SEFL | Is it Possible?

mikejones234

TB Lurker
Credits
We were called in this morning to a meeting. Our tm is asking all hourly employees to take time off without pay. This includes dock workers and all drivers. We would be able to take a month or weeks off without pay. But my question is, who can afford to take time off ,it doesnt matter who you are or how long you have been with the company we are all in the same shoes money wise and no one will volunteer to take large amounts of time off. So I ask this, is this a sign that times are bad at SEFL, and could we have a layoff?

I would consider taking a voluntary layoff for a few months but not sit home for free. Times are definately hard all accross sefl. I wish the best for all our fellow employees right now. Southeastern will not lay anyone off but the hours we will all be getting will equal to them laying people off. Do not be surprised in January, February and March that there will be a lot of people only getting 30 hours a week. Continue to do the little things to help get the extra hours you can. Also consider changing what you claim on your taxes. Claiming two can give you about 30 to 40 dollars a week more in take home pay. I hope this helps anyone that reads this. Also remember to be safer than ever when driving and everything else we do because I would not put anything past any company right now to trim the payroll any way they can.

We had the same meeting throughout our system. We were asked to volunteer for a four day week or take as many unpaid days as we like. We had two older guys volunteer to take a month off each. Basically we were asked to help out the younger guys with families who couldn't afford to have their hours or miles cut. This is an industry wide slow down, companies like ours are just trying to ride the storm out without losing their workforce, because the freight levels will bounce back.

sabresfan you are right about being safe, do not speed, do as you are told, because now they can use anything to get rid of you, I would not put anything past them with the way things are.

This is the same thing we done last year several older hands retired last time a few weeks at home will make it hard to come back to work when you are close to retiring I myself may take a month or two and run the west coast for money break the manotany of day in and day out SEFL they pay your benifits so if you can pull cash from under the table this acually could be a good thing just my thoughts I wish the best for everyone I have a mortgage to pay but no kids and a wife that works so alot of guys need it worse than me good luck guys

you could also look into taking now until january off and hire on to UPS as a seasonal driver. they are not asking for volunteers here at Saia...though most (not all) of the city drivers on a 4 day work week depending on freight volume. our linehaul is still staying pretty busy and they are not letting anyone off who does not have time to cover it. good luck to us all! i hope we can turn it around soon.

you could also look into taking now until january off and hire on to UPS as a seasonal driver. they are not asking for volunteers here at Saia...though most (not all) of the city drivers on a 4 day work week depending on freight volume. our linehaul is still staying pretty busy and they are not letting anyone off who does not have time to cover it. good luck to us all! i hope we can turn it around soon.

we had a driver to check into the Ups gig, HA HA, they told him he had to ride with a package handler, i believe his said the hourly pay was 9.50. i just laughed.

we had a driver to check into the Ups gig, HA HA, they told him he had to ride with a package handler, i believe his said the hourly pay was 9.50. i just laughed.

ok scratch that idea then. the ad here is for a linehaul (feeder as they call it) driver. oh well...you could make better than that working 3 or 4 days a week.

We don't go past texas but if you take time off as I was talking about I will be turning the left coast in a real truck with a hood and a bulldozier motor LOL!!!!! as for under the table I grew up around owner operators and have enough friends that I can run team with one to help him turn more miles or turn local stuff under table I am willing to do whatever it takes to pay my bills I am not going to get on a soap box and starve because the company is slow I love my job by all means but I have to take care of #1 I have even done some weekend runs close to home on holidays and my short weeks just what I have planned.

We don't go past texas but if you take time off as I was talking about I will be turning the left coast in a real truck with a hood and a bulldozier motor LOL!!!!! as for under the table I grew up around owner operators and have enough friends that I can run team with one to help him turn more miles or turn local stuff under table I am willing to do whatever it takes to pay my bills I am not going to get on a soap box and starve because the company is slow I love my job by all means but I have to take care of #1 I have even done some weekend runs close to home on holidays and my short weeks just what I have planned.

yard puppy i know what you mean, you got to do what you got to do. we have over half our drivers at the house today. ive seen more drivers written up for bs in the last 2 weeks, than ive seen since i been there. i guess thats the way they are gonna slim the payroll, we shall see in time.

Buds.... u need to take the time off so David T. and Richard B. can earn their 120,000 a year salary plus the monthly bonus. I was an OM in NAT and listen to their crap. You boys are nothing. David would say, "we are not a charity."

All leadership makes a monthly bonus based on their numbers. The backbone of the company does not see that. "Take care of the ones that take care of the customers," that does not mean you.

Buds.... u need to take the time off so David Turner and Richard Bogan can earn their 120,000 a year salary plus the monthly bonus. I was an OM in NAT and listen to their crap. You boys are nothing. David would say, "we are not a charity."

All leadership makes a monthly bonus based on their numbers. The backbone of the company does not see that. "Take care of the ones that take care of the customers," that does not mean you.

i am at the white house, and i saw with my own eyes a letter that was sent around yesterday to all the customers, and we have it posted in the driver room. The letter says that there will be no trips for sales reps or tm's, that sefl will be tighting there budget more. I know the new CSD term is Charlotte was schedule to open, but they have set that back to next year to save money. We were also showed in the company policy book (first time I've seen it). SEFL has a no layoff policy, they will work us 1 day a week before they lay us off. Most of us are getting 30-34 hrs a week.

If you are geting 30 hours a week,get down on your knees and thank " god " for that. I find myself hoping for 2 days. The first being 14 hours ( if my body allows ) and the second at at least 8 hrs if not 10 to make ends meet. Things are bad at all carriers. We will get thru this. A little humbling is not bad. I know that our higher power will always provide. God bless all my brothers and sisters in the transportation industry. P.s. I do not work for for southeastern, but thank you for allowing me to post on your board.

wow guys...how does your upper managemtn expect to turn things around without the sales reps making calls on customers? i know some people will continue to use SEFL just b/c of loyalty, but others will not b/c they are not being wine'd and dine'd. i wish all of you and your company the best.

wow guys...how does your upper managemtn expect to turn things around without the sales reps making calls on customers? i know some people will continue to use SEFL just b/c of loyalty, but others will not b/c they are not being wine'd and dine'd. i wish all of you and your company the best.

i imagine they will keep them wine'd and dine'd. they will just be more quite about it.