FedEx Freight | How does the FedEx Express System work?

Drake

TB Lurker
Credits
My understanding is that FedEx Express tractor trailer drivers are actual company employees just like the package car drivers. Are the FedEx tractor trailer drivers also FedEx Freight drivers or is that something different?:confused:

Fedex Freight is the LTL division of Fedex. It is basically comprised of 2 companies bought buy Fedex and put under the Fedex banner. Those 2 companies were American Freightways and Viking. There may be other companies purchased by Fedex but I am unaware of who they were or are. I'm sure as more people find their way back to the new forum, some Fedex drivers like Smokestack will chime in.

The smoke is clearing and it is time to get my members back on track in here.

all seperate divisions,different pay schedule, benefits, etc etc Express, freight, custom critical all different divisions with different rules pay etc etc,

Santaclause said:
all seperate divisions,different pay schedule, benefits, etc etc Express, freight, custom critical all different divisions with different rules pay etc etc,

Aren't east and west two different companies? Same banner different rules!!!!!!!!:wtflol:

thats right pompano east west , I have lappses in memory once in awhile it from the all :BS: :BS: fumes I inhale on a nightly basis :smilie_132: :smilie_132:

Santaclause said:

So when FedEd Express packages are loaded in a trailer for transport to a hub, airport, etc., what division does the tractor trailer driver work for?:duh:

Drake said:
So when FedEd Express packages are loaded in a trailer for transport to a hub, airport, etc., what division does the tractor trailer driver work for?:duh:
Ok,
Think of Fred ***** the CEO of FedEx as the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff. Think of all the operating units, Express, Ground, Home, Freight, Custom Critical as the army, navy, airforce, marines, yadda, yadda. Items shipped express are handled by express employees start to finish. Ground handles ground and home deliveries. Freight is freight. We all work under the same banner, our sales people sell for each other, once in a while an employee from another division will wave at me. We are all company employees except Ground and Home who are all independant contractors or employees thereof. This is a holdover from when it was Roadway Package Service and is currently subject to litigation by less than gruntled people.

Drake said:
You stated it within your initial question. Fedex express!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:duh: :smilie_132:

Drake said:
Okay, so FedEx Express has their own tractor trailer drivers. Is that correct?
I met an Express driver the other day driving a bobtail, I asked him if he drove tractor trailers and he said he did sometimes but he has had the bobtail route for a couple of years. He said they call it Fed Ex Express heavy weight, and told me we (freight) were getting a lot of what he used to pick up. They are moving it over to us, I guess that would make sence if they can move it with trucks but I figured that most of what he picks up goes through the air.

Fedex Express has what they call a Heavy weight Division or P/U D. Most of it next day commit 1030/1200 some 2 day. its split 2/3 air 1/3 trucked. They are all hourly employees in express, top out at 24.17 in NYC. Not a bad gig, just your alway chasing a clock.

FedEx Custom Critical drivers, Passport and Auto Trans are also owner operators acting as independant contractors for FedEx Custom Critical, which is part of FedEx Freight Systems now. Less time sensitive freight for FedEx Custom Critical will actually travel on FedEx Freight trucks now with the green tape and be called FedEx Custom Critical Expedited Network Freight. This is our old American Flyer and Expediate Guaranteed freight. If the freight gets stalled, Custom Critical can meet the freight at the nearest FedEx Freight customer service center and put it on an exclusive use Custom Critical truck and finish the job from that point. They are also taking the FedEx Express Freight (Heavy Weight) and trying to keep it in the FedEx Freight system and let Express just worry about the packages. The Harrisburg terminal is an old Express Freight terminal converted to Freight use.

Rob

More good info on the way things work ,
Thanks again Rob aka militaryman4.