XPO | Jakebrakes - wet roads.

I bobtailed over 500 mines in the rain one night with the jake brake on the low setting and it was giving me good control when stopping.

Be careful, every system is a little different.

When I went to my first brainwash at G.O. I was told no jakes because people did not know how to use them. They might be on when it is wet. Now with them being computer controlled who's fault is it when the inevitable 4wheeler slides across in front of you on a wet or snowy road activating the too close feature/jake and sends you for a spin? Just curious.http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/images/smilies/stirthepot.gif

There are a lot of items on a truck that some don't know how to use. So why not teach those who don't? Na, it is just easier to just not put it on the truck. I have trouble setting my watch sometimes, does that mean I should not wear one? That is crazy talk. How many accidents were caused by the driver having the jake on in the rain? Just like knowing how much brake to give in any situation. If a driver does not know how to operate the features of the truck, well then you have to teach them or hire someone else. I wouldn't be worth a ::shit:: at brain surgery. Any of you ever watch ice road truckers? They are running up and down snow and ice covered surfaces with the jake on. You have to know when to and when not to. Simple.

What if a driver over-steers or under-steers and had an accident? Does that mean we should remove the steering-wheel? Or a driver brakes to hard and goes into a jack-knife, do we now remove the foot brake?

There are a lot of items on a truck that some don't know how to use. So why not teach those who don't? Na, it is just easier to just not put it on the truck. I have trouble setting my watch sometimes, does that mean I should not wear one? That is crazy talk. How many accidents were caused by the driver having the jake on in the rain? Just like knowing how much brake to give in any situation. If a driver does not know how to operate the features of the truck, well then you have to teach them or hire someone else. I wouldn't be worth a ::shit:: at brain surgery. Any of you ever watch ice road truckers? They are running up and down snow and ice covered surfaces with the jake on. You have to know when to and when not to. Simple.
Its important to remember "Ice Road Truckers"is a TV show, they use sound editors, if they think the sound of an engine brake is cool they'll insert it, I can gaurantee if you engange the compression brake on an icy surface or a snowpacked grade (without chains on the drive axle) its gonna stall the engine out resulting in a world of trouble for the hapless driver that it happens to,running the "Jake"with a set of empties in the rain eventually you'll end up hydroplaning!BTW great avatar bigfoot,think I know that woman from church.

Its important to remember "Ice Road Truckers"is a TV show, they use sound editors, if they think the sound of an engine brake is cool they'll insert it, I can gaurantee if you engange the compression brake on an icy surface or a snowpacked grade (without chains on the drive axle) its gonna stall the engine out resulting in a world of trouble for the hapless driver that it happens to,running the "Jake"with a set of empties in the rain eventually you'll end up hydroplaning!BTW great avatar bigfoot,think I know that woman from church.
I beg to differ.I use my Jake on snow covered 6% grades grossing 100k and never have any issues.Chains are a last resort.

What if a driver over-steers or under-steers and had an accident? Does that mean we should remove the steering-wheel? Or a driver brakes to hard and goes into a jack-knife, do we now remove the foot brake?

Yep, makes perfect sense doesn't it?

I use the jake in snow and rain all the time. Like I said, you have to know when to and when not to. One time last year it was so slick with ice on the highway, just letting off the throttle (no Jake) made me start sliding. Yes, I do not use the jake in places like that but like I said before, you have to know when and when not to.

Having spent 5 years running those same ice roads to those same mines you see on Ice Road Truckers I can attest to the fact that using jakes/retarders on those roads is a non-issue. Fact of the matter is, I would sooner run on those roads in a snowstorm than a highway. Better traction, less vehicles. Although many of the issues pointed out on that show are very true, they are very rare. I have driven on those roads in 2 feet of water with 140, 000 lbs gross. I won't say I wasn't nervous, but it's just something that is done, and is rarely ever a problem for the most part.

As has been mentioned, it's not about what you use, it's how and when you use it. Like driving on those roads, it's not the roads that usually cause the problem, it's the guy driving the truck that doesn't understand the challenges he is dealing with at any given moment that is the problem.

exactly. i think bulldog 45 was missinformed when he said the cruise needed to be set for the jake to work.

He got it right. The cruise needs to be on for the jake to work. I ran down a hill today behind a Roadway truck. I had the cruise went down the hill. Never touch the brake or throttle. The truck kept me a safe distance behind the roadway truck. First the throttle kicks off, then the jake comes on and then finally the brakes apply. Never had to do a thing other than hold the steering wheel. No jake switch in the truck and it can't be turned on. Works good with the cruise control on.

He got it right. The cruise needs to be on for the jake to work. I ran down a hill today behind a Roadway truck. I had the cruise went down the hill. Never touch the brake or throttle. The truck kept me a safe distance behind the roadway truck. First the throttle kicks off, then the jake comes on and then finally the brakes apply. Never had to do a thing other than hold the steering wheel. No jake switch in the truck and it can't be turned on. Works good with the cruise control on.
years ago i drove a pete for an outfit out of kankakee,il. we didnt have cruise, but we had jakes and they worked just fine. so i still say the cruise dosent have to be set for the jake to work.

years ago i drove a pete for an outfit out of kankakee,il. we didnt have cruise, but we had jakes and they worked just fine. so i still say the cruise dosent have to be set for the jake to work.
Since there are no switches to activate the jake, you would be mistaken.

Since there are no switches to activate the jake, you would be mistaken.
since you have no switches yours is auotomatic and have no control over it. all im saying is if you have a switch you can turn it off and on manually and the jake will work with the cruise on or off. there was a time when cruise was optional and most did not have it but they could still have jakes. are you sure you have a jake brake or could it be an exhaust brake? just wondering.

One step closer to eliminating the driver. :shift:

years ago i drove a pete for an outfit out of kankakee,il. we didn't have cruise, but we had Jakes and they worked just fine. so i still say the cruise dosent have to be set for the Jake to work.

I think it is something besides a Jake brake.Every Jake I have seen has a switch to turn it off and on.Mine works with cruise off,and on but has to be deactivated to work then.Mack has one that works like he is talking about.Works with cruise on to hold speed going down hill.But it is not a Jake.

These trucks have Jakes on them.When the trucks were ordered , some genius in Ann Arbor didn't think we needed them with controls for the driver.The trucks are supposed to have the dash switches and steering wheel controls put on at the first PM.At least that is what they are doing out here where we pull triples on 6 and 7 % grades.