XPO | Job Selection Process & Favoritism

drivin4truthnow

TB Lurker
Credits
With the Job Selection Process (JSP) just around the corner has anyone else noticed the favoritism and complete disregard for seniority? It's by design that the system is rolled out every year as "A driver bids a start time not a route". Well let's take a closer look at this statement, it's XPO's ballgame and they control the entire ballgame. Local management can make ANY driver appear as though they are overly productive or not productive on the dock and in the P&D environment. Give a dockworker tasks outside of moving freight and BOOM, there goes his motor move numbers. Give a driver numerous handoff deliveries and once again BOOM, there goes the stop per hour numbers. So, the moral of this thread is that XPO puts their favorites :grouphug: where they want by FAVORITISM not by true production numbers. Runs are created to personalize them to a so called favorite. I've seen at multiple service centers where individuals are on routes for 10 years or more and I have asked why that is. The answer I get is, that driver knows that task better than anyone else. I'm pretty certain after a short period of time anyone can complete a given route or task efficiently if given that task. It's really not rocket science. My question is, how versatile to the company is that individual if that's all he does? Or should we determine that's all they want to do? Routes should be delegated out as they are created and by seniority. Let's fix this and strive for true production numbers, success for all of us, and for a profitable XPO.

As far as tasks outside of dock work. I do ALOT of stuff outside of moving freight. Big ETC at the end of my job title. Spend like half the day not moving freight. But, Im on a different labor code in kronos while I'm doing it so my numbers don't suffer.

As far as tasks outside of dock work. I do ALOT of stuff outside of moving freight. Big ETC at the end of my job title. Spend like half the day not moving freight. But, Im on a different labor code in kronos while I'm doing it so my numbers don't suffer.
Valid point.

With everything thats being piled onto the handhelds , where is the program that allows you to switch job codes without going to the Kronos or having a FOS change it later?

With the Job Selection Process (JSP) just around the corner has anyone else noticed the favoritism and complete disregard for seniority? It's by design that the system is rolled out every year as "A driver bids a start time not a route". Well let's take a closer look at this statement, it's XPO's ballgame and they control the entire ballgame. Local management can make ANY driver appear as though they are overly productive or not productive on the dock and in the P&D environment. Give a dockworker tasks outside of moving freight and BOOM, there goes his motor move numbers. Give a driver numerous handoff deliveries and once again BOOM, there goes the stop per hour numbers. So, the moral of this thread is that XPO puts their favorites :grouphug: where they want by FAVORITISM not by true production numbers. Runs are created to personalize them to a so called favorite. I've seen at multiple service centers where individuals are on routes for 10 years or more and I have asked why that is. The answer I get is, that driver knows that task better than anyone else. I'm pretty certain after a short period of time anyone can complete a given route or task efficiently if given that task. It's really not rocket science. My question is, how versatile to the company is that individual if that's all he does? Or should we determine that's all they want to do? Routes should be delegated out as they are created and by seniority. Let's fix this and strive for true production numbers, success for all of us, and for a profitable XPO.
You make some great points. There are thing to look at. You can't have a driver switch his time from 8am to 6am and keep him on the same run (which is happening at my barn). That's favoritism with some automatic built in OT on top of it. I will be the first to say keeping a driver in a certain area is more productive with just the knowledge of the stops (open, close, lunch, and what dock to hit). My opinion is that any driver starting before 8am should not have a set pedal run. Those driver are the fill in, running bulk, early appointment/pickups, and any overflow. Local manager have become lax and keep letting the same driver stay on the same run no matter there start time which has driven animosity between the driver themselves which you are call favoritism. When I was in the city I ran every P&D route we had. some I liked and others I didn't. The biggest problem I had was if an 8am driver was on vacation they started me (flex board) a 8am on Monday,9 on Tuesday,9:30 on wed, 10 on thru, and 1030 on Fri and I would be running the same route all week. I was expected to to the same amount all week with every day having a later start time. Yet that driver started at 8am everyday and his work load was the same. So you really want to talk about favoritism it happen at both ends of the seniority list. I been on LH for years and if I went back into the city my number would suck but after a month or two they should be up to par and if not then a sit down is needed. I know some driver that just are not good in some area and just like sports you don't put you pitcher as you first baseman. I some cases you have no choose you got to do what you can with what you got.
This Favoritism is still going on in the LH end to though over time it has decreased. It more at the FAC with the via list. If you or the guy from you barn are good on the dock the FOM would find a way to not give you vias even though they are the smartest and cost efficient way to run them. Because you have a good work ethic you are stuck sweating or freezing on the dock so he can make his numbers.
Manager right now are judged by the number and they will do what it takes to get them. So the ones with a good work ethic are called on more and more while the lazy get to go home. So is it favoritism or just the manger knowing who can get the job done.

Give a dockworker tasks outside of moving freight and BOOM, there goes his motor move numbers.

True, although I've never seen anyone fired for production numbers on the dock.

Give a driver numerous handoff deliveries and once again BOOM, there goes the stop per hour numbers.

Except that city drivers aren't measured by stops per hour anymore. You're measured against the Workload planning that gives you a goal based on routing and the time it takes other drivers to complete those specific stops. In my experience, it is very easy to beat those numbers comfortably, whether you're on a liftgate route or bouncing off 10 docks in the same industrial park.

I'm pretty certain after a short period of time anyone can complete a given route or task efficiently if given that task.

Yeah, no. The idea that every CDL holder is capable of the same speed and efficiency is nonsense, no matter how much time you give them.

Some people are just slow.

My question is, how versatile to the company is that individual if that's all he does?

Why do you think versatility is so important? I don't think it is.

Routes should be delegated out as they are created and by seniority.

Ha! Because inbound and dispatch have tons of extra time to referee that circle jerk.

How about we just run what we're given and stop worrying about the other guy? You'll be much happier.

True, although I've never seen anyone fired for production numbers on the dock.

Except that city drivers aren't measured by stops per hour anymore. You're measured against the Workload planning that gives you a goal based on routing and the time it takes other drivers to complete those specific stops. In my experience, it is very easy to beat those numbers comfortably, whether you're on a liftgate route or bouncing off 10 docks in the same industrial park.

Yeah, no. The idea that every CDL holder is capable of the same speed and efficiency is nonsense, no matter how much time you give them.

Some people are just slow.

Why do you think versatility is so important? I don't think it is.

Ha! Because inbound and dispatch have tons of extra time to referee that circle jerk.

How about we just run what we're given and stop worrying about the other guy? You'll be much happier.
You seem like a thoughtful person.

So , no minimum standards for production? No versatility? This seems to contradict the idea of just running what you are given.

A person without versatility may not want to run what they are given. Even at a highly unionized place like UPS package there are standards that are upheld or there are consequences. Look up Intergrad for a UPS package car driver.

So , no minimum standards for production? No versatility? This seems to contradict the idea of just running what you are given.

Eh, I'm fine with standards, but I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone to be able to meet those standards on every route, which is what I assume is meant by "versatility".

Management's job is to do the best they can with what they have. If a driver does a good job on a dock route and sucks at the residential garbage route, and I can do either one well, I know what I'm running. I get it. The job is to deliver freight, not equality.

If people want the easy work, they can go drive for Walmart.

Eh, I'm fine with standards, but I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone to be able to meet those standards on every route, which is what I assume is meant by "versatility".

Management's job is to do the best they can with what they have. If a driver does a good job on a dock route and sucks at the residential garbage route, and I can do either one well, I know what I'm running. I get it. The job is to deliver freight, not equality.

If people want the easy work, they can go drive for Walmart.
So there is no expectation for management to increase productivity of a driver to that of their peers? No responsibility for management to do anything but get good numbers by constantly going to your better performing drivers or dockworkers instead of putting in the work to improve your lower performing workers?

This sounds like the exact opposite of what you were advocating for in a previous post. If a driver wants something easier it's wrong? But it's fine if management takes the easier way out by giving cake assignments to low productivity people instead of working to increase their production.

Aside from numerical goals being reached , do you see any real role for management? It would be a tremendous savings to eliminate low level management if all that's necessary is to blindly follow orders and have little responsibility.

So there is no expectation for management to increase productivity of a driver to that of their peers?

To make everyone equally productive? I think that's an unrealistic goal. Of course you want to motivate everyone to do the best that they can, and show them the best way, but that's not the same as bringing everyone up to Jimmy Peddle's level.

At a certain point, you're either going to have to accept their productivity or fire them for it. Are you going to dump an experienced driver and good employee in every other way just because they aren't as fast as everyone else on a particular route? I doubt it.

This sounds like the exact opposite of what you were advocating for in a previous post. If a driver wants something easier it's wrong?

If you want something easier just because you feel like you deserve it or because you work harder than someone else, then yes. Integrity. You go to work and do the best you can. It doesn't matter what your numbers are, or what my numbers are, or how fast everyone else is. I kick ass and management decides where. Simple.

You want to trade your integrity for less work? Drag your feet. They won't fire you- someone will probably take your peddle. If you can live with that, go for it. You won't be the only one.

To make everyone equally productive? I think that's an unrealistic goal. Of course you want to motivate everyone to do the best that they can, and show them the best way, but that's not the same as bringing everyone up to Jimmy Peddle's level.

At a certain point, you're either going to have to accept their productivity or fire them for it. Are you going to dump an experienced driver and good employee in every other way just because they aren't as fast as everyone else on a particular route? I doubt it.

If you want something easier just because you feel like you deserve it or because you work harder than someone else, then yes. Integrity. You go to work and do the best you can. It doesn't matter what your numbers are, or what my numbers are, or how fast everyone else is. I kick ass and management decides where. Simple.

You want to trade your integrity for less work? Drag your feet. They won't fire you- someone will probably take your peddle. If you can live with that, go for it. You won't be the only one.
My point was for management to make the effort. Is it realistic to expect someone in management to do the job of managing?

So it's more realistic for management to take the path of least resistance and have no responsibility ( outside of number whoring ) to for those that underperform?

Feelings were only mentioned by you. This is a sincere attempt to understand what the expectations for management are from someone that has said just run what you are given and don't worry about what others are doing.

At no point was anything mentioned about trading integrity for less work. How much more could be achieved if there was some expectation for management to have some responsibility for what goes on? For making an attempt to get more from those that may be underperforming?

My point was for management to make the effort. Is it realistic to expect someone in management to do the job of managing?

So it's more realistic for management to take the path of least resistance and have no responsibility ( outside of number whoring ) to for those that underperform?

Feelings were only mentioned by you. This is a sincere attempt to understand what the expectations for management are from someone that has said just run what you are given and don't worry about what others are doing.

At no point was anything mentioned about trading integrity for less work. How much more could be achieved if there was some expectation for management to have some responsibility for what goes on? For making an attempt to get more from those that may be underperforming?
This is my point EXACTLY! Excellent response! Managers need to persuade the underperforming folks to improve or get people for the job that are more capable. Why do managers settle for mediocre performance instead of demanding improvement? Because it's the path of least resistance as long as that service center achieves its minimal goal numbers. The good employees with stellar work ethic are what some may say are exploited while the underperforming or as some may categorize as "slackers" get the same credit for successful service center numbers. Its a dichotomy to be solved and the JSP adds to the problem. Maybe bids could be awarded by performance numbers, now that would motivate improvement.

My point was for management to make the effort.

But in the context of this discussion it sounds as though you're presenting it as a black and white evaluation, that if they accept inequality when it comes to production that somehow they are not managing. I'm saying I disagree with that idea.

This is a sincere attempt to understand what the expectations for management are from someone that has said just run what you are given and don't worry about what others are doing.

The expectations for managers come from their managers. That's not my problem, so I don't sweat it.

How much more could be achieved if there was some expectation for management to have some responsibility for what goes on?

Isn't there? How many managers has XPO fired in the last 4 years? And how has that improved things? Either way, I'm content to let them worry about their own productivity.

For making an attempt to get more from those that may be underperforming...

I believe that they do make that attempt, but results aren't guaranteed.

The good employees with stellar work ethic are what some may say are exploited while the underperforming or as some may categorize as "slackers" get the same credit for successful service center numbers. Its a dichotomy to be solved..

Good luck with that.

Does every player on an NFL team run the same 40 time, or rack up the same yardage? Do the SEALs running down the beach all carry the same portion of the weight of those utility poles or boats? That's not exploitation, it's part of being on a team.

And are you really worried about who gets credit for those service center numbers? That's the SCMs neck, not yours.

Maybe bids could be awarded by performance numbers, now that would motivate improvement.
This company doesn't have enough cry towel and HR phones will be blowing up. How dare you hold a top of the board to a standard he been here XX years and deserves special treatment. That's the way some of them think.

This is my point EXACTLY! Excellent response! Managers need to persuade the underperforming folks to improve or get people for the job that are more capable. Why do managers settle for mediocre performance instead of demanding improvement?
Simple.... Politics.

It all depends on the skin shade of the slackers. If they’re mostly black, then to bust heads over productivity would have the potential for the appearance of political incorrectness and we couldn’t possibly tolerate that.

Simple.... Politics.

It all depends on the skin shade of the slackers. If they’re mostly black, then to bust heads over productivity would have the potential for the appearance of political incorrectness and we couldn’t possibly tolerate that.
or be accused of making it a Hostile work environment

The biggest issue with standards is that we work in an industry where standards are extremely difficult if not impossible to extend across runs.

What's the standard? 2 stops per hour?

I can do that pretty easily on my run. The guy with the 230 mile run can't. The guy in the industrial park 4 miles from the barn can crush my numbers.

Who's the better peddle man?

If a dock guy gets a 30 bill horror show of a trailer and another guy gets three straight 12 bill floor loads... will the moves per hour number really show us who's a better worker?

I think we'd all agree that it would be nice for the slower guys to speed up, and that can be worked on with good supervisors, lol, but I'm not sure standards and metrics are the best gauge.

The biggest issue with standards is that we work in an industry where standards are extremely difficult if not impossible to extend across runs.

What's the standard? 2 stops per hour?

I can do that pretty easily on my run. The guy with the 230 mile run can't. The guy in the industrial park 4 miles from the barn can crush my numbers.

Who's the better peddle man?
That would be the guy that runs a hundred miles from the yard and still has better numbers than the guy in the industrial park right down the street.

Valid point.

With everything thats being piled onto the handhelds , where is the program that allows you to switch job codes without going to the Kronos or having a FOS change it later?
I had a similar ‘complaint’ when I worked there. The Kronos clock was a good distance from the work area, so each time we needed to switch job assignments, it took time. We asked MULTIPLE times to have a Kronos installed on the dock, to no avail. After a while, we didn’t care. We may have been pushing freight around (‘OUTBOUND DOCK’ on Kronos), but we should’ve been clocked in under the ‘SCRATCHING OUR NUTS’ assignment.