Yellow | Huge Management Layoff at UPS

UPS to cut 12,000 positions: Jan 30, 2024
From the article you cited. Not one Teamster job is included in the BS you posted.
Five months after unionized UPS workers ratified a massive five-year labor deal that included massive pay bumps (read: here), the logistics company announced on Tuesday morning that 12,000 jobs, or about 14% of its 85,000 management jobs, would be cut.

Chief Executive Officer Carol Tomé was quoted on an earnings call by Bloomberg as saying job reductions were due to sliding package demand and soaring union labor costs. She said the layoffs would save the company about $1 billion this year.
Sounds to me like "dead wood" is being pruned.

Pardon me if I don't shed any tears for the loss of jobs that are NOT mission critical.

From the article you cited. Not one Teamster job is included in the BS you posted.
Five months after unionized UPS workers ratified a massive five-year labor deal that included massive pay bumps (read: here), the logistics company announced on Tuesday morning that 12,000 jobs, or about 14% of its 85,000 management jobs, would be cut.
<snip>
Pardon me if I don't shed any tears for the loss of jobs that are NOT mission critical.
Whether management or labor, those job cuts affect real people with families to support. Not a good thing in any event.

Careful what you wish for Stimp. Do you really want more Government control over your life decisions?
You do know that I was being sarcastic.....

I don't buy nothing... Nada. ...zip... though Amazon.

Much like when Walmart exploded putting shopping centers everywhere.... I was a Kmart person.... We even had a store called Hills that had good reasonable products and prices.

You do know that I was being sarcastic.....

I don't buy nothing... Nada. ...zip... though Amazon.

Much like when Walmart exploded putting shopping centers everywhere.... I was a Kmart person.... We even had a store called Hills that had good reasonable products and prices.
I've been sad since Woolworth's, Kresge's, McCrory's, and the other five and dimes disappeared along with their great lunch counters. :idunno:

Will you say the same thing when half the package sorters are replaced by machine? As to mission criticalness of jobs, better be careful what you wish for.

I'm not well-versed in the UPS org chart, so I don't know how much redundancy/dead-wood there was. However, cutting 1 out 7 management jobs ought to be an eye-opener for every employee there. Revenue was down 9% and net income down 29% YOY. Did the IBT/Teamsters demand too much or was there a whole bunch of inefficiencies/waste in the corporate structure? Likely a fair amount of both.

How many warehouses have you been to that are 100,000-1,000,000 square feet with 10 cars in the parking lot? I've been to enough to realize that is the future as soon as it becomes cost effective. One side of that cost continues to decrease (technology/computer/robotics costs) while the other continues to increase (labor). It's only a matter of time, I'd prefer we take baby steps so that it takes much longer.

Whether management or labor, those job cuts affect real people with families to support. Not a good thing in any event.
Trip, my point was truckerx's post in this thread was quite disingenuous. An uninformed or casual reader would easily interpret the link to mean the jobs were Teamsters. As truckerx gave no context to his allegations.

Trip, my point was truckerx's post in this thread was quite disingenuous. An uninformed or casual reader would easily interpret the link to mean the jobs were Teamsters. As truckerx gave no context to his allegations.
Have to disagree Al, he made no reference to Teamsters in his post. In fact the title of the thread he started specifically mentions "management layoff." It may be that you jumped to conclusions. His comment stated "positions", that's all. And I was disappointed by your last comment about "not shedding tears". It's real people that are affected. :idunno:

Great??? eh um 😐 nostalgia going a bit far....maybe .....
Absolutely great, a thousand times better than the fast food selections we're stuck with today. Real choices with waitresses taking your order. I remember being on the road and being able to sit at a counter or a booth at a Thruway/Turnpike service area and get waited on and get something decent to eat at a Howard Johnson or a Hot Shoppes. Now stand in line to get fast food crap and then go find someplace clean to sit. I'll take my "nostalgia" any time over today's method. :smile new:

Will you say the same thing when half the package sorters are replaced by machine? As to mission criticalness of jobs, better be careful what you wish for.

I'm not well-versed in the UPS org chart, so I don't know how much redundancy/dead-wood there was. However, cutting 1 out 7 management jobs ought to be an eye-opener for every employee there. Revenue was down 9% and net income down 29% YOY. Did the IBT/Teamsters demand too much or was there a whole bunch of inefficiencies/waste in the corporate structure? Likely a fair amount of both.

How many warehouses have you been to that are 100,000-1,000,000 square feet with 10 cars in the parking lot? I've been to enough to realize that is the future as soon as it becomes cost effective. One side of that cost continues to decrease (technology/computer/robotics costs) while the other continues to increase (labor). It's only a matter of time, I'd prefer we take baby steps so that it takes much longer.
Your right. Anyone inside UPS will tell you the new Automated Hubs they are building are job killers.
Fully automated terminals that sort, and scan at high speed. The freaking trolly cars used inside the hubs
drive themselves. You leave an older HUB with 100’s of employees inside per shift to bring a load to an Automated hub and walk inside there 10 people per 70 doors.