Yellow | Just Remember

bubbadog121

TB Veteran
Credits
To my union Brothers and Sisters, just remember, that no matter which way the vote goes, none of us, had anything to do with the sad state the company is in.

"Most of us" came to work everyday, and, gave an honest days work for an honest days pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my union Brothers and Sisters, just remember, that no matter which way the vote goes, none of us, had anything to do with the sad state the company is in.

We came to work everyday, and, gave an honest days work for an honest days pay.

If everybody came to work everyday there wouldn't be language in there for excessive absenteism.

I wish the second sentence of your post was true, dog.

Maybe you did, I guarantee you that I did, lots of other folks did, but not everybody did. We have a big problem in this company with people who call off a) because they are actually sick (legitimate reason); b) they're hung over (OK, who's the fool?); c) they're afraid to drive in the snow (are you a professional driver or not?); d) it's cold outside (have you ever thought about your Carhartt); e) there's a big game on (do you have a VCR or digital equivalent); f) they just didn't want to because the neighbor is having a BBQ (have you heard of a scheduled vacation day?). Then there are the folks who don't come to work---they show up, but there is little work involved because a) this isn't actually a freight barn, it's really a garden party; b) they're "horked off" because they got a "love letter" for perpetual (b,c,d,e,f above); c) not accomplishing much is their norm. You get the idea.
We are Teamsters, many of us Teamsters since we were very young men who aren't that young anymore. We took this job because of the pay and benefits, not because we thought it was a "skate" (most of us learned to skate as children, and a few have the broken arms to prove it). Since we started our careers, we have seen the effects of deregulation on this business. We've seen the effects of poor management decisions that adversely affect all of us. We've seen our standard of living erode because of both of those things. We've seen turmoil and divisiveness within our Union that has benefited no one except management. We've seen Union leadership at all levels who frankly aren't serving much of anyone except themselves, but we haven't collectively railed against that to change it.
But for all of those things, we still have a job to do, and we have to DO THAT JOB! The customers, those nice and not-so-nice people who feed the bank accounts that produce our paychecks, really don't care whether we're union or not. They just don't care!! They care about getting their freight moved at the lowest cost and quickest transit time with the lowest (and preferably NO) damage. That pretty well sums up their concerns.
For us to enjoy better wages and benefits than our competitors, we simply have to do it better than our competitors. Some of you may not want to hear such a thing, but for you to not want to hear it means that you have little or no interest in reality. What I've just said is the hard reality, whether you like it or not.
We have the ability to make that happen, folks! I don't want to accept another pay cut, and I don't think that you do either. I want our 15%, our vacation week and our pension money back, ALL of it! To make that happen means that we have to sharpen our pencil, dig in our heels and prove to ourselves and everybody else that we are the professionals that we claim to be. We can do that. Some of us do it every day already.
When the management screws up, don't just stand there and wag your finger. Confront them and make them fix it. Better yet, prove that we can run the show better than they can, with predictable results (so long, manager!!).
That's what we need to do to thrive, guys and gals. Are you with me???

Maybe you did, I guarantee you that I did, lots of other folks did, but not everybody did. We have a big problem in this company with people who call off a) because they are actually sick (legitimate reason); b) they're hung over (OK, who's the fool?); c) they're afraid to drive in the snow (are you a professional driver or not?); d) it's cold outside (have you ever thought about your Carhartt); e) there's a big game on (do you have a VCR or digital equivalent); f) they just didn't want to because the neighbor is having a BBQ (have you heard of a scheduled vacation day?). Then there are the folks who don't come to work---they show up, but there is little work involved because a) this isn't actually a freight barn, it's really a garden party; b) they're "horked off" because they got a "love letter" for perpetual (b,c,d,e,f above); c) not accomplishing much is their norm. You get the idea.
We are Teamsters, many of us Teamsters since we were very young men who aren't that young anymore. We took this job because of the pay and benefits, not because we thought it was a "skate" (most of us learned to skate as children, and a few have the broken arms to prove it). Since we started our careers, we have seen the effects of deregulation on this business. We've seen the effects of poor management decisions that adversely affect all of us. We've seen our standard of living erode because of both of those things. We've seen turmoil and divisiveness within our Union that has benefited no one except management. We've seen Union leadership at all levels who frankly aren't serving much of anyone except themselves, but we haven't collectively railed against that to change it.
But for all of those things, we still have a job to do, and we have to DO THAT JOB! The customers, those nice and not-so-nice people who feed the bank accounts that produce our paychecks, really don't care whether we're union or not. They just don't care!! They care about getting their freight moved at the lowest cost and quickest transit time with the lowest (and preferably NO) damage. That pretty well sums up their concerns.
For us to enjoy better wages and benefits than our competitors, we simply have to do it better than our competitors. Some of you may not want to hear such a thing, but for you to not want to hear it means that you have little or no interest in reality. What I've just said is the hard reality, whether you like it or not.
We have the ability to make that happen, folks! I don't want to accept another pay cut, and I don't think that you do either. I want our 15%, our vacation week and our pension money back, ALL of it! To make that happen means that we have to sharpen our pencil, dig in our heels and prove to ourselves and everybody else that we are the professionals that we claim to be. We can do that. Some of us do it every day already.
When the management screws up, don't just stand there and wag your finger. Confront them and make them fix it. Better yet, prove that we can run the show better than they can, with predictable results (so long, manager!!).

I changed it to say most.
Maybe I was being overly optimistic...lol

Nice post, and I agree on most points.
Here is the problem, whether you want to admit to it or not, we are a number, and are all replaceable, your just uneducated, unskilled, and you don't know what that is( yes, the one's that give 110% and the one's that give 50%) that doesn't not matter.
Your saying I have to help a management employee out to do his job better so he can get promoted, while at the same time I get a pay reduction? Your kidding yourself right?
I'm not saying to not do your job correctly, but to go above and beyond for this company is setting yourself up for failure. If not equal sacrifice from the top down including our union representation, then close the doors!

Realteamster no disrespect It is a total different game these days. The younger guys don't care ,they are there for a paycheck ,there is no respect for the company and don't care about the customer. It also makes the dispatch dump the majority of the work on the older guys because we care and come he-- or high water we will get the job done. The problem with that we are getting older and sooner or later the body will break down. So what do you do work yourself to death? A little background I give 110 per cent for the last 35 years it is what I believe but the YRCW corp is teaching me maybe I am the fool to believe this way. Good Luck with what 2014 brings Brothers

Very well said.

Nice post, and I agree on most points.
Here is the problem, whether you want to admit to it or not, we are a number, and are all replaceable, your just uneducated, unskilled, and you don't know what that is( yes, the one's that give 110% and the one's that give 50%) that doesn't not matter.
Your saying I have to help a management employee out to do his job better so he can get promoted, while at the same time I get a pay reduction? Your kidding yourself right?
I'm not saying to not do your job correctly, but to go above and beyond for this company is setting yourself up for failure. If not equal sacrifice from the top down including our union representation, then close the doors!
Thank you for complimentng my post. I try very hard to tell it like I think it is. You don't know anything about my education; you would likely be shocked if you did know. We are all skilled; we show that every day when we get that mammoth vehicle from Point A to Point Z (with intermediate stops) without killing anyone. As for the management employee, it's been my observation that while some of them are quite good, they are usually NOT the ones who get promoted, and that's a shame. More frequently than not, these people get promoted because they can't handle the job they're in, so they get onto the treadmill. They exit the treadmill when they get thrown out the door. I've seen this happen quite a few times.
Bottom line is this analogy: If the Titanic is sinking, do we stand on the deck and call Capt. Smith an idiot while the ship goes down with us on deck; or do we lock the fool into his stateroom, then get down there and plug that leak? Point to ponder.
Thanks again for the compliment.

i've been at yrc for a while. they always tell us the only difference between us and non-union workers is the wage, we do the same work.
they say this while looking at 40 pcs of osd out of 200 received, by those people who do what we allegedly do. it takes 1-2 people 2-4 hours daily to deal with the osd, and we eat that cost. most of us produce less than 1% osd, misloaded, not scanned, etc. we are skilled. we want tracking to track, not indicate a lost shipment, or have an irritated customer, because 4 days later when one of those 40 received daily, is finally sent out.
point is, we are going to get what we pay for, and in the cases of some of new hires, we are. they can be pleasent, decent, but they are not of the same caliber as the retirees they are replacing.

i've been at yrc for a while. they always tell us the only difference between us and non-union workers is the wage, we do the same work.
they say this while looking at 40 pcs of osd out of 200 received, by those people who do what we allegedly do. it takes 1-2 people 2-4 hours daily to deal with the osd, and we eat that cost. most of us produce less than 1% osd, misloaded, not scanned, etc. we are skilled. we want tracking to track, not indicate a lost shipment, or have an irritated customer, because 4 days later when one of those 40 received daily, is finally sent out.
point is, we are going to get what we pay for, and in the cases of some of new hires, we are. they can be pleasent, decent, but they are not of the same caliber as the retirees they are replacing.
So you are saying most of the damage to freight is caused by newer employees, and not by senior employees?

Realteamster no disrespect It is a total different game these days. The younger guys don't care ,they are there for a paycheck ,there is no respect for the company and don't care about the customer. It also makes the dispatch dump the majority of the work on the older guys because we care and come he-- or high water we will get the job done. The problem with that we are getting older and sooner or later the body will break down. So what do you do work yourself to death? A little background I give 110 per cent for the last 35 years it is what I believe but the YRCW corp is teaching me maybe I am the fool to believe this way. Good Luck with what 2014 brings Brothers

how can one have respect for a company that has zero respect for its employees? I would have thought you could do a little better than a 110% for them everyday?

It funny that you make all of these points, my last YRC terminal was for the most part Yellow ran, now Im not going into this arguement, but my point is I had more time on this job than most all of the management including the TM,( when I left that barn I had 24 working years). I would try to nicely inform these folks that their was wasnt going to work, only to be told many time that "they were the boss". Naturally that pissed me off for a short period, but then let them know they were the boss everytime they wanted my input, whether on the slab, on the street or in a meeting. Bottom line I didnt care, and actually when they said I was going to have to move again to remain employed it was a relief, I finally walked, granted not to far but I walked,, going to Holland was a blessing,, I know its the same company but it is ran so different, and they actually listen to a 25 year man and some of his ideas, doesnt mean they will follow and I dont expect them to but they atleast act like they are listening. Thats one thing the Big R did at my first terminal, towards the end they learned to listen to the people who do the work, maybe not all the time but they did listen. In order for YRC to ever make it out of this hole and its highly unlikely they must learn to listen,, but ole boy Welch has more than once told us we are overpaid and uneducated,, but yet this fool cant take 1.7 billion of our cash and pay off a 1.4 billion dollar debt.. And we wonder why there are the attitudes in this place..

I hope you all realize some of my comments are only to instigate a reaction brought on by this company. Your far from being the only one that feels insulted by some of those comments.

Thank you for complimentng my post. I try very hard to tell it like I think it is. You don't know anything about my education; you would likely be shocked if you did know. We are all skilled; we show that every day when we get that mammoth vehicle from Point A to Point Z (with intermediate stops) without killing anyone. As for the management employee, it's been my observation that while some of them are quite good, they are usually NOT the ones who get promoted, and that's a shame. More frequently than not, these people get promoted because they can't handle the job they're in, so they get onto the treadmill. They exit the treadmill when they get thrown out the door. I've seen this happen quite a few times.
Bottom line is this analogy: If the Titanic is sinking, do we stand on the deck and call Capt. Smith an idiot while the ship goes down with us on deck; or do we lock the fool into his stateroom, then get down there and plug that leak? Point to ponder.
Thanks again for the compliment.

I would think most of it is with the newer guys, and disgruntled senoir guys. It does take some skill to not damage freight and be efficient at the same time. Oh my bad, did I say skill?

So you are saying most of the damage to freight is caused by newer employees, and not by senior employees?