Holland | L705 contract meeting outcome as of 8/28/08

Toby

TB Legend
Credits
I heard this from someone who knows someone and to start with this is not a rumor

As of 8/27/2008

Employers submitted their next proposal at the negotiations , with a few additional items that can only be said and classified as negative. It most likely will be posted up open L705 web site in the next few days for all of us to read and review .

L705 CANCELED all meetings until after Labor day , from what I gathered no new dates are set yet .

As their proposals continue to be considered negative the negotiating board seen no reason to continue at this point in negotiations. When asked to enter in Federal Mediation on 8/26/ & 8/27 the Company Reps were unwilling and refused!

So Much for them Barganing in good Faith once again !!

REMEMBER NOW GO OUT AND ASK FOR ONE MORE

Just ask for one more

On this issue we all want this company to grow and succeed , we are all in this together whether it be company officers , sales personnel or the work force.

That being said with the roll out of this new program company officials are encouraging us to drum up new business, but at the same time they choose not to bargain in GOOD FAITH with those who they themselves consider to be the most willing and able to increase the influx of new shipments.

What kind of message are the membership supposed to take from such blantent disregard to the non cooperation stance that the officers negotiating the contract on the companies side and the officers behind such a stance. And then to come out and ask us to go out and get one more this after 20 plus meetings where in all regards the TMI and YRC have told us to eat cake.

Well that in itself is hypocrisy why would anyone in their right mind except the proposals that have been put forth and the latest additions in said proposal as of 08/28/08 and the attitudes and disregard to negotiate in GOOD FAITH and then come out and ask that we the membership go the extra mile.

We are not blind,dumb,and deft we have seen what excepting a sub par and harmful contract in regards to the membership will lead to. We have seen the revolving door change of operation policies enacted , we have seen the layoffs and the institution of replacing valuable experienced members of the Holland team who in all rights wanted to make this company prosper and grow also while maintaining a decent sense of livelihood you can bet they would have been willing to go the extra mile to get one more as we are now being asked to , but many of them are no longer with us and now we are supposed to go and except less than what the national has at the same time drumming up more business that at current levels we cannot even service or choose not to service.

This was addressed today at a terminal within the system by a fellow member when the TM and sales team came out to present this new program , it was addressed in the sense of how can the members honestly get motivated when they are constantly being told to "eat cake" and it was supposedly a heartfelt impassioned response to the general attitude of the membership when confronted with the continued disrespect by the company in regards to the contract negotiations and the direction and stance the TMI and the company has for the membership. It was welcomed and applauded by the members in attendance from what I have gathered , and it was pointed out by said speaker that it is in no disrespect to the officers present and not in disrespect to the over all hope and partnership to grow this company and prosper since it is in all of our best interest to do so , but it was pointed out that how can you expect someone to be motivated and encouraged to go the extra mile when you are constantly being told to "Eat Cake".

Information is key to form a educated opinion , it is up to each individual to stay informed and to educate themselves , the new proposal submitted by the TMI will be up on L705 website take a peek look through it and look through all of the previous proposals from both sides and see WHO is actually BARGANING IN GOOD FAITH and who is not!

And then you might see why this Just Ask For One More program does not bold well with members and most likely does not bold well with those who have seen their fellow brothers loose their livelihood throughout the system.

Back to what I said previously we all want the company to grow and we all want it to prosper , the driving force for Holland since 1927 has always been its employees and we have always taken great pride in the fact that we were always respected. If respect is shown once again, and a sense of cooperation between employees, management, and ownership we would all be able to be back in the position we once were. But when you consistently disrespect those who are the Driving force in this team you will receive like in kind and who really gains from that and who will be the real losers in the LONG RUN?

Common sense says all.

Just my opinion but it's kind of obvious they are dragging this out as long as possible. Why is the question.
I agree with you Toby about their lack of good faith bargaining, but, I'll scout for that extra shipment for them. It's part of my job and good for all of us and those who are on layoff. What good is a contract with no freight or not enough of it? I perform my job as quickly as possible but only as fast as safety allows. I act professional on duty no matter who I'm talking to.
When the 705 tells me to walk, I walk, until then, I do my job as usual and do as i'm asked.

Loon
We all perform our jobs in the utmost professional manner as we should , I also want this company to prosper and grow , I also want to see my fellow brothers return from layoff, and I also continue to go the extra mile with My customers and will continue to do so just as you in a SAFE manner. I wrote this in deference to the audacity that those who do not want to Recognize and Respect those of us who day in and day out provide them with their paycheck and lifestyle , with the professional work and like investment in this venture and with the dedication that we as individuals and as a group perform on a daily basis.

All we ask in return for this kind of dedication is Respect and to share in the fruits of our hard work and dedication , the demands that the locals and the membership have requested are not preposterous , they are fair and they are flexible , they have even been willing to negotiate a contract that could be flexible in the sense of fruition of years , with the changing economic times . If as we are aware the economy is in a slump at the moment why not on both sides of the bargaining table be open to negotiate say a 2 or 3 year contract ? I know that the Union side would be willing court with this , those who follow the trends of economics through out time as the officers of Industry do and the officers of labor realize fully that the economy swings up and down in cycles ranging and differing in years , we just happen to be in a down cycle at the moment and it is not one of the most dramatic on it seems that it is with the hype we get in the media and the new way that manufacturing has shifted over seas , and into lanes not traditionally abundant in industry due to Higher taxes in the original locations. If you have noticed the freight we now move and the freight that other company's move is not the traditional freight that we and they have built reputations on , we are now servicing the service industry more and more with home delivery's and store delivery's were in the past we moved freight that was dedicated to the manufacturing industry , we still do but the shift is in motion and we all are adapting to this just as the whole country is adapting to the shift into a service society from a manufacturing society.

I want to reiterate the Economy moves and swings in cycles and the Unions are willing to adapt and be willing to negotiate in kind , The negotiation comity for L705 have been willing to adapt and to be flexible with the proposals , it is in evidence when you review the proposals put forth so far , just as it is evident that the negotiating committee for the Companies are not and are not negotiating in Good Faith , the reasons for such a stance is a mystery and many theory's have been bantered around ranging from shifting the freight to non union entity's such as YRC LOGISTICS that a good many of us have noticed , to other theories I will not mention.

The main thing that needs to be taken into perspective is that even with the recent down turn in the economy and in the overall volume of freight to be had , is that Holland has been around since the late 1920's and survived through the Great Depression , World War II , the Korean War , the Vietnam War, Gulf War I and II , Repressions , Oil Shortages , Deregulation , and much , much more it was Proper leadership and guidance , dedication and perseverance of the rank and file that enabled us to not only survive but to grow and prosper , it was the Respect shown to the employees by the former officers of this company and by the mutual respect given in turn that made this one of the top ranked company's in the LTL industry to not only work for but to do business with and customers recognized this and became loyal to this company , this is one of the main things lacking any longer , mutual respect which in turn leads to the juncture of were we are at as a whole in this company and with other companies with their officers and with their employees. If YRC was dedicated in moving forward and grow and prosper not only with this company but all the companies under it's umbrella they would do whatever it took to get this contract wrapped up whether it be to be flexible just as the Union is willing to do. It is said that around a third of all freight either originates or is destined to the Chicago land market why would anyone who looks at profits and growth want to miss out on the opportunity to expand and grow this market but intern lets it detract and move to other companies in the market place , some of the most ardent demands by the employers are not what made these companies viable and able to provide the high quality of service that we have always been able to provide , and to regress into a model that for the most part customers complain about is not going to continue the viability and differences that set us apart from the main stream non-union carriers , it is common business sense that if you are going to pay more you will expect more , and the direction that we are witnessing is not the same overall model that has built these and this company and that sets us apart from the crowd , I understand that some flexibility and change does need to evolve to grow with the changing times but if you have noticed as many have a large portion of these companies we now see in the market place modeled themselves after the model we perfected and we continued to perfect over time , how else do you justify the fact that Holland was always the leader in the industry and that customer service , Employee respect and loyalty was always the top factor and not pricing , we have seen this wain recently with the ever evolving way and direction the Officers of this company decide to try and remake the wheel , and move away From what has and have made this company what it is and was.

"We live thick and are in each other's way, and stumble over one another, and I think we thus lose some respect for one another."
Henry David Thoreau