Experienced stalker
PREMIUM
Credits
160606-F-WR604-001.JPG

images

Shreveport-Times-WWII-D-Day-Invasion-front-page-June-6-1944-630x894.jpg

images

So was mine.
Mine always loved to tell people he went ashore at Normandy on D-Day. He did, and he's my hero! Fact is, tho, he Drove a truck ashore that late afternoon. He was a Sergant in charge of a squad of the Red Ball Express, the 9th Army Logistics. He always said there was still shooting, but nothing like the first three waves went into. US Rep Stan Saylor presented he and three other York Pa D-Day survivors with medals in 2004. My Dad said he saw more shooting when caught on a bridge in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge than he saw on Normandy. He died and was buried on Memorial Day Weekend in 2008.

I know you're proud of your Dad. If hes alive, hug him for me!!!!

Mine always loved to tell people he went ashore at Normandy on D-Day. He did, and he's my hero! Fact is, tho, he Drove a truck ashore that late afternoon. He was a Sergant in charge of a squad of the Red Ball Express, the 9th Army Logistics. He always said there was still shooting, but nothing like the first three waves went into. US Rep Stan Saylor presented he and three other York Pa D-Day survivors with medals in 2004. My Dad said he saw more shooting when caught on a bridge in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge than he saw on Normandy. He died and was buried on Memorial Day Weekend in 2008.

I know you're proud of your Dad. If hes alive, hug him for me!!!!

Pops was captured, a forward artillary spotter in the Battle of the Bulge. Maintained a letter writing relationship with his guard for some years after his release. Brought home his Luger as a keepsake. They were all just doing their jobs.

My dad was in the marines in Hawaii after. Few years after the attack.
He never talked about his service. But I don't think he ever saw action.
But I had very close uncle who was a gunner in one of the bubbles.
He never talked about it either. I stayed at his house alot. He awoke many nights in a cold sweat. Never complained about it. And a very nice man. I had alot of respect for him. Loved him like a dad. He was always good natured with us kids and always funny as ::shit::. I will never forget him.
(he supplied the Blatz!) he'd get ya drunk and crack up when we made fools of ourselves. Good ol days.
He was a union carpenter. Sanded wood floors on the side. He would put us to work and pay us well. And crack up when we got high after laquering the floors to finish. He was used to it. We weren't..