Yellow | "Laid off" dues?

gone

TB Lurker
Credits
So, since March, I have worked pretty much one day a week (Monday) and been laid off till the next Monday. And, working 4 days a month, the union is pretty steady about taking a full month dues from me, and several thousand other members every month.

Now, I am proud to be a Teamster, and I count myself fortunate to enjoy the pay and benefits that this entails. But am I just nitpicking when I fell that I am getting hosed on the dues end of the stick?

A member working 40 hours a week is paying 1.25% of his wages for representation.

I am paying 6.25%.

And yes, on one day a week and unemployment insurance, it DOES make that big a difference. And since I am required to show up on Monday, I can't find another job until the situation gets better.

Testpilot, don't answer the phone, take a withdrawl card, collect full un-employment $430 a week, kick back and relax on the Island.

dont know what local you are at but, at mine we pay .25 and withdraw in good standings until we go back to work.

At our local if you work more than three days per month then you have to pay dues even if you are on a withdrawal card. The other option you have is what Cityman said!!!

How does the formula go?

They are only supposed to take a certain percentage of what you earned during the month. (2.5 something.....).

50 cents

We pay 50 cents for a withdrawl card. Our maximum unenployment is $362 a week. I'm getting less all month long than I was making in one week!

As far as your question goes I think that you are getting screwed.

Here if you work even one day a month, you owe the whole $54 in dues. Why are you being required to work every Monday if you're laid off? Are you signing up every week for only one day of work a week?

Here if you work even one day a month, you owe the whole $54 in dues. Why are you being required to work every Monday if you're laid off? Are you signing up every week for only one day of work a week?

I'm thinking if he take a workcall for monday that he is obligated to work that week if they call him. With mondays always being a busy day from the weekend spike you would think he would a in on tuesday and friday.

Yeah management is playing the game cause its all about numbers to them and damn the individual:Flame-On:. Here they try to work the regulars on O/T. I give them the required ten hrs and I am gone. Ask for my time card and the supervisor asked if i wanted to help out on the dock. Told him no thanks your help is sitting at home waiting for you to call. Goodnight I got a life:guiness:

Yeah withdrawal card due to layoff is the right call in good standings. Your steward should be be proactive and inform you on that. Seems to me that this company is trying to get by with the slimmest of work force they can work. Firing and writing people up for non sense will turn the work force sour and a hostile environment. Yeah I even volunteered for extra assignments and training in the military just to help those guys on the bottom. Time to come to gether or they will break the union and turn it from a union company to a company union.

They are only supposed to take a certain percentage of what you earned during the month. (2.5 something.....).

Union dues are 2.5 X your hourly rate... I think that is what your are asking about. Your union dues are the same no matter how much you make during the month. At least that is the way it goes here.
:smilie_132:

ABF was reporting to unemploment that you were unavailable for work when they called. Some guys had to fight to get their check. I know what the contract says but the government will take away your money in a heart beat.

ABF was reporting to unemploment that you were unavailable for work when they called. Some guys had to fight to get their check. I know what the contract says but the government will take away your money in a heart beat.
The way I undestand it you must be avaible for full time work? But maybe that is just where I come from. The company can always protest the unemployment, making it stick is another matter. I myself went through a company protest and found the state leaned towards the employee.

The way I undestand it you must be avaible for full time work? But maybe that is just where I come from. The company can always protest the unemployment, making it stick is another matter. I myself went through a company protest and found the state leaned towards the employee.

Just sign the forty hour letter....don't call me unless you have forty hours of work... we never had a problem here with it, and they didn't mess with unemployment.
:clap:

you have only yourself to blame for them playing you like a fiddle.1. why would you not take the contractual 14 day return article? 2. you dont have to go back to work if they wont give you 40hrs. 3. you come in every monday so this is why they do it.4. please read your contract, it is written for your best interest. 5.also, there is always life after this place:clap:

If you get laid off and still take a work call...you will be billed for your dues. The IBT Constitution requires that dues be paid when any earnings are made with the employer for that month. If you work in the craft....you pay dues.....KK

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamsters.prometheuslabor.com/files/constitution_June2006.pdf

I think you mean blackmail. What kind of a pos union would take food off a members family's table who takes a day or two of work a month to just add a few extra dollars to his income. While these big tough BAs make over a 100 grand a year and the member gets some unemployment on top of all the givebacks and coming givebacks(a member working 1 day a month pays the same as a member working 60 hours a week, I guess there really is equal protection when it comes to putting money in the "union's" wallet). I think it would be very interesting to call your local news and tell them about the mighty teamsters union and challenge the union scum officials to explain themselves if they're so damn proud of what they've done. Lets see who wants to join this pos if people start to see what being in the union is all about. Don't pi$$ down our backs and tell us its raining.

I think you mean blackmail. What kind of a pos union would take food off a members family's table who takes a day or two of work a month to just add a few extra dollars to his income. While these big tough BAs make over a 100 grand a year and the member gets some unemployment on top of all the givebacks and coming givebacks(a member working 1 day a month pays the same as a member working 60 hours a week, I guess there really is equal protection when it comes to putting money in the "union's" wallet). I think it would be very interesting to call your local news and tell them about the mighty teamsters union and challenge the union scum officials to explain themselves if they're so damn proud of what they've done. Lets see who wants to join this pos if people start to see what being in the union is all about. Don't pi$$ down our backs and tell us its raining.
Do you ever wonder why the IBT has so much trouble organizing? maybe post like these?

Damn Turbo...I did not write the Constitution...I have a fiduciary duty and a sworn oath to abide by the IBT Constitution! If a laid off member were to work a few days a month and DID NOT pay dues....the member who was not laid off next to you would be raising pure hell.

The only way to get that changed in the constitution is at the next IBT Convention in 2011. Funny thing though....things like 2 tier pay scales....working casual....etc...etc....don't mean anything to a member until it effects him....how come this has never been challenged before at a Convention??....BECAUSE, EVERYONE was working at the last one in 2006!!....KK

If you get laid off and still take a work call...you will be billed for your dues. The IBT Constitution requires that dues be paid when any earnings are made with the employer for that month. If you work in the craft....you pay dues.....KK

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamsters.prometheuslabor.com/files/constitution_June2006.pdf

That is the only good thing about living in a right to work state, you can show your disgust and failure of our union by not paying your dues.Some times that is what it takes to get their attention and let them know who pays their salary.