Holland | Indy running ad for 4hour casuals.

7ft8279

TB Lurker
Credits
Look on Holland web sight they have a ad dated aug 6 for casuals in Indy with all those guys laid off they run that ad, whats that all about.

What I dont get is why r they spending the money on this my buddy in indy said they paid to run a ad in last sundays paper also. I just dont understand this company never will I guess.

They have been running an add in the paper in IN since the contract got signed. If business ever picks up they want to use the 4 hour guys instead of hiring full time employees.

They want it known to the pool of drivers outside yrc that they will be hiring 4 hour casuals from hence forward, something most drivers knew we never had before. Even if they dont hire anyone yet, the ad will cause the info to spread by word of mouth. It's a way to advertise this even if they arent hiring them just yet. They will get a lot of apllications and phone numbers and call those applicants when they have surges in business.

I am on layoff in Indy (road). I have worked in the city everyday for the last two weeks. We have been averaging 1900 bills per night and about 140 loads. We have 28 Road Drivers and 9 city on layoff. The company is working the 4 hour casuals almost everyday. Some worked today. They are working 4 hours some days. However, some of those 4 hour, $14 per hour casuals are working double shifts. One of the 4 hour casuals worked 9 1/2 hours. The bottom line is the company is abusing the new contract, as we all knew they would.

I am on layoff in Indy (road). I have worked in the city everyday for the last two weeks. We have been averaging 1900 bills per night and about 140 loads. We have 28 Road Drivers and 9 city on layoff. The company is working the 4 hour casuals almost everyday. Some worked today. They are working 4 hours some days. However, some of those 4 hour, $14 per hour casuals are working double shifts. One of the 4 hour casuals worked 9 1/2 hours. The bottom line is the company is abusing the new contract, as we all knew they would.
Any hours that the 4 hour casuals work over 6 or a double shift goes toward getting the laid off men called back. I know that they're many good Union brothers and stewards in Indy so I feel that this will be addressed ASAP by them. Remember, the company can break any rule they want, but through the grievance system they will be held to the contract in the end. They will always test us every day and we have to be prepared to meet every test that they give us with the correct response.

I do have a question about the ad though, why are they stating that the work days include Saturday? Saturday is a premium paid day that even laid off regular employee's can't work so how can they use a 4 hour casual to work on a Saturday?

They are not abusing it unopposed. Our stewards are in the process of grieving the violations right now. The TM is taking it to comittee. I think mostly just so he can get away with it a little bit longer.
If they work them as regular casuals then they will count as regular casuals.
We gotta keep on them and not just throw our hands and say "see I knew it"
If you see a violation make sure a steward or alternate knows about it.

I don't know about the weekend stuff. I haven't heard that come up yet.
They used to just let a few 10 percenters sit one day during the week to use them on saturday. Now they are short handed and can't leave the percenters home any day.

Any hours that the 4 hour casuals work over 6 or a double shift goes toward getting the laid off men called back. I know that they're many good Union brothers and stewards in Indy so I feel that this will be addressed ASAP by them. Remember, the company can break any rule they want, but through the grievance system they will be held to the contract in the end. They will always test us every day and we have to be prepared to meet every test that they give us with the correct response.

I do have a question about the ad though, why are they stating that the work days include Saturday? Saturday is a premium paid day that even laid off regular employee's can't work so how can they use a 4 hour casual to work on a Saturday?[/QUO]

I believe the local union(179)told us they could not use casuals with people on layoff.How do they get away with it in INDY?

They are not abusing it unopposed. Our stewards are in the process of grieving the violations right now. The TM is taking it to comittee. I think mostly just so he can get away with it a little bit longer.
If they work them as regular casuals then they will count as regular casuals.
We gotta keep on them and not just throw our hands and say "see I knew it"
If you see a violation make sure a steward or alternate knows about it.

I don't know about the weekend stuff. I haven't heard that come up yet.
They used to just let a few 10 percenters sit one day during the week to use them on saturday. Now they are short handed and can't leave the percenters home any day.

I know the steward is addressing the problem. I was only informing everyone that the company is already using the 4 hour casual.

I know the steward is addressing the problem. I was only informing everyone that the company is already using the 4 hour casual.

I didn't mean that in any derogototry way. I just didn't want anyone to think we are just letting it happen. I hear people say all the time that the company does whatever it wants. It only does what it wants within the confines of the contract unless we (union members and their representatives) let them do otherwise.

I didn't mean that in any derogototry way. I just didn't want anyone to think we are just letting it happen. I hear people say all the time that the company does whatever it wants. It only does what it wants within the confines of the contract unless we (union members and their representatives) let them do otherwise.

I understand brother. I was not offended. I just wanted to make it clear that I know the City Stewards on top of things.

4 hrs casuals being used in Me from 6 pm to close when needed. Has any other terminals BPH been increased? Once we made their #'s, guess what? They increased them by to 405. GRIZZ

Benny you guys sent us about 10 fork lifts lately. We have an 80 dr terminal and it seems like we have 40 lifts. I've heard their converting back to propane from natural gas. Were on natural gas here. Learning a lot about the operations on the dock. This is my first bid in 20 years at Holland as AM switcher. Love getting of at noon, but missing my customers. Blood pressure way down in just a week on the yard. GRIZZ

Benny you guys sent us about 10 fork lifts lately. We have an 80 dr terminal and it seems like we have 40 lifts. I've heard their converting back to propane from natural gas. Were on natural gas here. Learning a lot about the operations on the dock. This is my first bid in 20 years at Holland as AM switcher. Love getting of at noon, but missing my customers. Blood pressure way down in just a week on the yard. GRIZZ

They sent us 27 brand new shinny Toyota's that run on propane. They are taking out the natural gas fill up station thing soon too. I don't know how true this is but I heard, through the grapevine, we received them because we were the closest terminal to where they are manufactured. I like to think it was because they like us better than everybody else but maybe I'm wrong, lol. They are very nice for forklifts, they are quiet but if you don't set the parking brake when you get off they tell on you with a safety noise maker. The seat belts don't tighten up on you like the old ones either, they are very comfortable because they stay movable until you move suddenly, then they lock in position. I hope everybody gets them soon. I heard they're only 20,000.00 to 25,000.00 a pop.

Hey my sister works at the plant that builds those things. I will have to tell her she owes me:biglaugh:
I am sad to see the CNG go though. I liked the system. Much easier than dealing with propane tanks, and maybe it's in my head but it smells better too.

Hey my sister works at the plant that builds those things. I will have to tell her she owes me:biglaugh:
I am sad to see the CNG go though. I liked the system. Much easier than dealing with propane tanks, and maybe it's in my head but it smells better too.
Tell her to have somebody check the shocks on the ones we're getting, I think they're defective. And yes, you are correct about the smell, it smells like rotten eggs to me.

The writing is on the wall,gentlemen.Not to sound negative but I can see the company keeping the laid off guys out until they just give up and quit.If they can trim the board by about 30 guys at each terminal by laying off and then starving them out,the company can bring these casuals on whenever they need them without paying any benefit and at 8 dollars an hour cheaper.Just read the e-mails from corporate and everytime they mention "cost control" this is what that means.