ABF | HOT Freight @ ABF

The quarterly report states that the company plans to spend 20 million on equipment this year which is long overdue. The company skipped a year buying new equipment & it takes about four years to get back on schedule. The old Sterlings they are selling are not bringing much.

Contractually,....the money to purchase new equipment is supposed to be ...."funded"....by the savings created by our pay cuts and vacation "adjustment". They are contractually required to spend an equal amount of what they would've paid out in wages, as opposed to what they have cut from our wages. So ,.....they are a year behind,...I guess executive bonuses, new acquisitions, and new construction of corporate headquarters for both ABC and Panther got in the way,....or took priority,....over actual operating expenses. Heckuva way to run a trucking company,....I mean, if that's what we actually are, nowadays,....instead of a brokerage tool for Freight Value,....and a cash cow for executive perks..........Sometimes I feel they can hardly wait to get rid of all us stinky truckdrivers, obsolete and expensive equipment, and terminals requiring interminably inordinate expensive upkeep......and just sit back and broker out loads. CH Robinson makes a boat-load of money,....and the bulk of their operating expenses are telephone and e-mail costs.........You don't think every trucking executive with a recalcitrant workforce, aging equipment, and onerous pension and healthcare costs are eyeing up that particular business model?

Contractually,....the money to purchase new equipment is supposed to be ...."funded"....by the savings created by our pay cuts and vacation "adjustment". They are contractually required to spend an equal amount of what they would've paid out in wages, as opposed to what they have cut from our wages. So ,.....they are a year behind,...I guess executive bonuses, new acquisitions, and new construction of corporate headquarters for both ABC and Panther got in the way,....or took priority,....over actual operating expenses. Heckuva way to run a trucking company,....I mean, if that's what we actually are, nowadays,....instead of a brokerage tool for Freight Value,....and a cash cow for executive perks..........Sometimes I feel they can hardly wait to get rid of all us stinky truckdrivers, obsolete and expensive equipment, and terminals requiring interminably inordinate expensive upkeep......and just sit back and broker out loads. CH Robinson makes a boat-load of money,....and the bulk of their operating expenses are telephone and e-mail costs.........You don't think every trucking executive with a recalcitrant workforce, aging equipment, and onerous pension and healthcare costs are eyeing up that particular business model?
The thirty million for the new HEN HOUSE(corporate office) took last years money.

The quarterly report states that the company plans to spend 20 million on equipment this year which is long overdue. The company skipped a year buying new equipment & it takes about four years to get back on schedule. The old Sterlings they are selling are not bringing much.
Speaking of the Sterlings...does anybody else have this problem: when you have your flashers on, and you put on the brake, does it 'freeze' the flashers? I brought this up with our Regional Safety Manager several months ago and haven't seen anything to fix this issue. I drove a Sterling while at Conway and never had this problem.

Speaking of the Sterlings...does anybody else have this problem: when you have your flashers on, and you put on the brake, does it 'freeze' the flashers? I brought this up with our Regional Safety Manager several months ago and haven't seen anything to fix this issue. I drove a Sterling while at Conway and never had this problem.
It is not a problem that is how Fords work including their light trucks. I agree that it is not good.

It is not a problem that is how Fords work including their light trucks. I agree that it is not good.
It's an ABF thing because the Mack's do the same thing.I think it's a safety issue when your coming into a traffic jam and trying to warn vehicles behind by turning on your 4ways and braking at the same time.Or when your trying to back in off street into a loading dock and applying the breaks.I don't understand the logic in having them wired like that!

It's an ABF thing because the Mack's do the same thing.I think it's a safety issue when your coming into a traffic jam and trying to warn vehicles behind by turning on your 4ways and braking at the same time.Or when your trying to back in off street into a loading dock and applying the breaks.I don't understand the logic in having them wired like that!
My daily tractor is a Sterling, but I've driven our Mack's before and never had the flasher problem with them. Seems to me it could be as simple as changing out the flasher unit.

Nope, not just an ABF thing, my Ford trucks at home do the same thing and I don't doubt that some Macks might do it but not all of them and I have driven one Sterling that didn't do it. I still don't like it.

Nope, not just an ABF thing, my Ford trucks at home do the same thing and I don't doubt that some Macks might do it but not all of them and I have driven one Sterling that didn't do it. I still don't like it.
I stand corrected brother!Everyone I driven so far has done it.I drive a chevy pickup at home so I wouldn't no.

I stand corrected brother!Everyone I driven so far has done it.I drive a chevy pickup at home so I wouldn't no.
All the tractors I have driven at ABF have been wired this way. I was told it was a safety thing, as in the way AkitaDog described in an earlier post.

Which model year Ford light trucks are you referring to? Because I currently have one and have had many others in the past and, again, never had this issue.

Which model year Ford light trucks are you referring to? Because I currently have one and have had many others in the past and, again, never had this issue.
1990 Ford van has the symptoms. Checked and the newer model does not, I thought it did.

This has been debated for some time. I remember years back when the first ones were wired to cancel flashing lights when the brakes are applied. The manufacturer said that "Studies & Tests" showed that all four rear trailer lights bright would attract motorists attention who were following more than the traditional inner brake lights going to bright & the outside lights flashing. I think a flashing light will attract attention more than a solid light. I don't know if there is any DOT regulation on either method.

This has been debated for some time. I remember years back when the first ones were wired to cancel flashing lights when the brakes are applied. The manufacturer said that "Studies & Tests" showed that all four rear trailer lights bright would attract motorists attention who were following more than the traditional inner brake lights going to bright & the outside lights flashing. I think a flashing light will attract attention more than a solid light. I don't know if there is any DOT regulation on either method.
Well, I just think it's weird, not to mention damn unsafe.

,...I guess executive bonuses, new acquisitions, and new construction of corporate headquarters for both ABC and Panther got in the way,....or took priority,....over actual operating expenses. ........Sometimes I feel they can hardly wait to get rid of all us stinky truckdrivers, obsolete and expensive equipment, and terminals requiring interminably inordinate expensive upkeep......and just sit back and broker out loads. CH Robinson makes a boat-load of money,....and the bulk of their operating expenses are telephone and e-mail costs.........You don't think every trucking executive with a recalcitrant workforce, aging equipment, and onerous pension and healthcare costs are eyeing up that particular business model?
They doubled the dividend from 3 cents to 6 cents per share.

it has been that way since they have been new