I'm in!!

wiggletrain

TB Lurker
Credits
Today I passed the hours mark... I got my seniority!

A very humbling 5 1/2 months, but glad to know the job is mine!!

they say it's 6 months, but it's, in reality, a 2050 regular hours period. I took no time off and was lucky enough to have long months in my probationary period... so just short of six months; I'm in!

My boss joked about calling me today; I hit the seniority 5 hours into my shift; he joked about calling me and telling me I had to have the truck back by 8am...

But, today, I did as I told him. I beat my route. Had to start an hour late, and I have some high profile accounts. He wanted to put another driver on it. I told him I could do it... I made up the hour late start and then some. I finished 1hour and 45 minutes ahead. Ha!!

And with that, I am like #100 out of 114 drivers. Wow... if I'm bottom of the barrel, we have some awesome drivers! :)

And thanks MoneyMan! Not sure if you should tell me congrats or tell me how crazy I am to want it!

Agreed. I am a bit (if not more) crazy!

I asked my boss when will my payraise kick in. He matter-of-factly told me not until 6 more months... He says the first raise doesn't come until after 6 months of seniority employment, which means a year after hire. I think that's utter bull****.

Here is how the contract reads; tell me what you all think, please...

"A.1. Wage rates. The following shall be the minimum scale of wages for employees that have completed the break-in progression steps below:

It goes on to state wage amounts, which I won't post here...

Then, below:

"Break-in Rates Drivers
0-2080 hours 80%
2081-4160 hours 90%
4161-Thereafter 100%

The hours used above are straight-time compensable hours only."

So I started in April at the customary 80%, which means that now, after my seniority has been achieved, I should be bumped to 90%, correct? I see nowhere that it states only seniority hours are used in the calculation... Otherwise they could have started me at whatever they wanted, and at my seniority date they THEN would be required to pay me the 80% and follow break-in progression minmums, correct?

No you start at 80%, then progress, I have never heard of ya'lls system, around here its done in years, yr 1 80% ect., after yr 2 I went to top scale, that was something that was negotiated in on this last contract.

Would you believe we don't have short term disability? I have never worked anywhere that don't have that, if you wanna get paid, you best get hurt on the job.

Just thought I would throw that in. Congratulations you earned it!

Agreed. I am a bit (if not more) crazy!

I asked my boss when will my payraise kick in. He matter-of-factly told me not until 6 more months... He says the first raise doesn't come until after 6 months of seniority employment, which means a year after hire. I think that's utter bull****.

Here is how the contract reads; tell me what you all think, please...

"A.1. Wage rates. The following shall be the minimum scale of wages for employees that have completed the break-in progression steps below:

It goes on to state wage amounts, which I won't post here...

Then, below:

"Break-in Rates Drivers
0-2080 hours 80%
2081-4160 hours 90%
4161-Thereafter 100%

The hours used above are straight-time compensable hours only."

So I started in April at the customary 80%, which means that now, after my seniority has been achieved, I should be bumped to 90%, correct? I see nowhere that it states only seniority hours are used in the calculation... Otherwise they could have started me at whatever they wanted, and at my seniority date they THEN would be required to pay me the 80% and follow break-in progression minmums, correct?

GREIVEANCE!!!

you are right, if they dont specify, then once you have put your time in, like you have, then you GET your raise. take this up with your steward, if he is their, uh, "buddy", and doesn't want to rock the boat, get ahold of your business agent.

you are correct with the language, Don't let them lie to you. US Foods is just as bad, it is impossible to set precedent with these lying bastards, every time they get some new guy, they jam him full of lies. And on top of that, no one bothers to go get a contract, even though they pay dues. so with ignorance and misinformation abound, on top of guys who are just happy to have a job, a lot of stuff "slips on by", unless someone who is dilligent, such as yourself, catches it.

Well, if I wasn't thinking like a girl...

So the 2080 hours IS a year of straight time service. I've still got 6 months to go. :poster_oops:

Diligent. Yes. I will hold them to what the contract states. Sucks that I hadn't looked at the reality of it right this time. I'd really like a raise!

Damn girls and crappy math skills! But normally I only have to count to 13... never driven anything with more than 13 gears! :)

GT - no short term? You should work to get that in your next contract, I think we have it... I've never worked anywhere that we didn't. But now you've got me curious and I'll have to check...

Well, if I wasn't thinking like a girl...

So the 2080 hours IS a year of straight time service. I've still got 6 months to go. :poster_oops:

Diligent. Yes. I will hold them to what the contract states. Sucks that I hadn't looked at the reality of it right this time. I'd really like a raise!

Damn girls and crappy math skills! But normally I only have to count to 13... never driven anything with more than 13 gears! :)

GT - no short term? You should work to get that in your next contract, I think we have it... I've never worked anywhere that we didn't. But now you've got me curious and I'll have to check...
Its funny, we have long term but not short term, if you wanna keep from burning all your sic and vacation, you gotta submit FMLA, thats our contract, and your right, in 6 yrs, if I'm still here, which will be doubtful, I will bring it up for sure at the meetings. I doubt I will be throwing groceries at 51, and I'm sure not gonna live out the rest of my work life on nights at 58 hrs per week. Sysco ain't that important to me, its a good job, but still just another job.

wow not trying to be rude but i am glad we told the union no. we get full seniority at 3 months and full short term and long term. there is no way i would do this job at 80% or 90% for a year or two.

wow not trying to be rude but i am glad we told the union no. we get full seniority at 3 months and full short term and long term. there is no way i would do this job at 80% or 90% for a year or two.

Everyone has their preference, there is good and bad about being union, for me the good outweighs the bad, the Sysco houses that I know that are non-union are a nightmare to work for, mgmt is out of control, with the union they are in check, they don't get to do whatever they want, I'll take a pass on short term for that alone.

i agree but working for 2 years without 100% pay and we all know this job is hard to me is not worth it. i can deal with mgnt, but not getting paid for what i do would not float. not being disrespectful just my out take. i respect you guys for working as hard as we do for 80% and 90% pay.

i agree but working for 2 years without 100% pay and we all know this job is hard to me is not worth it. i can deal with mgnt, but not getting paid for what i do would not float. not being disrespectful just my out take. i respect you guys for working as hard as we do for 80% and 90% pay.

Brother, you ain't disrespecting anybody! Your opinion is yours and its valid!

I'm willing to give up some things to get others, thats all, we are all different, but at the end of the day we are all the same, our trailers are mty and we are satisfied with a job well done!

So you both see my conundrum. 2wheeldriver, I've worked union and non union. I've seen first hand what the union did for me and what we lost when they were voted out. If its working for you in a non union house, I say that's awesome. For me I believe in the union and what it's doing for me.

But, I also agree. Working for $4.00 an hour less than the rest of the guys. Wheeling a thousand cases out of that trailer every day, just like they are. Soo not worth it. I'm worth more than that. But, for now I will just keep in the back of my mind that my boss is a ********, and if I find out that the other guys got a raise at their seniority... Well, then that's why the union is there for me at that point!

So you both see my conundrum. 2wheeldriver, I've worked union and non union. I've seen first hand what the union did for me and what we lost when they were voted out. If its working for you in a non union house, I say that's awesome. For me I believe in the union and what it's doing for me.

But, I also agree. Working for $4.00 an hour less than the rest of the guys. Wheeling a thousand cases out of that trailer every day, just like they are. Soo not worth it. I'm worth more than that. But, for now I will just keep in the back of my mind that my boss is a ********, and if I find out that the other guys got a raise at their seniority... Well, then that's why the union is there for me at that point!

That is a very good post, and very good information toward the end. Thank you Miss E!