Estes | Jockey questions

Seebs

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys,

Was hoping might get little more information from any one as the guys I interviewed with didn't have exact answers. I know each barn is a bit different but figured can't hurt to ask.

Any ideas on current shift lengths for jockeys/dock? I've heard some people talk about 12hours+ but they were telling me more so 8-10 but couldn't promise exact.

Also, how common is working six/seven days a week at Estes?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Was hoping might get little more information from any one as the guys I interviewed with didn't have exact answers. I know each barn is a bit different but figured can't hurt to ask.

Any ideas on current shift lengths for jockeys/dock? I've heard some people talk about 12hours+ but they were telling me more so 8-10 but couldn't promise exact.

Thanks

The jockey at my terminal only works Monday to Friday and normally he works about 10 hours a day because he helps on the dock too. But hubs and breaks yard jockeys can work longer days because of the high volume of work. I seen one working 13 hours one day. But that’s probably not on the regular. Saturday I’m not sure of because it might depends on work flow

I can't speak for other terminals but the jockeys at my terminal work 8 hours a day Monday through Friday. Our TM is pretty strick about not giving out OT to them.
At a break it might be easier to pick up weekend shifts since the freight never stops flowing through the gates. Smaller terminals typically operate mon-fri unless they're extremely backed up.

I believe it's a break terminal. They were offering me a Tues-sat schedule and said it'd be some yard and some dock. Just trying to get as much information as possible. I've been a jockey with my current company for a long time so nervous about starting a new, but the money is tempting.

I don't know if it interests you, but they also have driving schools for jockeys that want to get their CDL. I think you have to be here a year for that.

At my barn 6/7 days a week for a jockey is pretty uncommon.

I don't know if it interests you, but they also have driving schools for jockeys that want to get their CDL. I think you have to be here a year for that.

At my barn 6/7 days a week for a jockey is pretty uncommon.

I actually have my CDL already. I only have six months otr though. They did talk to me about the training program if I decide to drive again though.

I wouldn't mind driving again, it's just getting my confidence back in that regard.

Hey guys,

Thanks
Bad thing about switchers. Most terminals you have to put the nose stand down. Your arms are going to get tired. Lol

Bad thing about switchers. Most terminals you have to put the nose stand down. Your arms are going to get tired. Lol

Ha ya, they told me you have to do that with some of them. Not exactly sure how they work but guessing similar to landing gear?

I dont mind having to work. Honestly my current job is almost too slow, hours just drag on. More just nervous about being at a new job. Been a jockey at my current job for almost six years and been a lead driver for three. So starting all over here, just trying to think positive!

Last edited:
Ha ya, they told me you have to do that with some of them. Not exactly sure how they work but guessing similar to landing gear?

I dont mind having to work. Honestly my current job is almost too slow, hours just drag on. More just nervous about being at a new job. Been a jockey at my current job for almost six years and been a lead driver for three. So starting all over here, just trying to think positive!

You’ll like it here. It can be very fast paced during the heavy inbound times but you’ll see the jockeys at the breaks don’t follow the yard posted speed limit lmao. Hub and end line terminals are a little bit slower but not by much lol