Yellow | If you are thinking about leaving, don't!

wild deuce

TB Veteran
Credits
This thread is intended to apply to Yellow, Roadway, Holland, and ALL of our subsidiaries. I can not post this thread on all forums so I hope all forums will read what I have to say. If you are paying attention, YRCW will not be able to function without ALL companies because this is the sole reason they are making changes... YRCW wants our customers to be able to go to one place to get all thier needs. YRCW cannnot promise this to the customers without ALL OF US! DO NOT FALL FOR ANY B.S. YRCW will offer you employment with one of OUR other companies when you are layed off. The catch...Lower wages. etc. Do NOT get swayed. Stand your ground. UNITED WE STAND!!! divided we fail!

What I don't understand is how they will keep all of us. I'm low man on totem pole at my terminal, 2nd from the bottom and waiting on a bunch of upcoming retirements to get off ths seemingly unending lay off crap. Now if they merge Roadway in with my Yellow terminal, I'm even lower, probably under the laid off Roadway guys.

I'm beginning to think it's hopeless ... no light at the end of the tunnel, I'm afraid.

Tell me I'm wrong?!

I agree wild duece. I am currently laid off from Usf Holland, and am employed by Roadway (both line haul). Im just waiting to see whats going to happen. But we are in a good position to run rough shot over the non union competition. Hopefully this merger ends up being a positive thing. Stay united, Prorac1

im bottom at my barn too now to intergrate roadways barn down the road,add the extra ue drivers that wont be needed for velocity and will be city, top off with the opprtunity the road guys get to come city come january= bye bye bottom 10% at least.sure they will make money selling off barns but to eliminate some payroll and paying into bennies and its a stockholders dream.guarranteed we bottoms will be on the outside lookin in. been there done it before.

This thread is intended to apply to Yellow, Roadway, Holland, and ALL of our subsidiaries. I can not post this thread on all forums so I hope all forums will read what I have to say. If you are paying attention, YRCW will not be able to function without ALL companies because this is the sole reason they are making changes... YRCW wants our customers to be able to go to one place to get all thier needs. YRCW cannnot promise this to the customers without ALL OF US! DO NOT FALL FOR ANY B.S. YRCW will offer you employment with one of OUR other companies when you are layed off. The catch...Lower wages. etc. Do NOT get swayed. Stand your ground. UNITED WE STAND!!! divided we fail!

This sounds crazy but he is right there are customers that are loyal to a brand HOLLAND< YELLOW<ROADWAY, and over look the parent company. Any one who has worked the dock on outbound or inbound has seen there is a point that you can be to big,and get to be ineffecient. Full truck loads to line haul and partial loads to UE no more kick and pick.
One thing we should fight for is the right to go work at other barn in same area if layed off (at full scale) before any part timers are used after all we know the freight and the work better than any one.

One thing we should fight for is the right to go work at other barn in same area if layed off (at full scale) before any part timers are used after all we know the freight and the work better than any one.

So you've got input for the next contract. That's 5 years away. This is now....

im bottom at my barn too now to intergrate roadways barn down the road,add the extra ue drivers that wont be needed for velocity and will be city, top off with the opprtunity the road guys get to come city come january= bye bye bottom 10% at least.sure they will make money selling off barns but to eliminate some payroll and paying into bennies and its a stockholders dream.guarranteed we bottoms will be on the outside lookin in. been there done it before.
i don't really know what you guys all have for seniority, but here at roadway, there are MANY facilities where you need AT LEAST 15-20 years to hold a spot on the active lists....here in winston-salem after Sat 0.0 we will have men with 16-17 who are now laid off...that brings our total to approx 67 now on the dock and slightly more in linehaul....the g-man:red_bandana:

What I don't understand is how they will keep all of us. I'm low man on totem pole at my terminal, 2nd from the bottom and waiting on a bunch of upcoming retirements to get off ths seemingly unending lay off crap. Now if they merge Roadway in with my Yellow terminal, I'm even lower, probably under the laid off Roadway guys.

I'm beginning to think it's hopeless ... no light at the end of the tunnel, I'm afraid.

Tell me I'm wrong?!

If this merger is done the way it's spelled out in the contract, the laid off Roadway guys will remain laid off until they're needed. When they return to work they will dovetail at that time.

I'm in a similar position. I could be near the bottom of the active seniority list for a long time. Or I could get layed off the first slow period after the merger and possibly be layed off until my seniority allows me to return.

Tell me I'm wrong?!

Lee,

Keep your head up, I know being on layoff sucks. You need to ride this out as long as you can because know one knows what is going to happen. There are a alot of scenerios that can play out. You have to take into consideration what terminals are owned and leased, can they expand on the land they have? Right now there is Lakeland (Roadway owned?), Tampa (Yellow owned) + (Roadway leased), St. Pete.(Roadway owned). Roadway runs Venice out of Ft. Myers but we run it out of Tampa, so does our Venice run go to Ft. Myers? They may split the areas up again,thus the terminals, who knows its 15 months away. Don't forget Roadway also has 2 terminals sitting vacant in Sarasota and West Tampa, though West Tampa is a hole and probably would not reopen.

D-C
:1036316054:

COL terminal will be interesting

I wonder what they will do in COL, we had a change last year now everyone must be a CDL holder to have a job. Many either transffered or lost their jobs because of the change. Roadway in COL is a small break with non CDL employees. It seems like they would have to either bring back the breakbulk or have a change to move Roadways. If they have a change to move Roadways, who gets to go, after the merger it's both companys shared freight, shouldn't guys and gal from both barns have a chance to go? Thats just on the dock side Yellow just laid off 15 road drivers last week, we now have 29 active drivers, Roadway has 80 or more and I know one who works pretty regular that has only 2 years seniority. Our lowest active driver has about 16 years. They move freight lanes before the merger, who gets to go? Sticky Sticky!!!!!

Obviously all of you at or near the bottom are worried sick, and rightly so. But there is only one thing that everyone involved can do to make this situation as painless as possible. Go out there and do your job to the best of your ability to keep every ounce of freight that you have, and don't be badmouthing this merger to your customers or competitors. I hate politicians, but you have to be one. Do you notice during this campaign season how these candidates always, always present a positive image, regardless of how futile things seem? Well that is what you have to do. It will give your customers confidence and leave your competitors scratching their heads. Besides yours and your family's future well being depends on it. And remember Yellow and Roadway alone were not going to survive, but now, with your help, they can become the beacon of Teamster trucking. In the long run, in my opinion, this is a good thing.

ld0713, the TM is going to keep the laid off guys to 2 days a week. i hear that on thursday night he would not call anyone extra in to help outbound. outbound struggled til 230am to get it done. this of course made in midnight inbound go crazy. all because it might mean that some laid offs might get 3 days in that week. now, if you work one day and are called for friday outbound, the best that can be had is 8 hours, little or no overtime, it would be best not to answer the phone and collect unemployment which would pay about the same as working without the sweat and paying the cost of driving into work.

On a positive note these two companies have survived all these years bbetter than alot of other companies that have went out. There must be a reason why this is so......

Yea, it could be that being union that the ones who would bust a nut for the company are on lay off, and the ones who abuse company equipment and dont care but to draw a paycheck are still working. My ambition is failing as time goes on and i cant do a thing about it, except leave the company. But there are to many good things about working for yrcw that i hate to give it up.

Obviously all of you at or near the bottom are worried sick, and rightly so. But there is only one thing that everyone involved can do to make this situation as painless as possible. Go out there and do your job to the best of your ability to keep every ounce of freight that you have, and don't be badmouthing this merger to your customers or competitors. I hate politicians, but you have to be one. Do you notice during this campaign season how these candidates always, always present a positive image, regardless of how futile things seem? Well that is what you have to do. It will give your customers confidence and leave your competitors scratching their heads. Besides yours and your family's future well being depends on it. And remember Yellow and Roadway alone were not going to survive, but now, with your help, they can become the beacon of Teamster trucking. In the long run, in my opinion, this is a good thing.

That is a great post.:1036316054:

Very well said Larry. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.