HOS July 1 2013

bigbird42368

TB Veteran
Credits
Hours of Service Changes: July 1, 2013
February 28, 2013
The American Trucking Association (ATA) has announced earlier this week that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has denied ATA’s request to postpone the July 1, 2013 compliance date for the hours of service changes.

Effective July 1, 2013: all drivers and motor carriers must be in compliance with two new rules that may have an impact on those drivers operating on daily basis. The “34-hour restart” rule is likely to have the biggest impact as drivers will now only be able to utilize the restart once every 168 hours (once a week). In addition, the restart must include two periods between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. FMCSA stated that the decision behind the “1 a.m.-5a.m” requirement was based on a history of high crash rates that occur between those hours. The second rule prohibits drivers from driving more than 8 hours continuously without taking at least a 30 minute break. Meal breaks or any other off-duty time of at least 30 minutes will qualify as a break.

Carrier’s currently operating will have until July 1, 2013 at which point federal and state agencies will begin enforcing the rule.

I'm not clear on the 1am -5am Trucking has all kind of start times and round the clock movement. As long as you have you 34 off and don't go over your 70 where's the beef...

I'm not clear on the 1am -5am Trucking has all kind of start times and round the clock movement. As long as you have you 34 off and don't go over your 70 where's the beef...

If you get off Saturday morning at 0800, and don't report back till Monday at 2200, you are covered, basicly for us it means 2 days off or 34 hrs of rest with 0100 to 0500 taken into account, so Sunday am and Monday AM makes you good, it won't affect us much, if at all.

If you never go over your 70 or get close then you can roll it all week, no need for a 34 hr re start and fresh hours, thats how I read it.

If you get off Saturday morning at 0800, and don't report back till Monday at 2200, you are covered, basicly for us it means 2 days off or 34 hrs of rest with 0100 to 0500 taken into account, so Sunday am and Monday AM makes you good, it won't affect us much, if at all.

If you never go over your 70 or get close then you can roll it all week, no need for a 34 hr re start and fresh hours, thats how I read it.

What do you mean you don't get near 70 hours. What are you a part time trucker?...:LMAO: