Holland | Going over 60 today

Thanks to everyone for the input. Things worked out well after all. When I started work on 4-5 I let dispatch know I WOULD be back in the yard before my 60 was up! They gave me a quick volume load and a couple of pickups. At my last pickup I called in and was given a couple emergency pickups. I clearly let them know I could only get one of them as I was out of hours. They never removed the last pickup and proceeded to call my two-way and cell phone. but I was driving and couldn't answer. I arrived back in time. I am certain dispatch was mad but it was never brought to my attention. I did have to complete my 10 hours on the dock due to freight volume.
On another note, the emergency pickups were a couple hours past actual close time. What a rookie mistake on their part
You are learning, which is a good sign. Dispatch said nothing because you were right, they were wrong. But, if you were not aware of the rule or kept your mouth shut, dispatch will take advantage of it every time. You violate hours of service, have an accident, you are responsible, not dispatch. Pick up a trailer with bills showing to much weight. You not dispatch takes the heat. A case in Indiana found the driver totally @ fault. In the eyes of the court & law, you should know the weight limit of you rig. When you sign the bills you have accepted responsibility. Ignorance of the law is not a defense. Never hesitate to ask Management if you think something is wrong. Make 1 big mistake, & you might never work in this business again. Amazon has the best price for a hand held recorder. A drivers best friend. Also many apps in a smart phone to record conversations. Each state has a different law on recording. Know yours. Good luck. von.

On another note, the emergency pickups were a couple hours past actual close time. What a rookie mistake on their part.

Being a rookie yourself, don't make the same mistake. Always question authority. Ask your steward or a old timer. They have been around long enough to know what works & what doesn't.

Your 30 minute lunch counts against your 14 hour clock. If you enter a lunch in some kind of PDA or computer, make sure you take it by the start of your 8th hour from coming on duty. If you don't take it by then you are in violation of the DOT rules & you can be fired or given a letter. DO NOT give them a reason to come after you. If you work only 8 hours & take no lunch you are legal. If you take a lunch, be sure to start it by the 8th hour. von.

Local drivers who qualify for the 100 air-mile radius provision are exempt from the 30-minute break rule.
And your 1/2 lunch is included in 14 hour day, but you do not count it as on duty, top line. If you work 8am to 10 pm you log 13 1/2 hours

How do you log the 30-minute break?
To be counted as a valid break (for compliance with the 8-hour/30-minute rule), it must be logged "off duty" or "sleeper berth." In general, to be “off duty” the driver must be free of all obligations and responsibilities and free to leave the premises.

How does the 30-minute break affect the 14-hour rule?
The 30-minute break must be counted as part of the driver’s 14-hour allowance. The driver does not get 14 hours of on-duty time in addition to the 30-minute break. It takes 30 minutes out of the driver’s 14 available hours. The breaks will not extend the 14-hour window.

Do drivers who are exempt from logging need the 30-minute break?
No. Drivers who qualify for the “100 air-mile radius” or “non-CDL 150 air-mile radius” provisions in section 395.1(e) are NOT required to take the minimum 30-minute break.

Right out of J J Keller website.

Maybe I'm missing something but Saturday would be on last weeks check.
Pay week has nothing to do with HOS.

Why would one want to degrade their work rules anymore than they already are by using the 34 hour restart ? Greedy ??
The company and the union agreed to not do the 34 hour restart to protect jobs.

Last edited:
Pay week has nothing to do with HOS.

Why would one want to degrade their work rules anymore than they already are by using the 34 hour restart ? Greedy ??
The company and the union agreed to not do the 34 hour restart to protect jobs.
I kind of thought that. But I worked @ ABF city Indy not Holland, & retired 18 months now. But I knew there was an agreement with Holland & ABF over not using the re-start in the Contract. But things change all the time. Why would someone want a rule change that would allow them to work a potential 84 hour work week. I know they did it a few years back @ the Roadway terminal on the dock. And management allowed it. After a year of this work week Danny Barton found out & put a stop to it. The dock guys could legally work these hours but not the drivers. Do the math, 22.50 hour * 40 = 900. 33.75 an hour * 44 = 1485. For a weekly total of 2385.00 or 114,000 a year. Now that is pure greed @ its finest. von.