

Who exactly is doing the math there because 100% (We have had one hundred ten (110) represented people who have crossed the picket line and returned to our team.) + (We are in the midst of hiring strike replacements; to date we have hired over forty five (45) strike replacements) does not equal (Locals 81, 174, 231, 252, 324, 483,
589, 690, 760, 763, 839, 962, Oak Harbor Freight Lines 906 Teamsters.)
110 + 45 = 906 can somebody please help me figure this one out to be 100%. I wasn't great at math but this one really has me stumped.

My opinion on what they mean by 100% operational is that if you call them they will come get it and deliver it without delays, 100% of the time. It is just another way of Oak Harbor speaking out the side of their mouths to make it seem better than it is. The do this all the time but yet would never call themselves liars. They want the customers to believe that all is weel and there are no problems at Oak Harbor.

This whole situation is sad, but its not the fault of the good teamsters that want fair working conditions. Just to let you all know I support the brotherhood! Keep strong, stay straight and fly right.

100% operational means that they are operating in every location. When this is all over, the company will be operating in 100% of the market but at about one third of the capacity, and will be fine with that. Because, at that time, one of two things will have happened - either that contract is agreed to, some people are called back, but the number of permanent replacements is higher than those called back and all locations decertify, or the union is broken on the front end. The only other possibility is that the company is shut down for good. Doesn't really matter as far as the union is concerned, they will be out of this company no matter what happens.

All this is predicated on the ULP charges not holding up. If they are upheld, then everything that I said above goes out the window.

chuckandbob said:
...When this is all over, the company will be operating in 100% of the market but at about one third of the capacity, and will be fine with that.
If Oak does end with one third capacity what will happen to two thirds of the Dead Oak management?

The support staff will be cut down, sales territories will be combined, supervisory staff will be cut as well. You don't need as many supervisors, billers, dispatchers, etc. when the volume of shipments drops.

Someone mentioned 80%+ discounts to resecure or hold onto current business. Trust me, that has been going on for much longer than just since September. The regional market pricing structure is ridiculously low. In fact, the net amount that shippers pay to move product in the next and second day markets has not increased, for all extents and purposes, over the last ten years.

Chuck and Bob
Don't forget cutting wages for drivers and dock by 30% .Also there will never be a dockworker with benefits or an 8hr guarantee. In addition the guts of the company sponsored healthcare will be reduced as in the past . The boys will still have to pay fixed terminal costs loans ,leases,lights, sewer etc. These costs remain the same with or without freight. Just to remind everyone that a verbal promise is not worth the paper it's not written on. EVERY DAY THEY HOLD OFF ON NEGOTIATIONS IS ONE DAY CLOSER TO THE END OF A ONCE PROUD COMPANY. I will hold the line to watch the sun set on their empire!