FedEx Freight | FXF management and others out of touch with reality

Seriouslydude

TB Lurker
Credits
Nationwide shortage of truck drivers, school bus drivers and longshoreman. FXF solution is a laughable 4% raise.
The consensus of management seems to be that its laziness is why there is a shortage of workers. That isn't the case at all.
The average cost of home in America is almost 400k. Have wages kept up with the rising cost of living? Not at all! What's the difference between someone making 70k or 30k if they still cant afford housing? What's the point in working the long hours, working in the elements, irregular work hours, poor treatment just so at the end of the month you're still broke and living in your parents basement. There are currently 65 ships waiting outside the port of Los Angeles waiting to be unloaded due to labor shortages of longshoreman and truck drivers. Recently both Union Pacific and BNSF both had to shutdown rail terminals in Chicago due to a shortage of workers and truck drivers.
Again, whats the difference between 30k and 70k? You know what motivates people to show up for work, a mortgage. What else works is hungry kids. 70k isn't enough to afford either. Trucking used to be a "real" job, not anymore. Management is still living in the past when they had all these applicants for your job and truck drivers are a dime a dozen. That hasn't been the case for a long time. Part 1

Nationwide shortage of truck drivers, school bus drivers and longshoreman. FXF solution is a laughable 4% raise.
The consensus of management seems to be that its laziness is why there is a shortage of workers. That isn't the case at all.
The average cost of home in America is almost 400k. Have wages kept up with the rising cost of living? Not at all! What's the difference between someone making 70k or 30k if they still cant afford housing? What's the point in working the long hours, working in the elements, irregular work hours, poor treatment just so at the end of the month you're still broke and living in your parents basement. There are currently 65 ships waiting outside the port of Los Angeles waiting to be unloaded due to labor shortages of longshoreman and truck drivers. Recently both Union Pacific and BNSF both had to shutdown rail terminals in Chicago due to a shortage of workers and truck drivers.
Again, whats the difference between 30k and 70k? You know what motivates people to show up for work, a mortgage. What else works is hungry kids. 70k isn't enough to afford either. Trucking used to be a "real" job, not anymore. Management is still living in the past when they had all these applicants for your job and truck drivers are a dime a dozen. That hasn't been the case for a long time. Part 1
Part 2
Now we at FXF and other places have lowered standards of employees to almost nothing. We have recruiters ( just like Swift). We have sign on bonuses at some places and top pay day 1 at others. Has it worked? Nope. Are we still missing pickups? Yes. Is local management and clerks still being screamed at by angry customers? Daily. Do we even have service standards anymore? Our local management can barely do their jobs of enforcing rules because everyone is afraid people will quit. Yet upper management still expects productivity numbers to be met.

Part 3
Everyone wonders why young people don't go into trucking. It's because they can't afford to. They might as well take some easy job if they're going to be stuck in their parents basement for the foreseeable future. Did young people benefit from bull run in stocks or home price appreciation in the last decade? Nope. Is the rising cost of living FXF's or any other trucking company's fault? Of course not but it is YOUR PROBLEM. I started this career in my 20's. Would I do it now if I was that age again, absolutely not. Zero incentive to sacrifice so much just to live in the basement. I too, would be playing video games and wondering what new strain the marijuana dispensary has this week.
In closing, it's not laziness, the virus, or having to be 21 to be an interstate truck driver why there's a driver shortage at FXF and nationwide. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

Part 3
Everyone wonders why young people don't go into trucking. It's because they can't afford to. They might as well take some easy job if they're going to be stuck in their parents basement for the foreseeable future. Did young people benefit from bull run in stocks or home price appreciation in the last decade? Nope. Is the rising cost of living FXF's or any other trucking company's fault? Of course not but it is YOUR PROBLEM. I started this career in my 20's. Would I do it now if I was that age again, absolutely not. Zero incentive to sacrifice so much just to live in the basement. I too, would be playing video games and wondering what new strain the marijuana dispensary has this week.
In closing, it's not laziness, the virus, or having to be 21 to be an interstate truck driver why there's a driver shortage at FXF and nationwide. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.
you are correct, but also.....decaf driver

Part 3
One of your problems is when your parents die you can't afford to live in the house. No income to pay the mortgage or utilities. And getting a job, no way. You can't pass a drug screen because Mary Jane is lurking in you blood stream. von.

I forgot. I have your answer. Start your own LTL outfit & if you have any complaints, go find a mirror. von.
Nationwide driver shortage due to lack of pay and the solution is start your own company? Young people can’t afford housing and they have millions of dollars to start their own LTL? Is this new version of “ if you don’t like it quit”? News flash, drivers and dock workers have quit and replacements very difficult to come by not just at FXF but everywhere.

Nationwide driver shortage due to lack of pay and the solution is start your own company? Young people can’t afford housing and they have millions of dollars to start their own LTL? Is this new version of “ if you don’t like it quit”? News flash, drivers and dock workers have quit and replacements very difficult to come by not just at FXF but everywhere.
He obviously still has the mindset of living in the 80’s where you could work a basic job, your wife could stay at home with the kids, and afford a home. You will get laughed out of the bank trying to get a $400,000 mortgage on city P&D pay.

Part 4.
Most people, age 20-40 can’t afford a $400,000 mortgage because they have two, $60,000 plus car or pickups, kids, and bills.

Many in that age group also lacks work ethic, pride, common sense, and wants an 8-4 job.

The majority of lives ( millennial’s ) can’t function day to day without their cell phone, or Amazon.

And they sure don’t want a 12 hour daily job, requiring physical labor.

Part 4.
Most people, age 20-40 can’t afford a $400,000 mortgage because they have two, $60,000 plus car or pickups, kids, and bills.

Many in that age group also lacks work ethic, pride, common sense, and wants an 8-4 job.

The majority of lives ( millennial’s ) can’t function day to day without their cell phone, or Amazon.

And they sure don’t want a 12 hour daily job, requiring physical labor.
Regardless of your work ethic and if you’re a millennial the bank is not going to give you a loan if you’re income doesn’t match it. Where I live on the West coast $400,000 won’t get you a shack. You’re missing the point he’s trying to make. News flash this isn’t the 80’s anymore where you could operate a forklift or have a manufacturing job, and be the sole bread winner of the family. There was just a segment on Fox of how the middle class is getting priced out of housing, and many will never be able to afford a home unless the market corrects itself.

Life is not easy. Microsoft Bill Gates started in his parents garage. He is living @ home. Right? The home has a garage. Right? Theres your sign. Can you imagine a 20 year old adult starting up a company in his, hell any garage & being so sucessful they retire @ 40? von.

Problem is Stockholders call the shots here. Not the management. They would just assume sell the company if Fred would let them.
I’ve never worked for a outfit that bought trucking companies and try to do away with the trucks that make them the money. In there eyes we make to much, the truck is to costly. I’ve noticed maintenance is being pushed to to its limits. PMs are at 50000 miles now. That’s crazy for a shop to see a piece of equipment twice a year. No grease no preventative maintenance. Run it till we tow it.
So you think a big raise was coming… never will happen here. Take what they give and they give two options. Stay.. or look elsewhere. Your only a number to them

Problem is Stockholders call the shots here. Not the management. They would just assume sell the company if Fred would let them.
I’ve never worked for a outfit that bought trucking companies and try to do away with the trucks that make them the money. In there eyes we make to much, the truck is to costly. I’ve noticed maintenance is being pushed to to its limits. PMs are at 50000 miles now. That’s crazy for a shop to see a piece of equipment twice a year. No grease no preventative maintenance. Run it till we tow it.
So you think a big raise was coming… never will happen here. Take what they give and they give two options. Stay.. or look elsewhere. Your only a number to them
You nailed it. Von.

I'm not saying that you are wrong. However, its the same thought process there is a driver shortage and it will only get worse over time. My time here is almost over anyways.

I'm not saying that you are wrong. However, its the same thought process there is a driver shortage and it will only get worse over time. My time here is almost over anyways.
It will only get worse because it’s not a attractive job for this new generation. Most can’t even pass a DOT physical without a sleep study or drug test.
The driver pool that Fedex gets are dock people. That pool is drying up . Most of them move on after there probation period ends. And if they stay they are the hardest drivers to talk to because they landed a high paying job without having to come from a over the road job as most of the older drivers did. They bitch and moan of the simple things. Like my trailers always to high. Seems to be the number one post on Facebook other than Waldo 33333. Who cares. Not me. But that’s your younger driver. 30 minutes pay to crank a trailer down. No big deal. That was done for free once upon a time.
You see I got 35 years on the road experience and the small things don’t matter and never will. But to the new driver, they will say hit the road if you don’t like it, I laugh at that response ever time I hear it.
FedEx will most likely in time sell or switch to broker loads. We are the most hated company out here on the road. Even though per mile we are safer than most . But to the average over the road company driver we are no more than SWIFT. So we’re do you attract a driver, sure isn’t the pay.. not just drop and hooks. You have to CHANGE THE IMAGE of the company… and they sure not doing that.

With these pay structures for centers that are 50 miles apart is ludicrous one makes bottom tier and the other makes top tier that makes no sense.It is like the powers that be want us us divided.I am 60 years old been driving since 1977 with 23 years in at af/fedex so when you people say" find another job if you dont like it" write that comment down now and reread it when your 60 and think long and hard about it.

It will only get worse because it’s not a attractive job for this new generation. Most can’t even pass a DOT physical without a sleep study or drug test.
The driver pool that Fedex gets are dock people. That pool is drying up . Most of them move on after there probation period ends. And if they stay they are the hardest drivers to talk to because they landed a high paying job without having to come from a over the road job as most of the older drivers did. They bitch and moan of the simple things. Like my trailers always to high. Seems to be the number one post on Facebook other than Waldo 33333. Who cares. Not me. But that’s your younger driver. 30 minutes pay to crank a trailer down. No big deal. That was done for free once upon a time.
You see I got 35 years on the road experience and the small things don’t matter and never will. But to the new driver, they will say hit the road if you don’t like it, I laugh at that response ever time I hear it.
FedEx will most likely in time sell or switch to broker loads. We are the most hated company out here on the road. Even though per mile we are safer than most . But to the average over the road company driver we are no more than SWIFT. So we’re do you attract a driver, sure isn’t the pay.. not just drop and hooks. You have to CHANGE THE IMAGE of the company… and they sure not doing that.
Well said!

None of that stuff is on FedEx. If you're living in your parents basement and content making 30k a year, then you're a loser. If I were living in my parents basement with no bills, I'd be a millionaire.

Most of the problems facing the middle class and millennials is caused by the government and a victim mentality.

I'll start with the latter since it's easier. We're in the "soft people" part of the cycle. Anxiety, depression and feelings run the world. People are convinced they'll never succeed so they quit without trying.

The government is causing inflation which causes the cost of living to rise. They do this by keeping interest rates low (the price of money) and by artificially raising wages. There's also the free money floating around. Who is going to pay for all of this? The lower middle class people. All this means is that people are living lifestyles they can't afford by using credit. People owe tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars because of low interest rates and government backed loans. I have a friend that lives a luxurious lifestyle. A new car every 2 years, a Harley, every new phone that comes out, a big house etc, but he struggles to pay his credit cards every month and complains that his bank account is constantly over drawn. Who's fault is that? I have another friend that owns a repossession company. He drives an s class that's paid off and doesn't have a care in the world. That tells me everything I need to know

When you have adults crying about not making enough money doing a job intended for a high school student and receiving government assistance, there's no incentive to do more. Then these kids are priced out of the job market and have a late start in life. They learn about the job market years later than previous generations. A major problem.

FedEx faces multiple problems here. First, people can make money on the internet. I've made a good amount of cash buying stuff at dollar tree and the salvation army and selling them online. I learned how to set up my investment portfolio by watching YouTube videos. People are learning how to be financially independent and they don't need a job.

The next problem is that the LTL market is saturated. In order to raise wages that compete with inflation, their prices have to keep up with inflation. Good luck with that when you have OD and Saia willing to pick stuff up for less. They can do that because LTL is all they do. FedEx corp has a lot going on and it's not all profitable.

FedEx was the wage leader when they feared the teamsters. They don't anymore. Now, they do just enough to make your seniority valuable to keep you from wanting to start over. They pay the same thing everybody else pays. Now, they're using the same metric everybody else uses to determine wages. That's to keep the seniority valuable.

It's a lot deeper than FedEx doesn't pay enough to buy a house.

The next problem is that the LTL market is saturated. In order to raise wages that compete with inflation, their prices have to keep up with inflation. Good luck with that when you have OD and Saia willing to pick stuff up for less. They can do that because LTL is all they do. FedEx corp has a lot going on and it's not all profitable.

FedEx was the wage leader when they feared the teamsters. They don't anymore. Now, they do just enough to make your seniority valuable to keep you from wanting to start over. They pay the same thing everybody else pays. Now, they're using the same metric everybody else uses to determine wages. That's to keep the seniority valuable.

It's a lot deeper than FedEx doesn't pay enough to buy a house.
All valid points, thank you for sharing your insight.