FedEx Freight | How safe are exhaust fumes from gas forklift?

Keep on trucking

TB Lurker
Credits
I noticed that the Irving, Tx HUB has a fleet of over 80 gas forklifts.
I though that gas forklifts were prefered for outdoor use.

It seems that at night when all the doors are "plugged" with a trailer, the fumes from the forklifts have nowhere to go.

Can anyone inform of the safety for operators of using a fleet of gas forklifts in an "enclosed" wearhouse

On the various safety videos, I see online, Fedex uses electric forklifts...

Are you talking about gas as in gasoline, or gas as in propane gas? Although propane gas burns cleaner than gasoline, and you shouldn't have a problem so long as your working in a well ventilated area, they both produce carbon monoxide gas which is colorless, and tasteless. Headaches are one of the first signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Forklifts were Propane gas. Could not tell that the work area was well ventilated.
I got light headed the minute I walked in. As long as carbon monoxide gas is only colorless and tasteless but not toxic I am sure they will be alright
I assume the employees are not exposed 8 hours a day to fumes anyway

Fedex received a 1.3 million dollar grant from the department of energy to convert 35 electrical forklifts to hydrogen powered forklifts. For every hour of use of an electrical forklift, one hour of charging is required, which means they can't be used around the clock. A hydrogen powered forklift only takes three minutes to charge for eight hours of use, and it only produces water vapor emissions. TP

Carbon Monoxide gas is extremely toxic. If your feeling light headed, then there isn't enough ventilation, and management should be notified immediately, so they can monitor the carbon monoxide emissions on the dock, and make the appropriate changes.

You should see CGT when the hub is going you can see the smoke hanging all around the inside if the dock. They don't care that's why they have old junk that barley runs. If that doesn't get you all the smells from the surrounding factories will.

Twice Pipes, I highly doubt Carbon Monoxide coming from forklift be toxic or management would have taken actions to protect/inform operators.
And if it were to have any level of toxicity, forklift operators could wear dust masks to protect against it

carbon monoxide can be deadly if at a high enough concentration. It interfers with the human bodies ability to oxygenate cells.

Ever heard of a carbon monoxide detector for your house?

Twice Pipes, I highly doubt Carbon Monoxide coming from forklift be toxic or management would have taken actions to protect/inform operators.
And if it were to have any level of toxicity, forklift operators could wear dust masks to protect against it

Dust mask don't work. You still inhale it.

In fact, propane is listed as an approved clean fuel by U.S. Government energy policy makers and energy administrative bodies. The Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, TX has conducted numerous studies on propane emissions and determined that using propane cuts smog producing exhaust by as much as 70 percent. Propane engine exhaust is so clean and friendly to the environment that propane powered forklifts operate inside warehouses throughout the world. Think about the last time you saw a diesel powered forklift inside a warehouse. Additionally, many propane fueled vehicles are certified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as meeting the Ultra Low Emission Vehicle standard. Propane is a very clean burning fuel, without a doubt.

Propane, the Environment and Propane Emissions

If you think for a minute that a paper dust mask will protect you, you're dead wrong. If you don't believe this park one of these in an enclosed garage and put your mask on and let this propane forklift run all night and you'll be dead in a couple hours. I hope you're not this stupid. If these propane powered units are as safe as you think why don't you put a propane heater in your living room. You get the picture now? I hope.

There are just so many things wrong with this statement it is not even funny.
Carbon Monoxide kills.
Management is just as mis-informed as you are.
A Paper dust mask does what it says it does, semi protects you from inhaling DUST, the toxic fumes will still go through the paper mask.

Me thinks you have too much bain dramage from sucking in to many toxic fumes that you are actually believing that management really knows something, other than how much their paycheck was last week. I mean really, do you live in a box under a rock to think that exhaust fumes from a forkift could not be, and are not toxic? Really???

Everyone knows that it is our employers TOP priority to look out for us and protect our health at all cost and that a dime store dust mask is effective against ALL toxins...real or imagined. Its all good...now get back to work.

In fact, propane is listed as an approved clean fuel by U.S. Government energy policy makers and energy administrative bodies. The Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, TX has conducted numerous studies on propane emissions and determined that using propane cuts smog producing exhaust by as much as 70 percent. Propane engine exhaust is so clean and friendly to the environment that propane powered forklifts operate inside warehouses throughout the world. Think about the last time you saw a diesel powered forklift inside a warehouse. Additionally, many propane fueled vehicles are certified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as meeting the Ultra Low Emission Vehicle standard. Propane is a very clean burning fuel, without a doubt.

Propane, the Environment and Propane Emissions

this would be 100% correct. good post super 10

I smell a troll, folks. Someone has their panties in a wad about something and thinks they'll bring Big Bad FedEx down over propane lift exhaust.

oaf (guarding bridges for billy goats. no trolls!)

I worked for Averitt Express in '95 before AF and we had diesel powerd lifts. After ten hours on the dock you would have black soot on the corners of your mouth and under your nose. We complaind and they did an air quality test in the middle of the operation. The report came back well within the acceptable limits. So I would think that with propane there would be no question.