ODFL | Is the OD fleet Automatic or Manual?

Notspiderman

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey Everyone,

This might be a silly question, but I was wondering if OD's fleet consisted of mostly automatic or manual trucks?

I only recently graduated from driving school (8 months ago), and the company I've been employed with in the meantime only uses AMTs. I have my drive test with OD next week and am a bit nervous that I might be well out of practice if it's in a manual.

I appreciate any responses. I'm crossing my fingers, I've heard great things about OD from drivers I've talked too.

Consider yourself lucky to get an interview with OD with only 8 months experience. Take it as it comes. I have been driving 17 years, no accidents, stable work history and they turned me down last year. OD is one of the best from what I have heard. Check out youtube videos on shifting to familiarize yourself with manual again but go for it.

Mostly Manual and you will take your road test in a manual.We have alot at our barn that come in and can't complete road test.So they are not hired.Good luck and really surprised that they even called you with 8 months experience.
Thank you for the response!

I'm also genuinely surprised they called me in for a road test as well. I put my application in and figured nothing would come of it.

Being out of practice is definitely my fault. It's a skill that I shouldn't have let sit.

Consider yourself lucky to get an interview with OD with only 8 months experience. Take it as it comes. I have been driving 17 years, no accidents, stable work history and they turned me down last year. OD is one of the best from what I have heard. Check out youtube videos on shifting to familiarize yourself with manual again but go for it.
Thank you for response!

Going for it is all I can do I guess. I'll be happy if it works out, and after hearing how difficult it is to get an interview I consider myself lucky to even have the opportunity.

Thank you for the response!

I'm also genuinely surprised they called me in for a road test as well. I put my application in and figured nothing would come of it.

Being out of practice is definitely my fault. It's a skill that I shouldn't have let sit.
Find an owner operator and offer some cash to shift around truckstop i want to do that to try a 13 speed if your in Chicago i got a guy for you

For anyone who is wondering, I was luckily and the fleet I'm with currently rented a Penske with a manual transmission. Got to freshen up a bit with it over the weekend (it was surprisingly "like riding a bike"), and passed my drive test without an issue. Fortunate to have the experience, and have it work out in the end.

Thanks for all the replies and any advice given.

For anyone who is wondering, I was luckily and the fleet I'm with currently rented a Penske with a manual transmission. Got to freshen up a bit with it over the weekend (it was surprisingly "like riding a bike"), and passed my drive test without an issue. Fortunate to have the experience, and have it work out in the end.

Thanks for all the replies and any advice given.
Nice job, man! Hope you get the job! When they're desperate for drivers 8 months is sufficient. (FTR, I was hired with only 8 months experience, too)

In Denver their having a (we’re desperate for drivers)hiring event. Never thought I see the day OD needs a hiring event. But every LTL including Walmart needs an average of 30 or more drivers. FXF is opening a 2nd terminal built from the ground up in Denver or near it. It’s pretty big also. Crazy in Denver.

In Denver their having a (we’re desperate for drivers)hiring event. Never thought I see the day OD needs a hiring event. But every LTL including Walmart needs an average of 30 or more drivers. FXF is opening a 2nd terminal built from the ground up in Denver or near it. It’s pretty big also. Crazy in Denver.
My wife and I would love to move to Denver but I’d have to make $2 a mile to maintain the same quality of life that we have in rural North Carolina. It’s turned us off from relocating anywhere in the Rockies unfortunately.

My wife and I would love to move to Denver but I’d have to make $2 a mile to maintain the same quality of life that we have in rural North Carolina. It’s turned us off from relocating anywhere in the Rockies unfortunately.
No doubt. Cost of living is high here. An average on a decent side of town 3 bedroom 2 bath is around 400k. If you need a bigger house in a school friendly neighborhood it’s 500k-600k. Same house you’d pay 200-300k in Texas and live pretty comfortably. Rent is close to 2k for a 1 bedroom apt. Lol.

I'm fresh out of CDL school with no experience at all and I took a road test for OD earlier this week. I did not pass, partly because I was less than 24 hours out of the hospital from having my gallbladder removed, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to try.

Some of the highlights....
The manager asked me to be there at 6am.
The terminal was emaculate.
The drivers coming into the break room all seemed happy.
They set a goal of 7 million for the month and were well over 8 million.
The road test guy asked me to do a pre trip on the front end of the tractor.
Then under the hood.
There were several things we never discussed in class so I winged it and rattled off what should obviously be in good condition before a test.
Never asked to do any brake tests. I thought that was odd. (UPS asked me to do air brake tests).
We hooked up to one pup. I have a doubles endorsement but it is not on my license yet because I was waiting for TSA approval for Hazmat later in the week, to get it all done at once. I have them all on my license now.
We drove around the area and since I intentionally took no pain medication of any kind for a day before this I was hurting a little.
The test drive didn't go well. Normally my shifting is smooth but it was sloppy that morning.
BACKING. We did only straight line, offset and parallel in school. We never did dock backing.
So I blew that too because it was not smooth.
I determined I need more experience with the basics with a company that has a good training program. It won't take much for me and I'll be a great asset to a company in a few months.
I chose OD because I want to run linehaul for an LTL carrier.

I'm fresh out of CDL school with no experience at all and I took a road test for OD earlier this week. I did not pass, partly because I was less than 24 hours out of the hospital from having my gallbladder removed, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to try.

Some of the highlights....
The manager asked me to be there at 6am.
The terminal was emaculate.
The drivers coming into the break room all seemed happy.
They set a goal of 7 million for the month and were well over 8 million.
The road test guy asked me to do a pre trip on the front end of the tractor.
Then under the hood.
There were several things we never discussed in class so I winged it and rattled off what should obviously be in good condition before a test.
Never asked to do any brake tests. I thought that was odd. (UPS asked me to do air brake tests).
We hooked up to one pup. I have a doubles endorsement but it is not on my license yet because I was waiting for TSA approval for Hazmat later in the week, to get it all done at once. I have them all on my license now.
We drove around the area and since I intentionally took no pain medication of any kind for a day before this I was hurting a little.
The test drive didn't go well. Normally my shifting is smooth but it was sloppy that morning.
BACKING. We did only straight line, offset and parallel in school. We never did dock backing.
So I blew that too because it was not smooth.
I determined I need more experience with the basics with a company that has a good training program. It won't take much for me and I'll be a great asset to a company in a few months.
I chose OD because I want to run linehaul for an LTL carrier.
Hate it didn’t work out for you mang but keep plugging away, we can’t all start out on the top. You have the balls to be honest and upfront about things, that’s more than most have. Keep working at it and you’ll get in where you want to be in due time.

Hate it didn’t work out for you mang but keep plugging away, we can’t all start out on the top. You have the balls to be honest and upfront about things, that’s more than most have. Keep working at it and you’ll get in where you want to be in due time.
My first two hiring opportunities were UPS and OD and I probably should have tested with a more entry level company for a year to get experience. That's what I'm doing now.