ODFL | January 1 2016

bknodfl

TB Lurker
Credits
heard old dominion will be force to pay overtime in Jan 2016. Due to Obama new law. I ran line haul last week and od is hiring a bunch of people's to keep all workers under 40 hrs

ino7YOX.jpg

heard old dominion will be force to pay overtime in Jan 2016. Due to Obama new law. I ran line haul last week and od is hiring a bunch of people's to keep all workers under 40 hrs
Maybe this is why, read 3rd paragraph.

The Motor Carrier Exemption under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Section 13(b)(1) of the FLSA provides an overtime exemption for employees who are within the authority of the Secretary of Transportation to establish qualifications and maximum hours of service pursuant to Section 204 of the Motor Carrier Act of 1935, except those employees covered by the small vehicle exception described below.

Thus, the 13(b)(1) overtime exemption applies to employees who are:

Employed by a motor carrier or motor private carrier, as defined in 49 U.S.C. Section 13102 (see Employer below);Drivers, driver’s helpers, loaders, or mechanics whose duties affect the safety of operation of motor vehicles in transportation on public highways in interstate or foreign commerce (seeEmployee Duties below); andNot covered by the small vehicle exception (see Small Vehicle Exception below).

Unless they cancel this, which they havent, no overtime for you!

Not sure if this true but hired driver started Monday and we are slowing down. Another guy starts next Monday we are about 30 man p&d terminal. We have been talking this week about "why are they hiring 2 more driver" not like any of us get OT. We work about 11hrs a day. Time will tell......

Not sure if this true but hired driver started Monday and we are slowing down. Another guy starts next Monday we are about 30 man p&d terminal. We have been talking this week about "why are they hiring 2 more driver" not like any of us get OT. We work about 11hrs a day. Time will tell......

This happens every year. If the guys are any good they'll keep them and kick off the deadweight.

Heard shop guys were cut back from 50 to 40 hours last week. They were told it's due to the slow time of year. Doesn't make much since, because the the number of equipment to maintain is the same and the cold caused more issues. So if that's true it's really to save bottom line $ i figure, or something else in the works, but doubtful.

Heard shop guys were cut back from 50 to 40 hours last week. They were told it's due to the slow time of year. Doesn't make much since, because the the number of equipment to maintain is the same and the cold caused more issues. So if that's true it's really to save bottom line $ i figure, or something else in the works, but doubtful.
They get OT after 40 .

They get OT after 40 .

No they don't. Just like the dock, OD claims they are exempt because they support the movement of freight. The hours being cut got to me from a driver who's son is a mechanic. Unless OT is coming, they arn't currently paid it.

No they don't. Just like the dock, OD claims they are exempt because they support the movement of freight. The hours being cut got to me from a driver who's son is a mechanic. Unless OT is coming, they arn't currently paid it.
Thought they got OT.Sorry!!Around here they work 40 a week.The shops are seperate from OD freight side.

Just got off the phone with shop foreman here.Body shop works 40 hours&everyone else work 40 to 45.OT after 60.Learn something new everyday.lol.Love how they get by with it.Lol

I would think paying over time is cheaper then buying new tractors or paying insurance for a driver you might not need.

Times are a changing, you old timers better get used to it. OD is not a "mom n pop" anymore. They have to change with the times or get left behind. I think we see what direction they will go.

I would think paying over time is cheaper then buying new tractors or paying insurance for a driver you might not need.

Times are a changing, you old timers better get used to it. OD is not a "mom n pop" anymore. They have to change with the times or get left behind. I think we see what direction they will go.
Yup OD is going for the top. If you want to go with us change your thoughts or leave. This is a team.

Yup OD is going for the top. If you want to go with us change your thoughts or leave. This is a team.
What makes you think I'm not a team player? Because I ask questions or I don't agree with you older drivers on everything? My thoughts are team oriented. Go back and read some of my Battles with Kenny and Billylo. I'm advocating for them to get better pay and not have to work 55 hours to make a good wage. My negativity comes from them wanting ME to take less, when they wont fight for themselves to get more. I know I rub people on this site the wrong way. But in the end it's all just opinion and banter. You have yours, I have mine. We'll see who is right in the end.

And if your gonna PM somebody and tell them to stop bullying you, maybe it would be better if you took your own advice. I'd never ask you to change your thoughts or leave. My opinion and thoughts are just as important to me as yours are to you. Doesn't make one right or one wrong. Deal with it or put me on ignore!

What makes you think I'm not a team player? Because I ask questions or I don't agree with you older drivers on everything? My thoughts are team oriented. Go back and read some of my Battles with Kenny and Billylo. I'm advocating for them to get better pay and not have to work 55 hours to make a good wage. My negativity comes from them wanting ME to take less, when they wont fight for themselves to get more. I know I rub people on this site the wrong way. But in the end it's all just opinion and banter. You have yours, I have mine. We'll see who is right in the end.

And if your gonna PM somebody and tell them to stop bullying you, maybe it would be better if you took your own advice. I'd never ask you to change your thoughts or leave. My opinion and thoughts are just as important to me as yours are to you. Doesn't make one right or one wrong. Deal with it or put me on ignore!
No Battle between me&anyone on here.I've stated before&will state again.The one's who have been around long enough know OD will never pay OT.I have never mention to you about taking less.I very able to takecare of myself&if I have a problem I go straight to the source.So you need to takecare of yourself&if you need to make a appointment to come to Corp.Office just let me know& I would be more than happy to get you in.Will even open the door for you into Big man's Office&take note's.:2437:Lastly,my name is Kenneth not Kenny.I don't appreciate my name being put into your battle to prove a point.Good Evening UMP!!!!

Sorry about the name, didn't mean to offend you. I brought up your name not to prove a point, but to show we can disagree and still all work together to make OD the best ltl to work for. This company prides its self on diversity. That comes in many shapes and forms including opinions. We all chose to work here for one reason or the other and the open door policy at OD is really an open door. I don't need to go to corporate to get my ideas listened to. My SCM is very pro active and Chris Kelley makes himself available to us if we have issues.

Thanks for the invite thou, and you have a good evening as well Kenneth. Again I apologize about the name.