FedEx Freight | Furloughs a overreaction or REAL indicator ?

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
Freight is slow in many (Most?) locations. I think we know that. Slower than it should be for Early Nov.

(Job postings are way WAY down. 2 pages on the last update. Zero drivers and/or apprentices. A couple part time Freight handler positions. Bunch of technicians (mechanics), management, and back office.

AND many part time dock workers being sidelined in favor of Drivers who have no other work. Oh, and trucks being parked (again), due to lack of need.

Driver apprentice Program being "Paused", for obvious reasons. Instructors pulled from Safety assignments, told to expect mandatory return to driver pool. This adding to the over staffing situation, much to the detriment of those at the bottom.

There are more indicators we could get into, showing that Corporate brass is most certainly REACTING to something. Are they over reacting? Are they forgetting their commitment to PSP, safety, purple promise, etc.? Questions...

Regardless, I think it's wise to pay attention. Whether they know something we don't know, or they are overreacting... sacrificing everything to maintain that record breaking margin? I hope these actions don't backfire.

Time will tell.

All indications point to a situation similar to 2008. There will be layoffs, equipment parking and cost cuts.

Kinda weird that OD and Estes are still hiring around here… maybe that’s where the freight went?

Freight is slow in many (Most?) locations. I think we know that. Slower than it should be for Early Nov.

(Job postings are way WAY down. 2 pages on the last update. Zero drivers and/or apprentices. A couple part time Freight handler positions. Bunch of technicians (mechanics), management, and back office.

AND many part time dock workers being sidelined in favor of Drivers who have no other work. Oh, and trucks being parked (again), due to lack of need.

Driver apprentice Program being "Paused", for obvious reasons. Instructors pulled from Safety assignments, told to expect mandatory return to driver pool. This adding to the over staffing situation, much to the detriment of those at the bottom.

There are more indicators we could get into, showing that Corporate brass is most certainly REACTING to something. Are they over reacting? Are they forgetting their commitment to PSP, safety, purple promise, etc.? Questions...

Regardless, I think it's wise to pay attention. Whether they know something we don't know, or they are overreacting... sacrificing everything to maintain that record breaking margin? I hope these actions don't backfire.

Time will tell.
Theory at my terminal is possible sell off/buyout/something funky.

Equipment is at a all time low, fleet maint. doesn't even order or have on stock bulbs for the tractors, let alone any other common parts. parts that shouldn't cost a whole lot to have and should be on hand by the pallet load.

Time will tell.
Heard today they are going to go over staffing numbers at each center in my district and offer furloughs. Our local DDI is in limbo as well

Equipment is at a all time low, fleet maint. doesn't even order or have on stock bulbs for the tractors, let alone any other common parts. parts that shouldn't cost a whole lot to have and should be on hand by the pallet load.
Same couldn’t get the light switched out last night on the truck

Same couldn’t get the light switched out last night on the truck
I run to a spot thats more than willing to 5 finger out of the deadline for me but its absolutely ****ing nuts how bad its getting. I've seen it get bad but right now if DOT walked into our yard, we wouldn't have anything to move freight on or with.

Some of our guys put our equipment situation comparable to Central Transport or Yellow.

I run to a spot thats more than willing to 5 finger out of the deadline for me but its absolutely ****ing nuts how bad its getting. I've seen it get bad but right now if DOT walked into our yard, we wouldn't have anything to move freight on or with.

Some of our guys put our equipment situation comparable to Central Transport or Yellow.
Hey hey.... my 30% government owned truck is in tip top shape. Yellers fleet is mostly new.

Lol

All indications point to a situation similar to 2008. There will be layoffs, equipment parking and cost cuts.

Kinda weird that OD and Estes are still hiring around here… maybe that’s where the freight went?

Maybe YRC will buy yall out

BASF the largest chemical company on the planet is temporarily closing 80 plants worldwide. Their products go into manufacturing just about everything. If demand has fallen off the cliff for them, we're in for a rough ride.

“We already drew attention to the difficult economic situation at the end of October. Since then, customer demand in key markets has declined significantly,” said Dr. Jürgen Hambrecht, chairman of the board of executive directors of BASF SE. “In particular, customers in the automotive industry have canceled orders at short notice.”

20,000 people involved.

BASF the largest chemical company on the planet is temporarily closing 80 plants worldwide. Their products go into manufacturing just about everything. If demand has fallen off the cliff for them, we're in for a rough ride.

“We already drew attention to the difficult economic situation at the end of October. Since then, customer demand in key markets has declined significantly,” said Dr. Jürgen Hambrecht, chairman of the board of executive directors of BASF SE. “In particular, customers in the automotive industry have canceled orders at short notice.”

20,000 people involved.

This should be flagged for dis-information. The article is 14 years old… As in 2008-2009 economic crisis at that time

20,000 people involved.

Lol a soros plant

Very slow at the big E-z. They are hiring though for Linehaul seemingly everywhere for some odd reason. Everyone’s still working but cut way way back, runs getting cancelled and terminated regularly I’m seeing. The goofy stuff I see the extraboard doing makes me theorize they’re running guys wether there’s freight or not to keep a bunch of them from quitting. I volunteered to stay home a few Mondays ago and was told to come on in “ we will find something for ya to do”. Things couldn’t stay wide open forever.

Very slow at the big E-z. They are hiring though for Linehaul seemingly everywhere for some odd reason. Everyone’s still working but cut way way back, runs getting cancelled and terminated regularly I’m seeing. The goofy stuff I see the extraboard doing makes me theorize they’re running guys wether there’s freight or not to keep a bunch of them from quitting. I volunteered to stay home a few Mondays ago and was told to come on in “ we will find something for ya to do”. Things couldn’t stay wide open forever.
Wonder if they are waiting to see if rail goes on strike.