Yellow | I'm new...

edgefan57

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm new at Roadway and have heard alot of people (not just @ Roadway) talking about how slow it is.
Is it always slow this time of year does it have to do with the COO?

Edgefan,

Before the old board went down , there were a lot of posts in both union and nonunion companies about freight levels being low.
Some of our levels are low due to the COO and direct loads running past the old breakbulks straight to destination terminals.

EdgeFan57 said:
I'm new at Roadway and have heard alot of people (not just @ Roadway) talking about how slow it is.
Is it always slow this time of year does it have to do with the COO?
Hey EF57.......Animo is right. Since the COO there has been lots of direct loading from terminal to terminal, skipping the breaks. The COO allowed the compnay to put linehaul drivers at some of these terminals. For example, freight that used to come from Raleigh NC (680) to Harrisburg (135) used to break in Winston (671). Now it is direct loaded and we never see it. We've been told that district tonnage is up, but the breaks don't see it. At our terminal before the change took effect, management put up a sign that said "countdown to growth". Now after the change.......even the guys that came down on the change say......"where's the growth"?? DS.

DS something is getting ready to break here and 671 is going to be a major player in this.

New growth I dunno but the freight gods will be smiling on us soon:wavey: If you got stuff to do around the house you better put it on hold or get it done now.:goodvibes: :exclaim:

Bring it on!!!

I hope so Lou. We have been beat down pretty hard, as you know, for the past 6 years. With the down sizing, layoffs, and the COO. Like I told local management......"It seems that you (management) have let us down. It's our job to move the freight, it's YOUR job to get it.....and you haven't done your part":tribehasspoken: Just letting out some frustrations:chairshot: For the sake of our 30+ laid off men.......Bring it on!!:bgroovy: Let me know if you need me to do anything. DS.

screwy louiey said:
DS something is getting ready to break here and 671 is going to be a major player in this.

New growth I dunno but the freight gods will be smiling on us soon:wavey: If you got stuff to do around the house you better put it on hold or get it done now.:goodvibes: :exclaim:
What did the freight gods do? It is AUG 12th and I must have missed it???Did I?

Here at 120 we're hiring drivers, all drivers are back from lay off. Bring back guys for the dock somewhere around 15 -20 men. Garage brought back 2 men from permanent lay off. So far it's looking good for 120.

thegr8one said:
Here at 120 we're hiring drivers, all drivers are back from lay off. Bring back guys for the dock somewhere around 15 -20 men. Garage brought back 2 men from permanent lay off. So far it's looking good for 120.
Things seem to be going in the right direction at 671 also. I think the dock still has some on lay off. DS can answer that though.

Thats good news for 671, I know we still have guys lay off on the dock but it's a start in the right direction.How's 671 doing with yellow next door, any yard problems and does the garage take care of their tlrs and tracs?

thegr8one said:
Thats good news for 671, I know we still have guys lay off on the dock but it's a start in the right direction.How's 671 doing with yellow next door, any yard problems and does the garage take care of their tlrs and tracs?
Hey gr8........Right now 671 has 15 laid off on the dock. They could be called back any day because we are working manditory OT 2 hours a day almost every day. We are working 6th and 7th punches OT 4-5 days a week!!:wacko: I haven't seen any problems with Yellow over at our old IB dock. I have seen a few times RDWY and Yellow drivers out there talking........I'm sure it was about freight or highway safety!! So far they still use a vendor to come out and fuel and service their equipment. I don't see that continuing. It was neat the other night looking at about 6 sets leaving out at once all in a line both YFSY and RDWY. DS.

D.S I don't know how many we still have on laid off from the dock, going to look into it. What have you seen on the west coo, wondering how it will effect all of us. Some how and some way I'm sure it will. gr8

thegr8one said:
What have you seen on the west coo, wondering how it will effect all of us. Some how and some way I'm sure it will. gr8
I haven't been able to lay my eyes on the COO. I would think it may be posted on the web, somewhere. I'll do some digging on my days off. DS.

thegr8one said:
D.S I don't know how many we still have on laid off from the dock, going to look into it.
Boy I hope they don't decide to call some of the 120 guys back!! I don't know what I would do without Lubey, Joe "the turtle", or Tim "the butcher".......what a cast!!:shutup2: LOL DS.

hello guys yellow driver jumping in here from col oh/ bottm of the extra board was called back 6-26/some have not worked 2 days a week since here lately not at all/hearing the same all over the system/ some terminals are hiring heck their even road testing in col/dont make any sense to me as i am new here/ if tonnage is up all over and profits are up 30% what am i missing??
please any advice?

D.S , Funny you mention that, One of our drivers that took a change at the time of the COO wants to come back since 120 is hiring. I've haven't had the chance to talk to BA, see if he can or can't.(rules). Left voice message but it's Saturday. What do you know about on this matter?

I heard they were combining Augusta and Portland and that freight would go to Buffalo. So 120 would lose that frt, nothing posted at 120 yet. There must be more in the change because they are calling 12 guys back starting 8/27. Hey DS you don't have to worry about losing Lubey, he's not allowed back. Sounds like Timmy is still making woodchips out of his skids.We used to call him the crusher or splinter.

Jobs!!!!!!!!!

ghostrider said:
hello guys yellow driver jumping in here from col oh/ bottm of the extra board was called back 6-26/some have not worked 2 days a week since here lately not at all/hearing the same all over the system/ some terminals are hiring heck their even road testing in col/dont make any sense to me as i am new here/ if tonnage is up all over and profits are up 30% what am i missing??
please any advice?
Yellow had a ad today in the The Chicago Sun Times for road drivers With or WITHOUT
EXPERIENCE!!!!!!

thegr8one said:
D.S , Funny you mention that, One of our drivers that took a change at the time of the COO wants to come back since 120 is hiring. I've haven't had the chance to talk to BA, see if he can or can't.(rules). Left voice message but it's Saturday. What do you know about on this matter?
Hey gr8........I don't know too much about this. I'll give you my opinion...........After a COO, a loosing terminal can't hire new help within so many days after the COO, if they need men, those that transfered have "callback rights". In our case It was something like 90 or 120 days. It has been over that amount of time and the only way a person can go back to a loosing terminal is to voluntary transfer back. Your BA will help you alot more than me. Good luck!! DS.

I believe stacker, Splinter spend more time handling cartons then running forklift due to always being banned from motor. hahaha