ABF | Is this a good Co. for a new driver?

ElcaminoMan

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm looking to get into the business, go to school to get all the certs. and start a new career at 43.
I'm doing all the research I can stomach, and STILL I'm not sure where to turn.
I've heard alot about this company and think it is worth the effort to get in.
Looking for all replies.

ElcaminoMan said:
I'm looking to get into the business, go to school to get all the certs. and start a new career at 43.
Looking for all replies.

ElcaminoMan, ABF is probably the best union company to hook up with. They are very well run which makes them very profitable.

From what I've heard from guys that work there, they also treat their drivers with respect which you may not find everywhere.

You may also want to look into Yellow, Roadway, FedEx Freight, Holland.

They are also good companies to work for

Good luck

:USA: ELcaminoMan, abf is ,if not the best,one of the best ltl and union carriers there is to work for.they hire out of school w/ an extended training program. good luck:showoff:
ElcaminoMan said:
Looking for all replies.

I can't believe how much help all of you are. LOL I mean that in a good way. Are most of you this way? I'll have to try to be a little nicer to fit in. he he he
Thanks to all.

El camino, let me add to the recommendations to jump on at ABF.. I don't know anybody with a bad experience there. Back in the early 90's, the linehaul mgr at red star had one of his famous brain farts and laid off a ton of harrisburg roadmen. they went to abf and never looked back. as long as you don't care about running too fast, you'll be fine. Good luck

When you are a rookie, any company is good, You have to pay your dues

Yea, back to the bottom again.
LOL I feel like a bottom feeder whenever I switch jobs.
I haven't switched for 8 years now, so that's gotta be worth something to these companies.

El caminoMan , Are you looking at linehaul or city or dock?
I am Linehaul at ABF in St.louis. I am number 38 on a 46 man board and I work everyday i am available for work. It really is a good company to work for.
I worked Linehaul at Yellow and i never knew when i was going to work. Even in the hight of the "Busy Season" I set at the house 10 days waiting for work that never came. I guess if you havent gone through that you dont know how much it sucks. ABF only hires the people they need (in my experience) yellow hires just in case they might have freight.
I wish I had come over here years ago! I have been driveing pups since 3-95. Oh well hind sight is 20\20.
The trucks are slow 62mph , but no road truck is older than 34 monthes that is nice!
Good Luck!

That would probably be line haul. I don't want to drive in the city. Can't do the dock thing. Whatever I can do to not touch any freight.

I wish I would have had the oportuneties. (spellcheck please) :hysterical: that these young guys have today. My god there is top pay driving jobs for youth that has never even sat behind the wheel of any truck.:holysheep:

:fruit: :drama:
Luv dem sheep!

Sovereign said:
What is the difference between Driving traing school-city driver & regular city driver?
Im not real sure what you mean.................Driver training for city driving is probably on the job training. After you receive basic driver skills training. (you know so you dont kill someone on the streets.) :poster_oops:

While I was filling out the online application, it ask what position I am applying. It had city driver & driving training school - City driver.

I chose city driver. would they still consider me even though I do not experience? or they will automatically place me as a dring traing school - city driver.

Sovereign said:
While I was filling out the online application, it ask what position I am applying. It had city driver & driving training school - City driver.
If your an experienced driver you click on city driver if your an inexperienced driver they will send you to driver school.

Sovereign said:
I chose city driver. would they still consider me even though I do not experience? or they will automatically place me as a dring traing school - city driver.
If you are accepted they will probably work you for a while on the dock to see if you are a good worker.

If you have a CDL then they will send you out to Fort Smith AK. for their driver training school.

Or if they think that you have enough experience then they will give you a roadtest right at the terminal.

Man I would love to get in at ABF , all I hear is good about them. Even my BA said if I can get in there it would be great for me and my family. Camino good luck man which ever way you go, I will give this much advice , go union brother and dont look back !

I did just apply with ABF - fingers crossed !