Yellow | future of yellow

justatruckn

TB Lurker
Credits
i was just curious to everyones opinion i am new to yellow and i left a very successful company to come here and i was just curious on what people thought of the financal stability of the compay because i am young enough to do my 30 yrs with them i want to make sure i did the right thing. whats your opinion thx

Depends on where you came from and what you were getting.

Union is a nice aspect long term, but the bottom of a seniority list blows. If you can ride out the layoffs and crappy bids for the first few years, you will be a happy camper.

If you need to work every day and would like a certain start time, then you may struggle for a while. I have seen a few good young men get frustrated and discouraged the first winter when they only work 3-4 days a month because things are slow. Same can be said working 3AM shifts with Tuesday and Wed off.

However, the pension and benefits sure are sweet. The pay is tops and the work rules are all spelled out.

Good luck

It also depends on whether you are City/Dock, or Road; and whether your barn is all-driver qualified or a mixture. If you are in the city and qualified, I'm sure you'll stay busy all summer due to guys going on vacations. The dock should still stay pretty busy unless there is a tremendous slowdown. As a 10%er, you'll be exposed to every shift, and they should need you enough to bounce you back on 7 1/2-8 hours rest for the dock. Check how many qualified guys in your barn are getting ready to retire-- that's what saved me. In the 8 years since I first came to Yellow/Indy-- close to 100 retired. It's getting harder and harder to find good freight men- especially in the city.....Where they'll get you is if we have a Change of Operations. Jax is probably a popular place for guys with more seniority to transfer in to.....

If you are on the Road tho, be advised the Road tends to overhire and you'll end up not as busy. The Road is the place to make $$$$$$-- but only when they need you. Here in Indy, I've heard of guys making more in 10 months and staying home Jan/Feb than I did working every available hour for the whole year on the dock........

Yellow seems to be one of the most stable, if there is such a thing in this day and age. Now whether it'll stay as Yellow is the question-- Yellow, or YRC, or Roadway or Yell-Way, We'll have to wait and see........

My opinion!

Weather you made a good move, that's for
you to decide. However being I.B.of T mem-
ber has alot of avantages so I have learned
over my 1 year + yellow & i.b.of t. So I'm
like you questioning the companies longevi
tiy and most important there comentment
to current employee/member's. But 1 of the
most important advantage's for you as i.b.of.t
is being under the NMFA is that any trans co
under this agreement you will be preferred before non NMFA I.B of T . If current com-
pany not suitable? Keep that in mind! Also
anyone disagree with what I said and know
if wrong please correct thx in advance.:USA:

there is no sureity of any company in the current situation.just keep yourself informed.look at what happened to jevic and remember the people here on the jevic boards called it first.

all the companys that make up yrcw have been around a long long time,and will be for a long time to come,this aint there fist screwed up election year.....