Yellow | Huge UPS rival that filed for bankruptcy made sick payments days before filing

I've had my disagreements with Tri at times, but he always fair and even headed, never personal. He deserves everyone's respect on here.
Actually we need more like him...
I would say we are all pretty close now...with company paid insurance (which Mrs. 381, a medical coder and biller, says is the best going) and pension putting us over the top.....I'm sure that bothers a union hater....
381, try not to be angry and bitter about this. Hopefully one day you too can earn Puffy’s respect and approval!!!
:hide::poke::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Unfortunately the Change of Ops should have happened a long time ago, like it or not. I believe company screwed the one up on the west coast severely. I believe they deliberately got rid of some freight to make second phase go smoother. They over priced some freight and kept getting cheaper junk freight from 3pl’s. I think the economy turned sour on them with out them planning for it. They were losing freight and volume and never adjusted work force, both hourly and salary. We saw freight fall off by 50% and only reduction of labor was retired or people quitting. Then when they started laying off it was so far gone it was too late. Did they want to get rid of drivers, I think so.
Did the IBT act responsibly, no. If you’re on life support does doctor want you to get up and walk to surgery? NO. IBT could have handled it differently. Who was overseeing the book’s like we were told several years ago? If IBT had someone on the board why did they allow bonuses in the end? Why did board members not step up and say “ hey you’re losing freight and money, get your expenses down, NOW”. Why

And that was the problem. Just showing up didn't get 'er done. I came to work, did my job really well (ask my manager, and just about anybody else), encouraged others to do their job the same way, and wasn't the slightest bit afraid to "get in the knickers" of Senior VPs if necessary. Didn't happen often, but it did happen. Once on this forum, I put a number to the mess. I'll restate it: 65% poor management, 20% Sean O'Brien and 15% some of the brethren. I will readjust that for cause now: 70% poor management, 15% Sean O'Brien and 15% some of the brethren. Reality is, those lazy brethren created more than 15% of the trouble, but part of management's job is to address that.
Yellow had the 50 mil for H&W arears but said they were advised by their lender not to pay it... wanted to complete their integration of the One Yellow plan that would have destroyed some job classifications by requiring road drivers to load/ unload trlrs at straight time during the completion of their 14 hr shifts. How long do you think ABF and T Force would have tolerated that without demanding the same concessions? 14 hrs of forced work opportunity at straight time? Yellow management was out to destroy the unionized LTL sector, pure and simple. They never intended to bargain in good faith. BTW: those bonuses will be clawed back by the court. That was so blatant.

Last edited:
When the leader of an organization, which I have belonged to for over 50 years, does little to prevent the loss of employment of 22,000 members of that organization, at a time when there are so few members left in LTL compared to past years, I have every right to criticize his inaction. Since those 22,000 members represent over 57% of Teamsters employed in LTL freight, it was certainly time for thinking outside the box. Sadly SOB failed miserably in that and I'll criticize him for his inaction regardless of how many cheerleaders he has here.
Just say you were jealous of the guy who was 80 years old collecting his social security and pension while still holding the longest run at the terminal. It's okay. Let it out.

Just say you were jealous of the guy who was 80 years old collecting his social security and pension while still holding the longest run at the terminal. It's okay. Let it out.
Lets say you can't up with an intellegent response to my post so you make up some non-relevant nonsense to post. It's OK. Let it out.

I actually knew a guy that did that. Hal had a San Jose bid turn out of Reno 6 days a week over Donner Pass both ways winter and summer.. You just stand in awe of a horse like that. I asked him why he did it, and he said his ex wasn't going to get half his pension.

Yellow had the 50 mil for H&W arears but said they were advised by their lender not to pay it... wanted to complete their integration of the One Yellow plan that would have destroyed some job classifications by requiring road drivers to load/ unload trlrs at straight time during the completion of their 14 hr shifts. How long do you think ABF and T Force would have tolerated that without demanding the same concessions? 14 hrs of forced work opportunity at straight time? Yellow management was out to destroy the unionized LTL sector, pure and simple. They never intended to bargain in good faith. BTW: those bonuses will be clawed back by the court. That was so blatant.
A lot of guy’s didn’t understand what the Holland work rules were on line haul. A lot did kick and pick on a through terminal. Had they followed what Holland did and move freight in that model, they wouldn’t have been broke. It worked for Holland for many, many years. Nope instead take a profitable company and try and reinvent the wheel.

Unfortunately the Change of Ops should have happened a long time ago, like it or not. I believe company screwed the one up on the west coast severely. I believe they deliberately got rid of some freight to make second phase go smoother. They over priced some freight and kept getting cheaper junk freight from 3pl’s. I think the economy turned sour on them with out them planning for it. They were losing freight and volume and never adjusted work force, both hourly and salary. We saw freight fall off by 50% and only reduction of labor was retired or people quitting. Then when they started laying off it was so far gone it was too late. Did they want to get rid of drivers, I think so.
Did the IBT act responsibly, no. If you’re on life support does doctor want you to get up and walk to surgery? NO. IBT could have handled it differently. Who was overseeing the book’s like we were told several years ago? If IBT had someone on the board why did they allow bonuses in the end? Why did board members not step up and say “ hey you’re losing freight and money, get your expenses down, NOW”. Why
Valid points. My guess is that the IBT board member was a Hoffa appointee. He may have taken his bonus in diamonds like Biden, just sayin... But regardless, what you have described is a horrible and irrationally incompetent business model managed by incompetent management. Hawkins, et al, shouldn't be allowed to handle sharp instruments for fear of harming themselves.

I don't think initially anyone was out to destroy any company.
I tend to think that Yellow wanted to do the same thing that Fed Ex Freight did.
Create a Super LTL Carrier from purchasing a collection of mid size to large carriers. Then put them all together into one mega carrier.
Unfortunately with union carriers that has never worked, Fed Ex Freight did it very successfully and is now by far, the largest LTL carrier in America.
And Yellow.........