R&L | is it true that dispatchers get bonus's for the work drivers do?

S

slugbug

If this is true then R+L has one screwed up policy. The drivers should be compensated for getting all the work...deliveries and pickups done as well. It's not about these fkn dispatchers. Th drivers....the good ones know how to get the job done even when these morons put pickups on you that you legitamately couldn't do if it were somebody else. It gets more obvious everyday that r&l promotes a poor chain of command.....and it's no wonder this place loses so many damn good drivers. when you all learn to slow down an bit and stop wanting to make yourselves look like nut suckers and swallowers then maybe some of these things will change. But until you make this company atone for hauling junk frieght and putting the ownus on us....nothing will change. they will continue to run 7 or 8 drivers short....with the intention of putting more on the good drivers. I have learned my lesson....have slowed down to a pace I never thought I could reach....and left my particular dispatcher with a hole he will need to fill....but until others follow suit...things will stay the same. overworked and run into the ground

Damn good post!!! I don't believe R&L will change. This what happens to a company when the "Old Man" turns it over to the kid who has never had to work a day in his life, and has a golden spoon in his mouth..

I have to give Junior credit though, he saw how Zimmerman was screwing the employees, and told the old man, to get rid of him, or he was leaving...I respect Junior...

The companys long term prospects are dismal unless the Roberts sell R&L to someone who knows how to run a trucking company.

R&L's future prospects are not good with Zimmerman and Roby running the company.

If this is true then R+L has one screwed up policy. The drivers should be compensated for getting all the work...deliveries and pickups done as well. It's not about these fkn dispatchers. Th drivers....the good ones know how to get the job done even when these morons put pickups on you that you legitamately couldn't do if it were somebody else. It gets more obvious everyday that r&l promotes a poor chain of command.....and it's no wonder this place loses so many damn good drivers. when you all learn to slow down an bit and stop wanting to make yourselves look like nut suckers and swallowers then maybe some of these things will change. But until you make this company atone for hauling junk frieght and putting the ownus on us....nothing will change. they will continue to run 7 or 8 drivers short....with the intention of putting more on the good drivers. I have learned my lesson....have slowed down to a pace I never thought I could reach....and left my particular dispatcher with a hole he will need to fill....but until others follow suit...things will stay the same. overworked and run into the ground
That particular dispatcher must be Walter in Dallas.....He is the biggest A$$ hole R&L has ever had.....I know him personally and wouldn't **** on him if he was on fire. The swallowers you refer to are the reason this company will never change. This company has massive turnover because of dispatchers just like Walter. He is totally hated in Dallas. Do yourself a favor and go to work for OD or Saia. But to answer your question....I really don't think that's true. But I do believe what is true having worked for R&L is that they are the ultimate sweat shop in the LTL business. They will run you into the ground and not blink an eye. But remember this my friend you knocked on their door asking for a job. So either accept it or walk away.

Last edited by a moderator:
That particular dispatcher must be Walter in Dallas.....He is the biggest A$$ hole R&L has ever had.....I know him personally and wouldn't **** on him if he was on fire. The swallowers you refer to are the reason this company will never change. This company has massive turnover because of dispatchers just like Walter. He is totally hated in Dallas. Do yourself a favor and go to work for OD or Saia. But to answer your question....I really don't think that's true. But I do believe what is true having worked for R&L is that they are the ultimate sweat shop in the LTL business. They will run you into the ground and not blink an eye. But remember this my friend you knocked on their door asking for a job. So either accept it or walk away.

I don't think they get a bonus either. Your are right Slugbug, this company has too many drivers that will work themselves into the ground and not blink a eye. Sadly, the driver usually doesn't even think about it because they have always worked this hard. It is this work ethic that has made this country the best. I think more blame should be placed on management because they see this and have only abused it. It is hard to fault the current generation for their observed lack of drive. After seeing their parents work their fingers to the bone and have nothing more than a pot to pi$$ in, can you blame them?

I totally accept when i go in every worning it may be my last day....but even if I walk out I doubt any of these other :I GOTTA HAVE A JOB GUYS GET IT" I am the guy that will make a stand for ll of u]you....the driver abuse....the overwork...I will make that staement for you....I don't need this job but I would like to see them hire about 15 more drivers in dallas to take some of the pressure off these older guys. R+L is not drier friendly....to them driver are a cost of doing business. Its always the ass kisser saying that. iF I TELL THEM TO TAKE GENERA AND SHOVE IT....WIL YOU FOLLOW ME....i i SAY TAKE MCKESSON AND SHOVE IT WILL YOU FOLLOW ME. tHE FACT IS EVEN IF WALT DIDNT NEED TO SEND YOU THERE HE WOULD BECAUSE HE BELIEVES HE READS MINDS....HE IS OLD....FEEBLE....AND HIS POSSIBLE BONUS MIGHT BE THE REASON SO MANY OF US WORK LATE THAT WANT TO GO HOME WALTER IS NOT A NICE PERSON....THAT'S A FACT.

1.5 stops per hour.....It's easy to do....15 stops in a 10 hour day .....no problem....give me 14 deliveries and I do 1 pick-up....9 deliveries and I do 6 pickups....no pressure and not killing myself....Management knows we need more drivers and we have enough work to justify it. I just do my job and what is expected of me.

Or sell it to one of the poor saps who stay!!
I sold mine to a new hire for 100 and I paid 50 from a 10 year senior driver that quit and told them to stick this job up their azz. I heard it personally and at that point I was wondering if I made a mistake. In hind sight I made a 50 dollar profit and had enough sense to not waste more than one year in that sweat shop so I was good. More power to the drivers that love their job, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

is it true that dispatchers get bonus's for the work drivers do?

My ex company rated the dispatch performance based on the pick ups a driver made. That rating went to determine their pay. So yes,the dispatcher got paid on the drivers work. That was at Jevic. Look at what a thriving company they are today!!

I sold mine to a new hire for 100 and I paid 50 from a 10 year senior driver that quit and told them to stick this job up their azz. I heard it personally and at that point I was wondering if I made a mistake. In hind sight I made a 50 dollar profit and had enough sense to not waste more than one year in that sweat shop so I was good. More power to the drivers that love their job, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

At this point it would have to be something real drastic to make me leave this place being at the top rate of 25.80 up here in CT. I sure wont find many places willing to start me at that even with my 27 years of experience. Im pretty well stuck I think.

But him being in CT. is a no brainer...He probably has a easy route he's been on for years and that's good money for that State. The cost of living in the N.E. is crazy and he's not pressured like you would be in Dallas which wants about 2 stops per hour. (20 stops in a 10hr. work day) Senior level guys have it made in those markets. He would be a fool to leave. And I'm sure he's quite happy.

$25.80 for all hours worked! No O.T. Pathetic![/QUOTE

You have to remember that a lot of companies have a 10 to 15 percent reduction in pay right off the bat ( for lack of better words). All said and done, we are making just as much as the other side with the exception of maybe UPS and ABF.

But him being in CT. is a no brainer...He probably has a easy route he's been on for years and that's good money for that State. The cost of living in the N.E. is crazy and he's not pressured like you would be in Dallas which wants about 2 stops per hour. (20 stops in a 10hr. work day) Senior level guys have it made in those markets. He would be a fool to leave. And I'm sure he's quite happy.

Ive had better jobs and worse. I have been on this route since we opened this terminal but its far from easy. I actually average 20 stops a day in a 9 hour day but I also average about 120 miles a day. Getting time and a half would be nice however I used to get that back when I was a FedEx freight driver and they went out of their way to make sure we didn't work OT. The reality is I work about 43 to 46 hours a week. That all I want, my TM want more but I tell him forget it. All in all Im ok with this job but as I said, if something better came along it would have to pay equal and have 3 weeks of vacation and that's not gonna happen. LOL

At least I work every day which is more than I can say about the YRC guys up north here.
R&L is a money making machine. And a good company if your a senior guy. It's the new hires that take the screwing. R&L has no mercy on them and will run them until they drop. It's a young mans game at R&L in Dallas.