ABF | Help..Doing some research on Teamster History

Stoney

TB Veteran
Credits
Just doing some research. What were we making in 1978. Our mileage and hourly rates. I can't find this anywhere on the net. Maybw you longtimers could help.

Stoney,
I know that in 1976 the hourly was $7.76. If that contract was a .50 per year one it would've been $8.76 in 1978. I'm just guessing at the mileage rate but I'd guess right around .23 or .24 per mile?

hourly rates

I recall at one point back in the 70's, I was making $7.11 because it reminded me of the 7/11 store chain. I'm pretty sure it was 1974? I wasn't on mileage then so I don't know what that rate would have been. Jeez, imagine working for $7.11 an hour???

I recall at one point back in the 70's, I was making $7.11 because it reminded me of the 7/11 store chain. I'm pretty sure it was 1974? I wasn't on mileage then so I don't know what that rate would have been. Jeez, imagine working for $7.11 an hour???

yo quiero taco bell ? .... I think that is what most fast food chains pay there employees ... sheeshhh and people attempt to live on that ....

TT,
Back in '76 I was working as a shipping/receiving clerk at a glue factory, of all places. The Teamster drayman who picked up most of the daily LTL was making $7.76 and I was making about $3.00 to load him. I knew I was on the wrong end of the deal and made up my mind to learn to drive a truck. In '77 I was learning in a dump truck and on Sept. 1, 1978 I landed my first tractor trailer job....been doing it ever since.

what a change!

TT,
Back in '76 I was working as a shipping/receiving clerk at a glue factory, of all places. The Teamster drayman who picked up most of the daily LTL was making $7.76 and I was making about $3.00 to load him. I knew I was on the wrong end of the deal and made up my mind to learn to drive a truck. In '77 I was learning in a dump truck and on Sept. 1, 1978 I landed my first tractor trailer job....been doing it ever since.
You made a good move! I can just imagine you sitting there thinking about how much that truck driver was making....... Then you did what it took to better yourself. You made the right move!

You made a good move! I can just imagine you sitting there thinking about how much that truck driver was making....... Then you did what it took to better yourself. You made the right move!
Yep. I was 21 at the time and knew I'd have to do something that would pay the bills for the rest of my life and truck driving sounded good. I really can't complain about it. Sure, times have changed but we're still in the major leagues of trucking thanks to the Teamsters and I don't ever forget it.

we've come a long way.

Yep. I was 21 at the time and knew I'd have to do something that would pay the bills for the rest of my life and truck driving sounded good. I really can't complain about it. Sure, times have changed but we're still in the major leagues of trucking thanks to the Teamsters and I don't ever forget it.
I came from $7.11 an hour but you came from $3 an hour. Look at how much our lives have improved? My gosh, who could ask for more?

My 1st job was in a woolen mill up in Maine in 1965 & the pay rate was $1.25 an hour minimum wage.... When I got out of the service in january, 1969 I was making $3.00 an hour driving a truck as a part timer until I got my union book. I don't remember what union scale was & I only remember the part time $3.00 an hour because I worked 60hrs the 1st week. To be able to make $180.00 in 1 week, I couldn't believe it.....I just found my 1st pay stub from Red Star in nov 1977 & union scale was $8.56 an hour.

My 1st job was in a woolen mill up in Maine in 1965 & the pay rate was $1.25 an hour minimum wage.... When I got out of the service in january, 1969 I was making $3.00 an hour driving a truck as a part timer until I got my union book. I don't remember what union scale was & I only remember the part time $3.00 an hour because I worked 60hrs the 1st week. To be able to make $180.00 in 1 week, I couldn't believe it.....I just found my 1st pay stub from Red Star in nov 1977 & union scale was $8.56 an hour.
ok so based on your pay stub we can establish the pay scale at $8.56 an hour in 1977. That seems to fall into place with what I thought I was making back then. I worked at red star in 87 or maybe 88 and I think we were getting 11.70 or something like that?

Rate!

Stoney,
I know that in 1976 the hourly was $7.76. If that contract was a .50 per year one it would've been $8.76 in 1978. I'm just guessing at the mileage rate but I'd guess right around .23 or .24 per mile?

I thought it was $13.24 back in the early 80s:smilie_132:

I thought it was $13.24 back in the early 80s:smilie_132:
I made $13.21 per hour in 1985 at Holmes Freight Lines, a Union regional carrier based in Omaha. I was a casual combo man but that year the contract was still being negotiated until late may or early June. Everybody made full scale then with the exception of Central Pa. who originally allowed the 70-80-90% into their Supplement in 1982 so the Companies would add a lot of work to the hubs around Carlisle, as I remember it. Then, when the 1985 NMFA was settled the entire Country went to that formula....I have heard and seen it posted here that New England makes a little more than most of the rest of the Country as far as pay goes.

low teens

yes, thinking back, that would sound about right. I went on mileage in 88 and I think I was around 30 cents a mile? Yes, central pa went with the graduated pay scale and that was what took all the road jobs out of new england and based them all in pa. I was living in boston at the time and there were no road jobs to be had with the exception of red star and I believe they were under a different contract, not freight? in 1990 I moved to pa to get on with abf so I could have a road job. Been here ever since. Pay has about doubled since I started here.

Wow. thanks guys...more replys than I expected. you said $9.37 in 78 and now e make $22.00. Am I figuring this right? Is that 425% increase over 20 yrs? Or 234%?

Wow. thanks guys...more replys than I expected. you said $9.37 in 78 and now e make $22.00. Am I figuring this right? Is that 425% increase over 20 yrs? Or 234%?
Well, I have been out of school many years, but from my calculations, yes, it is a 425% increase. My gosh, times have changed.
My mortgage payment back then was $514 and that was high at the time. (it was more than a week's pay, the bank told me). Now my mortgage is $1300 and that is more than a week's pay, but close to the same ratio. So, I guess thanks to the union I have kept pace?

I have an old contract somewhere signed by Jackie Presser. I'm still looking for it... When I finally find it, I'll let you know what the rates were at that period in time. (I know it's here somewhere...never would have thrown that out!)

Not too sure I remember how to figure percentages, but I believe if you increase
an amount by 100% that is the same as doubling it, so if you increase $9.37 by 100% that would be $18.74. By that measure, the increase from $9.37 to $22.00 would be about 135%. Just as an amount, $22.00 would be about 235% of $9.37 or about 2 1/3 times what the 78 rate was...