New Penn | Info on working at New Penn, please.

pro1driver

I don't wanna go fishing, even though i got stuff
Credits
there "was" an ad in last weeks sunday paper for a job recruitment THIS week at the cumberland, ri location. they have city work, which i will not do, but the ad also mentioned "terminal to terminal" work as well, which is what i did (called linehaul) at nemf, about 2 years ago. i want to get back on the road, and out of my current job which is shuttle driver, and yardman duties.

there will be a recruiter at the cumberland location this week, from the 25th through the 28th.

now, in yet another NewPenn thread, i read where several "roadmen" have taken dock positions due to the coming winter, and that many guys were sitting at home in august..................

sooooo.................are these "terminal to terminal" jobs just a "casual thing", or full time employment with newpenn...?? i'd hate like heck to quit my job,under the premise that the newpenn "road job" would be short term.

anyone care to help me here......???

thanks to all in advance.
pro1driver.:smilie_132:

there "was" an ad in last weeks sunday paper for a job recruitment THIS week at the cumberland, ri location. they have city work, which i will not do, but the ad also mentioned "terminal to terminal" work as well, which is what i did (called linehaul) at nemf, about 2 years ago. i want to get back on the road, and out of my current job which is shuttle driver, and yardman duties.

there will be a recruiter at the cumberland location this week, from the 25th through the 28th.

now, in yet another NewPenn thread, i read where several "roadmen" have taken dock positions due to the coming winter, and that many guys were sitting at home in august..................

sooooo.................are these "terminal to terminal" jobs just a "casual thing", or full time employment with newpenn...?? i'd hate like heck to quit my job,under the premise that the newpenn "road job" would be short term.

anyone care to help me here......???

thanks to all in advance.
pro1driver.:smilie_132:

pro1driver, The Cumberland terminal does not have seperate seniority lists for city and road.
You would only be able to bid into whichever spot your seniority would get you. Most bottom men end up on a 6PM outbound bid working the dock.

How much time you spent on the bottom will really depend on freight levels. I know you don't want to do P&D work or work the dock but you'll have to put your time in and "pay your dues".

pro1driver, The Cumberland terminal does not have seperate seniority lists for city and road.
You would only be able to bid into whichever spot your seniority would get you. Most bottom men end up on a 6PM outbound bid working the dock.

How much time you spent on the bottom will really depend on freight levels. I know you don't want to do P&D work or work the dock but you'll have to put your time in and "pay your dues".

well, i know its a union, teamsters in fact.......

as for "paying my dues", i've been doing that over the past 20 years now.....

it would seem "strange" that they are advertising the "terminal to terminal" driving job as well. many times, when the terminal was in cranston(?), i would either go in person, or call up, the manager (then) was Sean(?) and he always said that "roadmen" were hired out of PA, and never from any local terminal, and suffice it to say, it was always P&D that Sean(?) wanted to hire.

do "roadmen" do dock work as well...??

i ask this, as when i was a linehaul driver at nemf, i just went "terminal to terminal" and never worked the docks. unless, there was to be some sort of delay, and i "wanted" to work the dock for extra money, but it was never required.

so again i ask, does anyone know if the jobs for roadmen are temporay, or permanent...???

thanks in advance to all that reply, its much appreciated.:smilie_132:

P.S., by the way, from what i have been told by one of my co-workers, is that Sean, is now the terminal manager at nemf in RI.....he (my co-worker) worked for Sean some years ago, and was recently talking with him.

well, i know its a union, teamsters in fact.......

as for "paying my dues", i've been doing that over the past 20 years now.....

it would seem "strange" that they are advertising the "terminal to terminal" driving job as well. many times, when the terminal was in cranston(?), i would either go in person, or call up, the manager (then) was Sean(?) and he always said that "roadmen" were hired out of PA, and never from any local terminal, and suffice it to say, it was always P&D that Sean(?) wanted to hire.

do "roadmen" do dock work as well...??

i ask this, as when i was a linehaul driver at nemf, i just went "terminal to terminal" and never worked the docks. unless, there was to be some sort of delay, and i "wanted" to work the dock for extra money, but it was never required.

so again i ask, does anyone know if the jobs for roadmen are temporay, or permanent...???

thanks in advance to all that reply, its much appreciated.:smilie_132:

P.S., by the way, from what i have been told by one of my co-workers, is that Sean, is now the terminal manager at nemf in RI.....he (my co-worker) worked for Sean some years ago, and was recently talking with him.

pro1driver, When I mentioned "paying your dues" I meant at New Penn. Not in the industry. I know it stinks to have to start over again (done it myself) but it's just the way things work.

Seeing that we do not have a seperate road and city list there is no such thing as being hired as a roadman. You're hired as an employee and bid whatever your seniority will get you when you make the list. Roadmen do not work the dock.

As far as I know, they are looking for people for permanent work. Not just casual work. Things may get a little slow during the winter months but that happens at every freight company.

You heard correctly aboput Sean. He is back in RI and he's the new TM over at NEMF in Pawtucket.

pro1driver, When I mentioned "paying your dues" I meant at New Penn. Not in the industry. I know it stinks to have to start over again (done it myself) but it's just the way things work.

Seeing that we do not have a seperate road and city list there is no such thing as being hired as a roadman. You're hired as an employee and bid whatever your seniority will get you when you make the list. Roadmen do not work the dock.

As far as I know, they are looking for people for permanent work. Not just casual work. Things may get a little slow during the winter months but that happens at every freight company.

You heard correctly aboput Sean. He is back in RI and he's the new TM over at NEMF in Pawtucket.

unfortunately, "paying dues" is indeed something we always do. i simply will not do P&D, its that simple.......as for the dock well, that's entirely a different story. if it were to be "sometimes" maybe i'll go for it, but if i was to have to work the dock every stinkin day, forgedaboudit.......

yes, all freight levels drop off during the winter months, this i know too as well.

as a "bottom feeder" i would have no senority, this i know. but i also "know this", that if i cannot work every day for at least a 40-45 hour work week, then making a move would be detrimental to my wallet. i simply cannot survive on one or two days a week paychecks. can anyone else...??

again this is why it was so strange to see "terminal to terminal" road work available at newpenn...............

Working for a union freight company is not for the faith hearted.

If you want to work for a upper level compnay you have to ready to make some sacfricies.

Like sitting by the phone, working different shifts, working the dock, working the city (p&d) running the extra board (linehaul).

Like the others said Cumberland has a combo list meaning you first need to make the list and bid on a job where your seniority takes you. You will not be hired to run a certain type of job in Cumberland plain and simple

My guess is this is not a comapny for you.

PS Sean is a liar, always has been and always will be. He was trained by one of the best liars and cutthroats in the business, Rod M. former VP of North Penn and TM of RedStar in Seekonk and Cumberland

prov. has one senority list, like, freight guy told you, based on the way it works else-were, terminals wirh one list, this is what will most likely happen. first, you'll be called as casual to run the road when they need you, if you show up and not wreck your truck you'll be used more and more, dont know days limit on hireing in prov. but could take awhile for you to be hired, offcially. than you be on extra board, most likely being called for outbound dock work, next as needed you'll being called for city work. dont know how often they bid in provd. but when bidtime comes around , if say when comes to you there is spot on road board you can bid it, if not whatever bid is open you can bid, if nothing bid wise, your on extra board and dock and city work you will be doing , till you have seniorty to bid on road board , thats what freight guy meant by paying your dues. if you cant bring yourself down to working the city, because you will work the city most likely before you can sniff the road-board, dont bother quiting your job and takeing a chance at npme.

^^^ What he said^^^ My terminal (Altoona, Pa) is the same way.

They lull you into a false sense of security over the summer, then starve you out. It took me almost 2yrs to make the board, even then it doesn't guarantee you work.

I'm a P&D guy myself, and don't think I'd take a road bid. I'd take middle man in the city over low man on the road any day.

Question about Camp Hill

Saw they were looking for help on the dock there. Anyone have any info? Is it a call-board position? I filled out an online app a week or 2 ago and they haven't called..I duno what that means. Do they have a dock to driver training program at NP? Finally is a good place to work? I'm really fed up with Estes. Any input would be appreciated thanks

Only way they will train you to drive if you don't have a CDL is if there is a change of operation and you want to follow the work. You are better off going through the Union driver training. The training we had in Boston was kind of half assed and rushed.