SAIA | Hard facts on linehaul at SAIA

P&D is paid OT after 45 hours, so it's calculated according to payperiod no daily.

I highly doubt that they will increase the speed on any trucks. Fuel economy is the biggest factor. Even losing .2 MPG when figured across that many trucks is a significant amount of cash.

Fair warning: central dispatch does not like being contacted by any driver. When I was there, seemed like once a year the memo came down that central will call the driver, not the other way around. Good luck

That kinda rubs me the wrong way. I can't call to make sure and plan where I'm running? 10,11 hour break is fine i guess but 14.5....

As far as the drivecams, I guess I can adapt. But if I can't take a sip of water or put a dip in and spit, it's going to get stressful.

I wonder what the p&d drivers do on a tight schedule having to pull over every time they have to talk to multiple customers, or recieve an important call from dispatch. If you're lost on the way to a shipper and they are guiding you to the warehouse etc... What's your gut feeling? No compromise on the bluetooth policy?

For the most part, you guys getting passed by ABF, YRC, XPO, ODFL, Estes?

I appreciate you guys' answers to my random question lol

If you are driving and get a call from dispatch, the "official" rule is to wait until you get to your next stop and then call back. "Unofficially"...you better answer right now or risk getting yelled at by dispatch. That's the way it was at my barn anyway

I've never run the system but I have been sent thru a few times and ended up in a hotel. When checking on route information, I've always had more luck calling the terminal and, to be honest, I would rather talk to the locals anyway, rather than talking to Central. Since the terminal guys have been in touch with Central, they will have the route plan and starting times. Unless specifically told to call Central, call the terminal and keep Central out of the conversation as much as possible. One piece of advice about establishing a relationship with the Central Dispatchers, don't pester them and don't complain if you do sit for 14.5.
There will be no compromise, on the use of a telephone while driving, so be it. If P&D drivers or Linehaul get a company call or communication on the handheld, then, per company rules, you don't answer it until you can find a safe place to park and check it. If Pickups are missed or deliveries are late, tough ::shit::, you're following company policy. Your local manager will not see it that way because he will have to explain why pickups and deliveries were screwed up, but that is company policy. Their rules, we just follow them.
Good Luck to you.

Fair enough. I'm not the type of driver to spend hours on the phone with one or more people anyway. I know a bunch of drivers that talk to the same guy or conference call with multiple people at the same time all night long. I enjoy the silence especially running at night

This might be a stupid question but, do the trucks have radios with aux input to plug ipod in? I figured maybe they deemed a radio to be a distraction also

I like the silence too, but with all the "safety features" blaring and screaming at you for whatever reason, silence has gone out the window. But to answer your radio question, the radio, in the Volvos, does have an aux jack. I don't think that plugging in an ipod is against the new safety rules. I don't know about the new freightliners.

I like the silence too, but with all the "safety features" blaring and screaming at you for whatever reason, silence has gone out the window. But to answer your radio question, the radio, in the Volvos, does have an aux jack. I don't think that plugging in an ipod is against the new safety rules. I don't know about the new freightliners.

Wonder how long before they start pumping in safety PSA's on the radio?

Trying to call Central , on a Saturday morning, being put on hold, and having to listen to those health and safety tips, on a loop no less, should be illegal and against the Geneva Convention. That crap should be used to torture people because I know that it tortures me.

Not to mention their horrible choice of music is enough to make a deaf person scream...