XPO | got called for an interview, is conway worth switching for?

2koolajy

Vitran
Credits
Well I had decided to try and stick it out at my current company "vitran" but i just got called to go for an interview over at the des plaines, il barn. I was just curious how things are looking over at conway. you guys moving alot of freight? If i do end up getting a job offer id just be scared to leave and not make enough money to live off of. Just lookin for some insight from you guys. thanks in advance.

Wow, thats a tough call. I guess alot depends on how long you have been at Vitran and what you will be giving up. I know that in our area Vitran has been having ads in the paper and I have seen more of their trucks on the road. From what I can tell is that we are not hauling as much as we should be this time of year. My opinion It's only a job anymore. They have taken so much away from us morale sucks and I don't see it getting any better. Most of the problems I see is upper management trying to make things look better to the stockholders and the employees are suffering. That's only my opinion and observation.

I've only got about 1 1/2 years seniority at vitran and I am still making the wages they started me at due to their pay freeze

The only real way to decide if its worth it or not is to ask if by some luck of the draw you land a bid/start time or where you fall on the extraboard. My barn is about the only place I see the extraboard running hard as its def not like that companywide. Also find out what class service center it is..a class 1-2 you will hone your skills on an orange yota forklift if there are no line runs/pd work for you, but at least youre working.

well if the vitran drivers in my region are telling the truth about what top pay is then yes hell yes make the switch, they tell me top pay is several $$$$ an hour less than our starting pay. but make sure you're in a region with plenty of work.

well if the vitran drivers in my region are telling the truth about what top pay is then yes hell yes make the switch, they tell me top pay is several $$$$ an hour less than our starting pay. but make sure you're in a region with plenty of work.

what does it matter if you are making top pay or even 100/hr if you"re only working 10-20 hrs a week?

At the Des Plaines barn they are always pretty busy,they run round the clock as they do not only do inbound and outbound but also reship and daytime linehaul.....From what i seen the Vitran guys make,i think you will in the long run make more here depending on what you chose to run,city or LH....I will say if you dont like dock work,then Con-way isnt the place for you as you will work the dock.And being a new guy,you unfortonaltly will work it more than the top guys...If you dont mind the dockwork,then if your not happy at Vitran give it a shot..

conway has doesn't allow short shifts (less than 6 hrs) im not saying it doesn't happen but as common pratice drivers get atleast 6hrs a day. might be dock work buts its work. also all drivers are suppose to have an even amount of hours pay grade isn't suppose to matter. this is all according to my scm.

Make the Switch Con~way is not a bad place to work not the way it once was but still not bad in time you'll make more here and longevity is gonna be a lot better also Con~way is not going no where !! They do know how to keep Money in there Pockets !!! They Don't like to share much however but you will get used to it !! lol :)

Des Plaines is a pretty busy terminal. Most of the people there seem pretty cool, but I've only been there during the midnight hours. Starting pay is 19.22/hr and tops is 24/hr after 5 years. No 401k contributions for employees hired after 2010 though. Health insurance is affordable but it gets more expensive for better coverage. First year coverage is barebones coverage only.

Does vitran offer a 401k?

I'm out of Desplaines. There's always work and usually plenty of overtime. Like snoman said we operate 24/5 with some weekend work if ur lucky. It's a decent group of guys n management is pretty good. Pm me if u have any questions. My names Bob Darr.

Vitran has a lot of problems right now. There is no guarantee pitran will be around 18 months from now. Con-way is going nowhere . Understand this about Con-way ; you will work no less then 25 hours a week on the dock, and that my friend can wear anyone down !! I worked for con-way and it wasnt a good experience. what im about to write is very important so read carefully.. ALL NEW DRIVERS ARE HIRED ONTO THE FLEX SCHEDULE. which means you work what ever shift they tell you. and that my pitran coworker is phuking NuTs.... I would stay right where you are and by this time next year if pitran is still having problems, ROLLLLLL

ALL NEW DRIVERS ARE HIRED ONTO THE FLEX SCHEDULE.
True.

which means you work what ever shift they tell you
Not true.. My terminal, like most large terminals, has day flex (0800 - 1400 starts) and linehaul flex (1700 - 2000 start).. Flex board start time windows may vary by terminal. With Des Plaines being a breakbulk, I'd imagine they would have a something similar. Perhaps somebody from or around xdp could chime in.

25 hours on the dock? HA! I'm on the city flex and my typical day on the dock is as follows: start at 1100-1200 and do p/d until 1700-1800, work the dock and clock out around 2130. I havent had a start time other than 1100-1200 since May. And I'm 5th from the bottom of the entire seniority board (of 190 drivers give or take). Linehaulers at my terminal probably work the dock 25+ hours per week but they like to put those hours anyways.

Is Conway the only company that your interested in? I have worked at conway, and used to run to Des plaines nightly, they call it the dump for a reason.

If your not sold on conway, I would give dayton freight a call. you actually can be hired as a driver, not a dock-worker.