Yellow | $ini$ter COO!

B-2

TB Lurker
Credits
Seems to me, they are just trying to replace dock workers (without cdls) with new hires. Can someone tell me why a dock worker needs a cdl to follow his dock work? I hope the IBT has their back...

If you're going into a CDL Only Terminal (until I came to Yellow, I thought EVERYONE at a trucking company had to have a CDL to be hired-- they always were at every other LTL place I worked) then everyone must be able to do every job. It's only fair. Imagine being the guy with a CDL forced out in a blizzard, while a junior man sits safely on the dock, because he had no CDL..........(and yes-- it happens here at Indy-- it's happened to me!) (Of course-- the converse happens here too. I've jumped around about a hundred guys for a Monday-Friday Daytime [Driving] Bid because I have a CDL).....

If that's their Polcy, that's their Policy. The IBT won't, nor should it try to change another Terminal's juristiction.

Cdl ?

Had a man bid out of KCM a few years back without a CDL. Then after a year Yellow out of the blue wanted move a man back to KCM. The same man went to bid back and was told he must have a CDL in hand on the day he showed up in KCM.
Yet the still continue to hire people without a CDL.

Had a man bid out of KCM a few years back without a CDL. Then after a year Yellow out of the blue wanted move a man back to KCM. The same man went to bid back and was told he must have a CDL in hand on the day he showed up in KCM.
Yet the still continue to hire people without a CDL.
Although we have non-cdl dockhands at STL, it's been the policy for many years now that you can't get hired without a cdl. They will use non-cdl casuals on the dock, but they will not get hired.

In the Contract

They had the CDL requirement put in the last contract. If you had one you couldn't let it go. Then they got real sticky about transfer and getting a CDL all this was in preparation for the COO just released. Which is not what they told everybody to get them to vote for the contract. Now we are stuck and can only hope a big enough fight can be put up to slow down the COO. If the Utility worker is only new business then how is it people have to move to follow their freight if there has not been any freight to begin with.

As I understand it, currently a cdl is not required at LCP, and never has been. So you have a 20 year man and a 3 year man. Both are working on the dock, even though the 3 year man posses a cdl, but still choses to work the dock. If this coo is implemented as proposed you may have a situation where a waaaaay more senior man has no chance at all to follow his work, while the waaaay junior guy gets the benefit of the coo, and runs right over the senior man. I have read a few threads on this board where several people have stated that at the end of the day seniority is all you really have. If allowed to stand, this coo may very well take some peoples work away, along with their seniority. Am stilll waiting for the super seniority crowd to chime in........

If you're going into a CDL Only Terminal (until I came to Yellow, I thought EVERYONE at a trucking company had to have a CDL to be hired-- they always were at every other LTL place I worked) then everyone must be able to do every job. It's only fair. Imagine being the guy with a CDL forced out in a blizzard, while a junior man sits safely on the dock, because he had no CDL..........(and yes-- it happens here at Indy-- it's happened to me!) (Of course-- the converse happens here too. I've jumped around about a hundred guys for a Monday-Friday Daytime [Driving] Bid because I have a CDL).....

If that's their Polcy, that's their Policy. The IBT won't, nor should it try to change another Terminal's juristiction.

I see your point! However, it is my humble opinion, that the company is playing musical chairs with the freight for the sole purpose of eliminating dock workers (some with 20+ years seniority). If YRC doesn't want to hire anyone without a cdl, that's fine. But the guys that worked the dock, 3 shifts over the weekend for so many years... They worked many bitter cold winters, and threw the heat waves of summers past, Those teamsters should be permitted to follow the work and not screwed by corporate GREED!

Terminal Juristiction

The terminal I am refering to is the "NEW" Harrisburg terminal. It's not an end-of-line. Approximately 180 doors (when finished)...The IBT should insist its union dock workers are given the opportunity to transfer.

You are arguing a right for others to violate the seniority of the workers at that terminal by not being qualified to do all the work.

Harrisburg will have 12 utility positions, so your saying all spots can be taken by people not qualified to do the work.

Don't get me wrong, I especially feel for those that drove for years and are no longer physically able to pass a dot exam, but a trucking co. needs truck drivers, just like a bank needs people that can count money.

I see your point! However, it is my humble opinion, that the company is playing musical chairs with the freight for the sole purpose of eliminating dock workers (some with 20+ years seniority). If YRC doesn't want to hire anyone without a cdl, that's fine. But the guys that worked the dock, 3 shifts over the weekend for so many years... They worked many bitter cold winters, and threw the heat waves of summers past, Those teamsters should be permitted to follow the work and not screwed by corporate GREED!

werd :1036316054:

CDL vs Dock Workers

How many barns will not let a person hold a day shift without a CDL ?
RDWY,ABF here have a red circle a date where any one hired after that line must have a CDL to hold a day shift.

I certainly dont want to put words in B-2's mouth, but taking a utility worker position will obviously require a cdl and you cant let a non qualified employee bid into that work. Surely if there are 93 local cartage jobs leaving lcp, there almost certainly will be enough dock work to justify dock only employees at Carlisle (even though its only getting 40 people. Fuzzy math that hopefully is looked into.) Carlisle is not an exsisting terminal and as such has no standing policy on cdl requirements. Just because this terminal or that terminal or x amount of terminals systemwide have the cdl requirement doesnt mean squat to me. Lcp doesnt have such a requirement and one could argue thats where most if not all of their work is going. Would have thought the guys who think its perfectly alright to pick their 6 weeks vacation before the next guy gets to pick his first week would have been running to B-2's defense on this one.

He wouldn't get banned just for his post. Had to be something like he was previously banned and reregistered or didn't want to post that as himself so created a second account. Something along those lines.

What he said gives lots of room for thought though. It does have that effect. I know the Richfield terminals have been touted as having some of the same "Drag your feet" mentality in dock and yard. Since we are union, this would be an effective way to cull some of the herd.