Yellow | "Laid off" dues?

Damn Turbo...I did not write the Constitution...I have a fiduciary duty and a sworn oath to abide by the IBT Constitution! If a laid off member were to work a few days a month and DID NOT pay dues....the member who was not laid off next to you would be raising pure hell.

The only way to get that changed in the constitution is at the next IBT Convention in 2011. Funny thing though....things like 2 tier pay scales....working casual....etc...etc....don't mean anything to a member until it effects him....how come this has never been challenged before at a Convention??....BECAUSE, EVERYONE was working at the last one in 2006!!....KK

Not directed at you but at the pos union that has set up all the rules to make sure that they keep lining their pockets at the members expense. There really shouldn't have to be a convention to do whats right, let alone wait 3 years to do it. These scumbellies work for us, not the other way around. The union has become just another entity for us to fight against for our, our rights! Never understood that 2 tier or casual pay screw either. Isn't the whole idea of a union is equal pay for equal work.

Why not change the constitution? They sure have no problem with changing the contract. Jimi nobody is blaming you we understand your position, but Turbo has a valid point.

I think you mean blackmail. What kind of a pos union would take food off a members family's table who takes a day or two of work a month to just add a few extra dollars to his income. While these big tough BAs make over a 100 grand a year and the member gets some unemployment on top of all the givebacks and coming givebacks(a member working 1 day a month pays the same as a member working 60 hours a week, I guess there really is equal protection when it comes to putting money in the "union's" wallet). I think it would be very interesting to call your local news and tell them about the mighty teamsters union and challenge the union scum officials to explain themselves if they're so damn proud of what they've done. Lets see who wants to join this pos if people start to see what being in the union is all about. Don't pi$$ down our backs and tell us its raining.

I know the dues situation might seem a little unfair but consider this: If you buy a life insurance policy and pay your premium once a month, do you get pissed off if you pay one month and then didn't die that month?? :biglaugh:

Maybe if you looked at the dues as a type of insurance so to speak, you might not be so negative about them.

Why not change the constitution? They sure have no problem with changing the contract. Jimi nobody is blaming you we understand your position, but Turbo has a valid point.

Thanks....BUT...."Funny thing though....things like 2 tier pay scales....working casual....etc...etc....don't mean anything to a member until it effects him....how come this has never been challenged before at a Convention??"

I have been against the casual article in our conmtract for going on 23 years now....but nobody wants to take it on...."BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO ME".....well hell it does now!....KK

Thanks....BUT...."Funny thing though....things like 2 tier pay scales....working casual....etc...etc....don't mean anything to a member until it effects him....how come this has never been challenged before at a Convention??"

I have been against the casual article in our conmtract for going on 23 years now....but nobody wants to take it on...."BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO ME".....well hell it does now!....KK

You are absoutly right. 95% of the guys could care less about anything until it affects them. I see more and more of this everyday. This is a big part of the reason why freight Teamsters are in the mess there in. Not to mention the amount of guys who are clueless and do not take the time to research contract proposals and such, and them complain about the contract. This whole thing is turning into a bad dream.

you have only yourself to blame for them playing you like a fiddle.1. why would you not take the contractual 14 day return article? 2. you dont have to go back to work if they wont give you 40hrs. 3. you come in every monday so this is why they do it.4. please read your contract, it is written for your best interest. 5.also, there is always life after this place:clap:

Loads of fail here.

Where to start. I guess the first problem is every conference has it's own rules. Where I am, I have two choices, come to work when I'm told or get fired for not showing up for work. There is no 40 hr guarantee.

Past that, I'm not wasting time on you.

Seems that there could be some manner of hourly dues billing. If you can't get a full week in, you don't pay as much. If you do 70 hours+ a week, well, we'll hear those guys chime in soon enough.

Damn Turbo...I did not write the Constitution...I have a fiduciary duty and a sworn oath to abide by the IBT Constitution! If a laid off member were to work a few days a month and DID NOT pay dues....the member who was not laid off next to you would be raising pure hell.

The only way to get that changed in the constitution is at the next IBT Convention in 2011. Funny thing though....things like 2 tier pay scales....working casual....etc...etc....don't mean anything to a member until it effects him....how come this has never been challenged before at a Convention??....BECAUSE, EVERYONE was working at the last one in 2006!!....KK

Uh, are these conventions as "fair" as the elections?

To those who are there and invoved in them?.....Yes.....KK

Sorry, wrong answer.

I was confronted by BOTH parties in a 2 way election for a union office on why I did not vote. Now, this is a supposedly secret vote.

And on why I didn't vote for that office (I did vote for others in that election), I didn't think either of the candidates deserved the office.

Does the strike in 94 not come to mind as you discuss this issue? I remember a slogan something like( part time wont work )or something like that. I was full time at CF then. So I think the members did think it was important to them.