XPO | How do OD drivers avoid the dock?

I was offered a job there a few years ago, but unfortunately, they don’t have any decent line runs. One pays by the hour. I could suck it up for a while, but there didn’t seem to be any good potential. I checked back recently and nothing has changed.
Billo has changed. He now uses Kobota mowers, exclusively.

Diver past the one in Carlisle PA and it looks the same. XPO manegemnet sure could training from a company that know how to run FAC.....Leson one would be buy more trailers.
Why invest in trailers when customers and employees are bailing left and right.
XPO manufacturers there own trailers out of Searcy Arkansas.
I don't remember the exact number of trailers they produce weekly or monthly for us, but I remember it is astonishingly low.

Last edited:
How is it that we spend 5+ hours on the FAC dock every night but OD drivers are able to do meet and turns/avoid the dock? Is it OD's business model that allows for that or do they just run a way more efficient dock operation with higher staff levels? Seems like our freight volumes are similar yet I've never heard of OD linehaul being forced to work the dock? I know I see a fair amount of OD sleepers and I've heard they're a 7 day operation, but does that really make enough difference?

I personally don't mind some dock work, but when they're keeping us at the FAC until 0600 it gets a bit ridiculous.
Ive been with Conway/XPO for 28 years and have recently been given the opportunity to go to work for OD.Should I take advantage of this situation or should I stay at XPO and ride it out?

Ive been with Conway/XPO for 28 years and have recently been given the opportunity to go to work for OD.Should I take advantage of this situation or should I stay at XPO and ride it out?
Depends , how many more years you got left before retirement ? Have you checked into UPS feeders ?

Being with Conway/XPO for 28 years means that you have some real aces in your hand for NOT folding and running somewhere else, OD, where the grass is tantalizingly Greener. Ace #1) you have accrued enough time to be pulling down 7 weeks worth of PTO’s a year. where are you gonna go to get a job that offers that kind of time off? LTL’s don’t offer that generous benefit today. Ace#2) you surly must be number 1 senior top dog at your barn…or very near the top. Soooooo, you must have the best big money line haul run or the best start time (big money),p&d pick that you want.

why in the world would you throw all that away??? I had 25.5 years with Conway/XPO and junior guys would hound and ask me every year for the last 10 years of my run, when you gonna retire driver, you’re preventing me from moving up and getting what you have.

you do what you gotta do driver, but if it were me, I’d relish my high seniority position and milk it for all its worth. No LTL carrier, even gravy train OD, would start you w/ the comparable gig that you now have. Maybe a ups feeder job would suit you better, but you’d still be at the bottom of the seniority list.

just my 2 cents…for what it’s worth.

I had 25.5 years with Conway/XPO and junior guys would hound and ask me every year for the last 10 years of my run, when you gonna retire driver, you’re preventing me from moving up and getting what you have.
What those junior guy don't understand if no one is coming in below them, they are not moving up. They are still XX number from the bottom and will always be until they hire more and then you move up

#1) you have accrued enough time to be pulling down 7 weeks worth of PTO’s a year.
What good is 7 weeks vac if the other 45 weeks are a living hell to him
you must have the best big money line haul run or the best start time (big money),p&d pick that you want.
for some it not always about the money. Many have left here and now have a better quality of life then they did here, being high on the seniority list

Being with Conway/XPO for 28 years means that you have some real aces in your hand for NOT folding and running somewhere else, OD, where the grass is tantalizingly Greener. Ace #1) you have accrued enough time to be pulling down 7 weeks worth of PTO’s a year. where are you gonna go to get a job that offers that kind of time off? LTL’s don’t offer that generous benefit today. Ace#2) you surly must be number 1 senior top dog at your barn…or very near the top. Soooooo, you must have the best big money line haul run or the best start time (big money),p&d pick that you want.

why in the world would you throw all that away??? I had 25.5 years with Conway/XPO and junior guys would hound and ask me every year for the last 10 years of my run, when you gonna retire driver, you’re preventing me from moving up and getting what you have.

you do what you gotta do driver, but if it were me, I’d relish my high seniority position and milk it for all its worth. No LTL carrier, even gravy train OD, would start you w/ the comparable gig that you now have. Maybe a ups feeder job would suit you better, but you’d still be at the bottom of the seniority list.

just my 2 cents…for what it’s worth.
Xpo won't be around much longer if they don't make a change.Im not saying they'll shut the doors.I believe they'll be sold soon though,and btw there's no more gravy at xpo