FedEx Freight | Haz Mat question

superdave

TB Lurker
Credits
What's wrong with this,if anything,Haz Mat placarding of this trailor. The "Hazardous Material Tally Sheet" is not included, but it said the trailor needed corrosive. this shipment was the only bill on the trailor. The emergency responce # are on there at the bottom of the bill I just whited them out too.

Sorry the bill is so small I'm lucky I got it to the thread.View attachment 204View attachment 205

Un numbers are unnecessary. Not bulk packaging and there is more than one un number in the shipmentf the single shipment 8801 rule is for having one un number for that shipment.

If the shipment was loaded at one facility and is the only item on the trailer, the UN number placard is required. Put 5 lbs of another product on the trailer, the UN number is not required. The manifest shows two different products, so the UN numbers should not be displayed. If it were a bulk package (119 gallons or more for liquid), the UN numbers would be required.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the shipment was loaded at one facility and is the only item on the trailer, the UN number placard is required. Put 5 lbs of another product on the trailer, the UN number is not required. The manifest shows two different products, so the UN numbers should not be displayed. If it were a bulk package (119 gallons or more for liquid), the UN numbers would be required.

It's one bill. I thought the 13,098 lbs would need the un. after going over my micro cheat sheet which says

LARGE QUANTITIES OF HAZARDOUS
MATERIALS IN NON-BULK PACKAGES

"A trailor loaded with 8.820 pounds or more hazardous
materials in non-bulk packages with the same proper shipping
name and identification number, must be marked with the
identification number specified on each side and each end if the
trailor contains no other freight, hazardous or otherwise. This
is in addition to the specific hazard class placard."

i agree with all who said no un,but look at the un numbers tapped over the corrosive placards. Thats so...I don't know wht that is, but it's not right.

I just got confused about the bold part of your statement. Is the identification number required if the hazmat was in non bulk packaging with a weight of over 8820 lbs?

If it's the only bill on the trailer and is over 8,820 lbs of non bulk packing you have to have UN numbers along with proper hazard class placard. Basically a bunch of boxes or pales instead off totes.

Guardrail said:

I agree but redshirts in KCY said if it's loaded at the same facility then anything over 8801 needs UN. I know you just said what the law was but redshirts know better than the law. Of course another driver came up and agreed with the red shirt that's your buddy from Sidney. I was out numbered so I drove off on my lift truck.

It's one bill. I thought the 13,098 lbs would need the un. after going over my micro cheat sheet which says

LARGE QUANTITIES OF HAZARDOUS
MATERIALS IN NON-BULK PACKAGES

"A trailor loaded with 8.820 pounds or more hazardous
materials in non-bulk packages with the same proper shipping
name and identification number
, must be marked with the
identification number specified on each side and each end if the
trailor contains no other freight, hazardous or otherwise.
This
is in addition to the specific hazard class placard."

i agree with all who said no un,but look at the un numbers tapped over the corrosive placards. Thats so...I don't know wht that is, but it's not right.

The key is that no other freight can be on the trailer. You have 2 different products that are listed separately on the bill.

The placards are not really in compliance with the hazmat regulations.

§ 172.332 Identification number markings.

(c) Placards. Display of an identification number on a hazard warning placard shall be in conformance with the following:

(1) The identification number shall be displayed across the center area of the placard in 88 mm (3.5 inches) black Alpine Gothic or Alternate Gothic No. 3 numerals on a white background 100 mm (3.9 inches) high and approximately 215 mm (8.5 inches) wide and may be outlined with a solid or dotted line border.

(2) The top of the 100 mm (3.9 inches) high white background shall be approximately 40 mm (1.6 inches) above the placard horizontal center line.

(3) An identification number may be displayed only on a placard corresponding to the primary hazard class of the hazardous material.

(4) For a COMBUSTIBLE placard used to display an identification number, the entire background below the white background for the identification number must be white during transportation by rail and may be white during transportation by highway.

(5) The name of the hazardous material and the hazard class may be shown in letters not more than 18 points high immediately within the upper border of the space on the placard bearing the identification number of the material.

(6) If an identification number is placed over the word(s) on a placard, the word(s) should be substantially covered to maximize the effectiveness of the identification number.

Here's the regulation.

§ 172.301 General marking requirements for non-bulk packagings.

(3) Large quantities of a single hazardous material in non-bulk packages. A transport vehicle or freight container containing only a single hazardous material in non-bulk packages must be marked, on each side and each end as specified in the §172.332 or §172.336, with the identification number specified for the hazardous material in the §172.101 Table, subject to the following provisions and limitations:

(i) Each package is marked with the same proper shipping name and identification number;

(ii) The aggregate gross weight of the hazardous material is 4,000 kg (8,820 pounds) or more;

(iii) All of the hazardous material is loaded at one loading facility;

(iv) The transport vehicle or freight container contains no other material, hazardous or otherwise; and

(v) The identification number marking requirement of this paragraph (a)(3) does not apply to Class 1, Class 7, or to non-bulk packagings for which identification numbers are not required.

Here's the link to the Online Hazmat regs.

Don't rely on FedEx to get it right, always go with the government regs.

Maybe it got loaded by one of the newbies around and they didn't know any better and the red shirts thinking they know everything told him what they wanted him to hear. If it had been the same UN number on both shipments by themselves then the UN numbers would have been needed. I have had paper work included with my bills that said one thing and the placards on the trailer said something else. It's called CYA cuz ain't no one going to do it for you. I wonder how many drivers will get burned by bad paper work when the Feds start cracking down on everything under the sun?

I don't handle haz-mat anymore, however, if BeerBoy and myself were in prison and I made her my Bit##, would I be qualified for haz-mat pay for dealing with BeerBoys BooBoo? J/K BeerMan, I am just funnin....love ya Bro!!! :)

I always use the permissible placarding rules. It cover all bases (FedEx rules and the real laws). No ticket or fines yet and I have been inspected for Hazmat 3 times so far this year alone. Four times last year. When in doubt... placard.

My husband had hazmat on last night. On US287 S in a podunk town in Tx you come to a 4 way stop. This is in construction, truck and trailer length pass the 4 way is a RR crossing. Being placard he put his 4 ways on and stopped at the RR crossing. There was another tractor trailer behind him. This person did not wait for him to clear the RR so the intersection was blocked. Well Barney Fife was on duty and who did he pull? My husband, asked him why he stopped at the RR crossing. It was explained to Barney that if the trailer has placards must stop. Barney said you blocked the intersection. Husband said no big truck behind me did because he didn't wait for me to clear RR. Barney told husband not to stop at that RR crossing anymore or he would write him a ticket. Placards or no placards. Husband laughed and said let's call DOT on this one. Barney drove away mad. Husband is hoping for hazmat again tonight.