Infrastructure Bill Requires Cars to Detect “Impaired” Drivers

and yet, the cost of any new vehicle climbs again, both at purchase time, and repair time.

oh joy.
We have a newer vehicle into the naughts that recieves the best of care when it needs it. And its as close to 100% condition ready for winter as we can make it despite its age. We could always do something to it but one thing at a time.

We refuse to worry about the money sunk into the damn thing. Its gone. I think after it got totaled last year and then the other party's insurance company got the story on it they went ahead and spent the dollars to rebuild it. Then we threw in another amount twice that in cash until this month.

We are however getting offers on that thing by those in a position to make those offers and we turn them down flat. I do worry thats it is a aluminum V6 engine and love on the thing so much, but at some point it's going to need some work.

The only bad thing I hate about that vehicle is there is a black box in between the rear seats in the old drive shaft tunnel area that retains the last 60 seconds of everything in that vehiclr constantly so if there is a accident a extremely precise history of what you, the driver did or did not do is all there for court. It will either bite you or not.

No way to "retrofit" older Vehicles prior to initiated Year.
The future vehicles may be able to detect when a "Driver" is TOO TIRED!!
(Would be Good in Class A & B Trucks!)
Convicted Drunk Drivers have found ways to Bypass some State installed systems (Starting in Reverse [in a Manual], Using Someone else, other), yet the Technology gets stronger and bypassing becomes less or eventually disappears.

It's always the DISTANT TIMELINE, never the Imminent Install. :violin::cuss:

No way to "retrofit" older Vehicles prior to initiated Year.
The future vehicles may be able to detect when a "Driver" is TOO TIRED!!
(Would be Good in Class A & B Trucks!)
Convicted Drunk Drivers have found ways to Bypass some State installed systems (Starting in Reverse [in a Manual], Using Someone else, other), yet the Technology gets stronger and bypassing becomes less or eventually disappears.

It's always the DISTANT TIMELINE, never the Imminent Install. :violin::cuss:
Actually they now use face recognizing. It has to be you. Not so and so or some such another person in that car.

I had a friend who was almost fitted with that kind of interlock decades ago. If they went that far he would have crushed that car and bought another. No law against that in those days. It would be fitting to see that interlock crushed along with the vehicle.

Our '16 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4 Auto has no such Tech crap.
We're just hopeing the Engine doesn't seize due to faulty build.
>>NUMEROUS Hyundais have gone scrap from 2.4 Engines according to Hyundaiforums.com<<

Thanks! CHEERS!!

Our '16 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4 Auto has no such Tech crap.
We're just hopeing the Engine doesn't seize due to faulty build.
>>NUMEROUS Hyundais have gone scrap from 2.4 Engines according to Hyundaiforums.com<<

Thanks! CHEERS!!
Thats a shame.

Isnt there maybe a crate engine you can drop into those? Or is that too much to ask for?

On my old Tahoe there is a little Solid State computer in the left front of the Engine bay. Its a hard flashed device that only knows ABCDEF etc. over and over again. You could replace it for 150 dollars and additional labor primarily in reflashing or programming the new one.

There is a difference between solid state and computer chips of today. Turn on a solid state, power flows one way and does one instruction. On or off etc. In a chip you can turn on power and thrn flow a stack of tasks into it. However after a EMP I will be the one driving while the chip vehicles are bricked. Maybe. (If i am not killed for it.)

Three is a option to toss the gas tank, and engine and drop in a air breathing 6.6 diesel which it came with originally. Its on it's third engine since the Junker for refund days years ago. Almost 300,000 miles on the thing and demands a certain amount of shop work regularly.

All vehicles that we have owned in both of our lifetimes have had aluminum block engines fail in a variety of ways. usually when the crankshaft main bearings finally wear past tolerance and vibrate the whole thing out of firing order fatally killing it. I have never had a steel or iron engine fail yet. However I avoid magnesiums... leave them in the dirt long enough and thats that.

Between GPS tracking devices, data collection, cameras, and now this, I'm getting close to giving up driving all together. I just can't get on board with the techocracy. Most have sold their soul to the the tech gods, not me.
Lots of cool older cars and trucks if you shop around, if you're handy, or know a mechanic that actually is......