SAIA | is Saia going down the ESPN road?

Dracula

TB Veteran
Credits
I used to listen to ESPN Radio but then they decided to go political. Why couldn't they just do sports? Now, has Saia turned into a socially conscious company that used to be a freight company? The company forces me to watch the Truckers Against Trafficking video, 35 minutes out of my life, that I will never get back. Then, to put the cherry on top, I get to work and, in my paperwork, is this award certificate reporting that I had passed the Truckers Against Trafficking program. What's next, Truckers Against Bullying or Truckers #METOO?

Can't we be just a freight company?

1. You should have been on the clock. Less of a waste than waiting on a trailer close or meet.

2. I told my TM during the video that this doesn't apply to me. I don't stop & I don't pay attention to anything but what I'm doing.

3. To paraphrase an old ABF thread quote: We are a stock & shareholder shell that just happens to move freight.

4. Give me my trailer #s, my destination & my out time and stay the hell out of my way. #HAMMERDOWN?

May I interject? LTL isn’t the proper forum for TAT. It is a great program, but doesn’t really apply to LTL

Reactions: Ump
I have to disagree with BigBuck. Trafficking does apply to LTL, to all of us, because of it's brutality and abuse, not just to kids but to everyone that is abused. Tens of thousands of truckstops are used by LTL. The list of LTL's using truckstops for meeting and swapping trailers is like a who's who of LTL. OD, Triple A Cooper, UPS, and Saia all meet in my nightly meet and swap location.

My beef is don't make some big lets slap each other on the back and give out certificates production out of it, which I'm sure will result in Saia getting some kind of award ,from somebody, with pictures and a write up in the Saia newsletter. Take 5 minutes at a quarterly meeting away from the bullshit useless information and ask for employee participation.

The problem is not us reporting the trafficking, the problem is the police not responding to it. Several stories in the news show that the police don't respond when called on. But, it makes the safety guys feel good about themselves.

I never understood why the video wanted us to call a 1800 report number instead of the local 911. At my meet location, every night looks like a police convention is in town and eating in the truckstop restaurant.

In the state of Arkansas to renew my cdl I actually had to show I had completed this course to get it renewed. That was before saia also made me do it.

The problem is not us reporting the trafficking, the problem is the police not responding to it. Several stories in the news show that the police don't respond when called on. But, it makes the safety guys feel good about themselves.
Like using 911 to report suspected drunk driver. See them every night. Not gonna argue with the operator. Just stopped calling.

My point was that as an LTL driver, the likelihood of you trafficking is minimal compared to full load and for hire carriers. You are under a much closer watch. But I see your point Dracula. This is a nationwide issue affecting our industry and we should do our best to police ourselves so that we don’t get under any more scrutiny.

Can you imagine: getting pulled into a scale and having them check you every time? Or eliminate the pre-pass so that every driver could be checked and inspected. Wow.

My point was that as an LTL driver, the likelihood of you trafficking is minimal compared to full load and for hire carriers. You are under a much closer watch. But I see your point Dracula. This is a nationwide issue affecting our industry and we should do our best to police ourselves so that we don’t get under any more scrutiny.

Can you imagine: getting pulled into a scale and having them check you every time? Or eliminate the pre-pass so that every driver could be checked and inspected. Wow.
Never happen. The states barely budget enough money for the Scale Masters pay as it is. Not enough revenue produced to cover total costs to run a weigh station 8 hours a day, much less 24. von.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm not suggesting that LTL drivers are doing the trafficking. Trafficking is such a slimy crime, that my position is and always will be, if I see something I will say something or, in my case, forget the 1 800 number and just call the truckstop restaurant. I don't need the company to be politically correct and jam it down my throat. A simple reminder, that the company is participating and would appreciate the participation of it's drivers, would have been enough.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm not suggesting that LTL drivers are doing the trafficking. Trafficking is such a slimy crime, that my position is and always will be, if I see something I will say something or, in my case, forget the 1 800 number and just call the truckstop restaurant. I don't need the company to be politically correct and jam it down my throat. A simple reminder, that the company is participating and would appreciate the participation of it's drivers, would have been enough.

That seems like it is a better approach. Just have them hang an announcement by the time clock. Not necessary to make you guys sit through another video. They need to concentrate on moving freight, not being PC

It’s not political. It just another training video. I’m sure if you or someone you know was put in this situation you’d want someone to say something. 90% of the time we have to wait around 1-2 hours on equipment or freight. On the bright side you got paid to watch a video. It’s kind of sad we have to watch a video on how to drive the new trucks.