It was almost like being a Sysco Driver

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Today I had a stop that had 137 cases on it. It was 4 bays on my truck! I felt like I was a Sysco driver load up the wheeler run it in run back out to the truck, re load the wheeler run it back in repeat repeat repeat. The store kept saying to me "You done yet?" I said "No we still got more!" Just kept on bringing it in. I don't think they really thought how much 137 cases is until you see it in real life, trust me it's pretty heavy. 99% wine to which is even worse, 100 cases of beer isn't that bad, wine though doesn't stack as well and can be goofy. Especially private label stuff for Aldi which is what this was an entire load of, it was literally 1/4 of my load.

On top of that, yesterday a cable on one of my trailer doors fatigued and broke, common problem and easy fix for side loaders. When I got back in I told mechanical I said "Trailer XXX needs, a new cable on door 4 on the passenger side. Would you like me to show you where the truck is parked and the door?" No they said that's okay they said just write it up they said.

I said "I did write it up, but I want to show you any how, the truck is parked right there behind that van. It's the Blue Moon Trailer."

"Nahh, that's okay I don't need to see, it will get it fixed tonight though that's an easy fix."

I thought to my self "Will get it fixed tonight they say, yeah will see."

Well sure enough when I got to work this morning they had my truck loaded really goofy, because mechanical didn't bother to fix the broken cable. I said to my self "Will get it fixed tonight they said."

Well sure enough while I was checking out my load the head mechanic and the second in command were making there rounds and I heard them stop next to my truck and started talking about the door that was broke.

I walked around and said "I reported it yesterday wrote it down and everything, couldn't have made it any easy for them to get to the truck and fix it." The two men looked at each other and said "Humm, it got reported and didn't get fixed last night." I said "They said they would fix it over night, but they didn't." The two men looked at each other and said "Yep that sounds like Johnny right there."

The second in command of mechanical got a cable and a step ladder and started fixing the door eventually he ended up replacing the spring and cable. So now that bay is back in service.

What ticks me off though is that door no excuses should have been fixed last night, it's a 15-30 minute repair, there was no excuse for that not getting done last night and then me having to lose 1/2 when I am kind of heavy and loaded and trying to roll absolutely no excuse.

I told the second in command that I couldn't have made it any easier for second shift pointed out the truck wrote it up would have stayed and helped if they needed me to, but nope he said they would get it.

The second in command said "Well, that all sounds about right, there's been a personnel change on second shift mechanical and it happened fairly recently." I said "Someone quit or get fired?" He went "Something like that." So whatever, I always look to see what positions my company is hiring for they always seem to need drivers although that has slowed a little, and not always in the delivery division sometime they want shuttle and OTR. Our OTR isn't sleeper cab out for weeks on end OTR it's mostly intrastate Dayton, Ohio to Cleveland and back. We don't even own sleeper cabs it's all day cab stuff also night shuttle, actually I would transfer to night shuttle to get the doubles experience. Although I make more money then those guys do on delivery and don't have to work nights. I notice my company always has the now hiring mechanics.

What else is funny, is the Estes Terminal in North Ridgeville, Ohio always has the sing out front saying NOW HIRING DOCK WORKERS, DRIVERS & MECHANICS

The DOCK WORKERS & DRIVERS sing comes down from time to time, but the MECHANICS sign is always up.