FedEx Freight | History

As far as grievances go, the business agent serves at your pleasure, if he is lazy and doesn't take care of grievances, you vote his ass out.
As far as you preferring to speak for yourself, as an independent contractor, your situation is just a bit different than ours.

There's wayz to do that without waiting for next election. The business agent thing.

Some people don't feel that the union will change anything, or if it does, not for the better. A friend of mine is a member of the IBT and he's telling me constantly how the union keeps selling them up the river when a new contract comes out, and the scared sheep all vote yes because they're afraid of losing their jobs.

Further still, the guys at UPS Freight who I've spoken to (as well as Canada Cartage, their interline partner) have suggested that the union isn't doing much more for them than negotiating a contract. The pay gets better, the benefits are adjusted, but grievances are very often ignored. Many of the old timers there lament the loss of Overnite and the rise of the union.

I only know what I've heard, mind you. But there are many whom I've spoken to who feel that the union at least provides a voice where there would have been none. I personally prefer to speak for myself. And I will until the day I'm no longer heard.

I am not sure which few Ups Freight employees you have spoken with, but let me speak for many out of New England. We would not want to work for UPS with out a contract no matter how we feel about the union. We have struggled with some grievances. My self I have filed three and won two since we organized. We have job protection, The best pay in the industry, Excellent health care benefits and the cost never increases for the life of the contract and most important to me, a great pension plan. I honestly believe that the company would have decreased all these benefits if we did not have the union negotiating our contract. The protection of my pension is most important to me because I am a 30 plus year driver of Overnite/UPSF who plans to retire soon. I am thankful for the years Overnite gave me and was content at that time. I am even more thankful that UPSF bought Overnite and we now have a contract. The union has provided much more than just a voice for us and that should be very clear to see. Its nice that you prefer to speak for your self, but to a large corporation such as FedEx, your single voice falls on deaf ears........there is power in numbers.

Some people don't feel that the union will change anything, or if it does, not for the better. A friend of mine is a member of the IBT and he's telling me constantly how the union keeps selling them up the river when a new contract comes out, and the scared sheep all vote yes because they're afraid of losing their jobs.

Further still, the guys at UPS Freight who I've spoken to (as well as Canada Cartage, their interline partner) have suggested that the union isn't doing much more for them than negotiating a contract. The pay gets better, the benefits are adjusted, but grievances are very often ignored. Many of the old timers there lament the loss of Overnite and the rise of the union.

I only know what I've heard, mind you. But there are many whom I've spoken to who feel that the union at least provides a voice where there would have been none. I personally prefer to speak for myself. And I will until the day I'm no longer heard.

Brother, all I can say is, we have a choice to ratify or deny. We have a voice and together we use it. Stay informed. Make your voice heard. That is your right so exercise it to the fullest. United we stand, divided we beg. We have a very good opportunity to right all the wrongs in our trade and gain a little back. Stay strong and vote your conscience.

On a side note, if your grievances aren't attended to expeditiously, find out why. You have a voice because "you, the members" are the Union. If your elected officials fail you, you have the power to vote them out of office.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Um, wasn't that the war that emancipated slaves?

So, the comparison that I could draw would be this: Is advisable to risk economic stability to quell moral injustices?...

I am not sure which few Ups Freight employees you have spoken with, but let me speak for many out of New England. We would not want to work for UPS with out a contract no matter how we feel about the union. We have struggled with some grievances. My self I have filed three and won two since we organized. We have job protection, The best pay in the industry, Excellent health care benefits and the cost never increases for the life of the contract and most important to me, a great pension plan. I honestly believe that the company would have decreased all these benefits if we did not have the union negotiating our contract. The protection of my pension is most important to me because I am a 30 plus year driver of Overnite/UPSF who plans to retire soon. I am thankful for the years Overnite gave me and was content at that time. I am even more thankful that UPSF bought Overnite and we now have a contract. The union has provided much more than just a voice for us and that should be very clear to see. Its nice that you prefer to speak for your self, but to a large corporation such as FedEx, your single voice falls on deaf ears........there is power in numbers.

I have a question, you speak of being a 30 yr driver of overnite/upsf, and speak of your pension, does that mean that you worked for overnite and then upsf after they were purchased and that with a contract now your pension is retro back to your overnite years. I'm just curious is all. Thank you in advance.

I have a question, you speak of being a 30 yr driver of overnite/upsf, and speak of your pension, does that mean that you worked for overnite and then upsf after they were purchased and that with a contract now your pension is retro back to your overnite years. I'm just curious is all. Thank you in advance.

I was with Overnite when UPS purchased us. Our pension and seniority was all grandfathered in and then our Overnite pension was changed over to a UPS company pension that was later negotiated and protected through our union contract. All years of service with Overnite and UPSF are considered the same.

Remember the South;which was a sovereign nation at the time in question;was invaded by a foreign nation. A fight for Southern independence resulted. The South surrendered and is still paying the price for fighting and surrendering.
"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
He is training with minimal food and water,in austere conditions,
training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon
and he made his web gear.
He doesn't worry about what workout to do-his ruck weighs what it weighs,
his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not
concerned by"how hard it is"he KNOWS either he wins or dies. He doesn't
go home at 17:00,he is home.
HE KNOWS ONLY THE CAUSE.
STILL WANT TO QUIT!"
NousDefionsDoc