Yellow | has anyone recieved training on the 53ft trls yet?

little indian 1

TB Lurker
Credits
Has any one recieved training on 53 ft trls yet? anyone know what bridge law is? are we ever going to be trained or recieve a list of king pin to tanden settings? i had to help a rookie yesterday who crossed tennesee scales with tandems all the way back with 43000lbs on trl. results were 2 tickets and a wrecker bill, overweight on trl axel and over on bridge law. i used 1hour of my break trying to help him to no avail..:BinLaden-Cow:

little indian 1 said:
Has any one recieved training on 53 ft trls yet? anyone know what bridge law is? are we ever going to be trained or recieve a list of king pin to tanden settings? i had to help a rookie yesterday who crossed tennesee scales with tandems all the way back with 43000lbs on trl. results were 2 tickets and a wrecker bill, overweight on trl axel and over on bridge law. i used 1hour of my break trying to help him to no avail..:BinLaden-Cow:
Even though he's a rookie, he should be famaliar with the law. At 120, we have a tandem setting sheet hung up in the drivers room.(think its still there). Could probably find you a copy to post in your room.:bananapowerslide:

As a part time switcher and a CDL nubie in training, I have not learned about the '53 rules. We did have a road driver ask about the bridge law one night, but I didn't have a clue, sorry. I think RDWY needs to have a class on these BLT's, everyone needs to know the laws, rules and regulations!! Save us some time and RDWY some $$, IF they are interested!! DS.

I would LOVE to see a 'tandem setting' sheet on the new 53's if anyone has a copy!! I have experience with previous job so I have some idea about settings but a lot of our newer people do not..

I hate getting a new 53 and tandems all the way to rear!! Is this done at shipper/drop location so easier to load or what??? At least the trailers are usually new and slide bar pulls easily..

Docksteward said:
As a part time switcher and a CDL nubie in training, I have not learned about the '53 rules. We did have a road driver ask about the bridge law one night, but I didn't have a clue, sorry. I think RDWY needs to have a class on these BLT's, everyone needs to know the laws, rules and regulations!! Save us some time and RDWY some $$, IF they are interested!! DS.
I agree DS I don't think 671 or R-69 or any one has told us anything about this. I just pulled one from 667 this morning. I have been treating it like a van or pup....

Bridge Laws

Rule of thumb is the rear of the bogies should never be past the 48' mark of the trailer. Any of the new trailers I have gotten so far, I have set the bogie bar at 48' and slid to the bar. That is legal in most states, except Cali and a few others. I always count 5 feet from the rear of the trailer and position the rear of the axle at that point. Yes, I am one of those drivers that like the bogies at the back unlike those city guys who insist on sliding all the way to the front. I for one have never figured out how it is easier to back in a dock with a 12 foot swing as opposed to a 5 foot swing. I know I'm going to get someone saying it's easier to get around corners and such, but I always felt more comfortable with at the back even when I was in the city. I guess it's just personal choice. I know I have a copy of the bridge lengths somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and post it here. Some states measure from the king pin to the center of the axles, some from the front of trailer to center and others from pin to rear axle center.

Back when I was pulling 53's, the rule of thumb was the California law. The center of the real axle not longer than 8 holes from the rear. Back in the day, I got a warning from Cal. scale that I was 1 hole off. They let me fix it and go on.

What does Holland use for a guide. They pull more 53's than any other trailer?

However, it has been a lloonngg time since I drove in the Peoples Republic of California, my numbers may be off a little

Roadie8105 said:
I would LOVE to see a 'tandem setting' sheet on the new 53's if anyone has a copy!! I have experience with previous job so I have some idea about settings but a lot of our newer people do not..

I hate getting a new 53 and tandems all the way to rear!! Is this done at shipper/drop location so easier to load or what??? At least the trailers are usually new and slide bar pulls easily..
having the tandems all the way back makes the trailer more stable when runnin a motor in and out of it, and if it's a dock you back down into, it lowers the trailer.

Hoosierky said:
Back when I was pulling 53's, the rule of thumb was the California law. The center of the real axle not longer than 8 holes from the rear.I guess the number of holes really depends on whether you have a slider set up for a 500# or a 1000# slide. Either way you can't be any longer than 40.5 feet from the pin in Cali.

On moving axles up for City drivin. It is a little easier in tight spots to turn them around if the axles are up. Sometime the axles are moved all the way back at our terminal to lift the trailer up to the dock because our dock is older and was built for trailers with taller tires. They fixed this by building up the apron right by the dock so if the axles are to far forward the trailer is about 6 inches lower than the dock. Hope you can understand this as it is very late for me.

I hope the "training" is aimed at the linehaul dispatchers. When a trailer is dispatched with more that 40K and the axles are in the rear, not only (in some states) will we be nailed with over-length, when we fix it at the scale, we will be over-weight.

Also, when a trailer is railed to California, the same thing will happen there. Look for more clock time (and fines) at a scalehouse near you!

serta said:
Here is a length sheet for you.

http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight...reight_stats/docs/04factsfigures/table3_6.htm

As I thought, Pa and OH are the same. On our 53 footers, most ahve a mark on the trailer indicating were the tandems are legal. I.E The mark should be between the rear two axles. Also, For the life of me, I can't remember the hole number, but I think is 13.

As for bridge law. Are you talking about the formula rate?
If you look at that table, it is pretty much always 41' or less where there is a limit specified. The reference to 23CFR658.13(h) is for trailers transporting vehicles. The link is below if you have the patience to wade through all of it.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/aprqtr/23cfr658.13.htm

Hoosierky said:
What does Holland use for a guide. They pull more 53's than any other trailer?

I work for Holland and on 53' trailers they are set in the 13th hole from the front. Just like someone else said you have to have 5' left like you are pulling a "48' with the tandems to the rear"

Our new trailers have a mark that ends up between the two axles which makes life a little easier then counting everything.

I hope this helps.

badlionsfan said:
having the tandems all the way back makes the trailer more stable when runnin a motor in and out of it, and if it's a dock you back down into, it lowers the trailer.
B!^ch at your Jockey! lol, easy for me to say< I'm lighten up the highway. I know it used to be a rule to slide them back when they came in, not that it was ever followed. But that was the 48's and I think it had something to do with the rails.