ABF | Freightliners?

Not other than here. Is that a big thing? ABF has always had two or three makes of trucks in use at one time and Sterlings are no longer made. A new batch of Macks is already in service so it fits their profile to get a Freightliner.

No I don't consider it a big thing I was just curious. I had asked about it at the equipment meeting last summer but they had no info at the time. I actually like the freightliners.

When we had our Equip. meeting at 042 I asked Lee Ocker form the ( Road Team ) what there plans were and he said the gentleman from Freightliner said they were working on presenting a package to ABF. The reason ABF was considering at the time to go with Freightliner was they will have the (60) series Detroit engine in them and The Detroit has less of the smog and pollution junk on them opposed to the Mack.

If Freighliner puts a cheap enough package together that would be right up ABF's alley. Can't you get any engine you want in any truck these days?

If you remember correctly when they purchased the 2001 Volvo's they had the 60 series Detroit in them and worked very well for the Company with little to no Maintence issues and by far was probably one of the Best Road Units they ever purchased as far as performance comfort and wear and tear. I truely think it will be a good buy.... most likely will have the same suspension and gear package as did the Sterlings the only thing different it will have a Freightliner cab on it.

If Freighliner puts a cheap enough package together that would be right up ABF's alley. Can't you get any engine you want in any truck these days?
actually no volvo does not offer the detroit engine at all/because detroit is owned by frieghtliner/who is owned by daimler/chrysler who also owned sterling,that is whhy frieghtliner trys to push thier truck buyers to equip them with the mercedes engine/i know you folks dont have volvos but just FYI!

I haven't heard anything for sure about equipment purchases for 2011. The last I heard from an authority was the plan to run the 03, 05, 06 & 07 Sterlings to a million miles. The used truck market was down 40% from 2009 to 2010. The thinking was since the Sterlings wouldn't bring much we would just run the miles out of existing equipment. The 2011 tractors will be required to have the SCR/Urea system. The reason the 2010 Macks don't have this is Mack/Volvo had some engines that were manufactured before the 2010 emission deadline. The SCR/Urea system makes the 2011 tractors more expensive.
It's not a good sign when ABF doesn't buy new equipment. The only thing I heard about new equipment was sleepers for the west coast COO. I hope this is successful & brings in some revenue.
Back to equipment. As was stated Daimler/Benz owns Freightliner, Western Star, Detroit Diesel & the discontinued Sterling brand. Freightliner wants to install their engines in their trucks.
Volvo owns Mack & that is one reason highway Macks have had Volvo engines since 2007. The Mack engine would not meet the 2007 emission standards without many modifications. The Volvo & Mack trucks are manufactured at the same plant. The 2008-2010 Macks we have are more Volvo than Mack. The suspension etc. is not like the older Macks.
The Series 60 & the MBE 4000 engines are no longer manufactured. That is why the 09 Sterlings 19001-19176 have the DD13 Detroit engines. The DD13 & DD15 replaced the Series 60. The new engines (DD13) are much like the MBE with a few features brought over fron the Series 60. The DD13 has an overhead cam & a single cylinder head like the Series 60, (the MBE has six single cylinder heads & the cam is in the block). The DD13 & DD15 engine was a joint venture between Mercedes & Detroit Diesel. The engines are manufactured in at the Detroit plant. Good news that an American plant was chosen for production. The DD13 has all electronic injectors & aren't operated by the camshaft like the Series 60. The fuel system is called an amplified common rail injection system & the computer does things I didn't know were possible.
The ABF maintenance people didn't like some features about Freightliner. I don't know if Freightliner will manufacture a freight tractor to compete with Mack. There is a void in the marker left by Sterling & ABF is not the only customer that were not happy that the Sterling brand was discontinued.
I will let this board know when I hear something. Probably the best source for news is your local janitor. They seem to know news before the other employees.

This might be true since they swap out the older models and put them in the city and run them rather than buying (NEW) city tractors as they buy (NEW) road units every year. They use to be on a 3yr. cycle but as time went on and the technology improved and the life of the Unit lasted longer as well they then decided to go with a 4yr. swap, thats the way it was explained to me back when they first started to retire the road units to the city. So if you do the (MATH) 2007...2011 that is four years so some of the 07's are already going into the city. Have a great week.

Here is a picture for those not a member of Hank's site.

Hank's Truck Picture Forum

roog

dsc00078-medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice from here. You guys take good care of it, I want it looking just like that 600,000 miles from now when it becomes my city unit!

It will be tore up before it has 600 miles on it.Holes poked in the headliner,switches whited out with white out,well you know the deal.