I know they give you one

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So I am getting ready to go work at GFS, start date is Monday 2 2015 literally gave my self no time off between starting one job ending the other (stupid) Oh well doesn't matter. Anyhow I know they give you a wheeler to use, but it's going to be hard and I'll be struggling at first so I had to buy my self another wheeler to use as well. I also bought a curb ramp. The beer company never gave me a curb ramp, however some guys do have them.

Anyhow I bought my self this wheeler from global industrial supply:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...le-brake-truck-loop-handle-foam-filled-wheels

I have another Magliner hand truck that I paid almost $700.00 for the problem is, it's got pneumatic tires and no breaks. It is also a convertible into a cart. I don't think it would really work to well though for GFS though, because it can't go down stairs as a cart. Plus it has no break and can't go down the ramp. However where it would work, but that's to much double handling is set it up at the bottom and unload the one wheeler on it and then depending on the customer like if it was a dock stop at a school cafeteria and the school was big enough you could set the convertible hand truck up and it probably can carry the loading equivalent of 2 hand trucks in one roll, problem is you can't kick out from underneath it. You have to unload everything from it and load everything on it so you're double handling. Which is why I've never really seen companies use them for that.

The carts/U-Boats are usually used by the guys who do snacks or pop where they have to stock the shelves or stock the vending machines.

jpngM0T.jpg

Don't waste your money, GFS will provide you with your own cart (much like the one you linked) and a curb ramp. GFS buys the best 2 wheelers I've ever seen. They have a specific dolly design to decrease the chance of injuries. Our manager won't allow any other style.

Wyse carts rock

I have mixed feelings on tires. If I could only have one, it would definitely be pneumatic. Bumping up an inch or two into a freezer is so much easier, as well as rolling thru a little snow or across grass. I like the solid tires if it's nice and smooth running. But then, we have been getting ramps in our new trailers with I-beam siderails, that grab the short sidewalls on the solid tires and throw me over the side.

I carry two carts, one of each as far as tires go.

At Sysco I had a mag liner with brakes, it was a nice cart but some of the guys bought their own most of them had the wyse two wheelers and I thought they were the best carts, they are customizable and quality. Google wyse industrial carts, they are made in Ohio to.

Also modern handling will send you a book and give you a discount if you work in food service. Super nice and I get mine delivered in 2-3 days. They also carry curb ramps and load bars.

Flat tire on my wheeler a couple weeks back, spare tire I carry was also flat (lotta good that did,shame on me for not watching it).
Extra driver brings me a spare wheeler and takes mine back to the shop. Go in the garage the next morning and find they popped another wheel on the left side...and that wheel's about 20% larger than the wheel on the right side...
Thanks for fixing it I guess, but not gonna work guys.

Never did care much for the breakdown carts. #1 if I'm only using it for a stop or two it's taking up space that I'd rather use to sort product (bigger issue at Sysco than GFS since they floor load), #2 like Mike said you gotta unstack the darn thing, and #3 if I get creative with the stacking and the stars otherwise align right I can a lot of times come close to getting the same # of cases on a wheeler anyway

My convertible cart has the long tounge on it so it can hold quite a bit, but the problem is the same it's going to take longer to loaded it and unload it where with the vertical wheeler I can just kick out and go versus unload each case. For liquor delivery the cart converting to a U-Boat was fine, because that business wasn't nearly as fast paced and the way the stuff was boxed. Yeah the convertible might hold 2.5 regular dolly loads, but I don't think that would really equate to any real time savings.

I'll have to see what GFS says. Like Gaurdrail said they have a dolly they want you to use so that pretty much lands the plane on that if I needed another one I would just ask if I could buy one from there company store.

For me, the big advantage of having two carts comes when the trailer starts to open up and I have room to stack up both. It makes breaking down a pallet way easier, like when you have product that goes to a completely different part of the store. Instead of throwing those cases out of the way, I stack them on the extra cart until I have a full load to run in. I could be like a bunch of our other drivers and throw it all together, but I take care of my customers.

It would be cool if GFS lets me use another wheeler. I might ask if I can buy one of there's with my own money that way I'll have two.

It would be cool if GFS lets me use another wheeler. I might ask if I can buy one of there's with my own money that way I'll have two.
I'm sure they will be happy to provide you with another wheeler Mike, just ask them, don't spend your money on that stuff, GFS will provide what you need like Guardrail said!

I was issued mine last Friday it's older, but it's cool. I also use my Magliner from home they were cool with that as well.