ABF | Last Sterling Made For A B F.

mattjm

1941-2014
Rest In Peace
Credits
Last truck rolls off the line at Sterling Truck

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

More than a quarter-million trucks rolled off the line during the 11-year history of Sterling Truck, St. Thomas.

But this one, bearing a Canadian flag taped to the windshield, is the last.

Wednesday that truck, number 257,330, rolled off the line bringing an end to production at the South Edgeware Road facility.

Workers placed their hands on the vehicle and had pictures taken with a truck that marks the end of 17 years of truck construction here in St. Thomas.

"Now they ......

FREIGHT TEAMSTERS: Last truck rolls off the line at Sterling Truck

You agree not to post any copyrighted materials, post a paragraph to the story then the link to it, the author and website deserve all credit for their content.

Sterling Production

As I remember the 1999 Sterlings ABF bought were the first to be built at the Canadian plant after Freightliner bought out Ford heavy trucks. This model replaced the Ford Louisville line. Ford built this model at the Louisville plant for a short time. Freightliner moved production to Canada & rebranded the Ford with the Sterling brand.

2010 Equipment Order

I don't know what will be bought next year. As stated earlier there will be 175 Macks & 175 Sterlings this year.
I would think that several manufacturers would like to make a sale with the truck market slow. I know that Kenworth got very close on bids more than once with Cummins engines. Freightliner is building trucks in Mexico now as is Western Star.
It will be interesting to see which maufacturer can sharpen their pencil enough to make a sale. The 2010 model year will cost $10,000 more per unit because of the emission equipment. Most manufacturers will be using SCR. I think that International still claims that they can meet the standards without it. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes down.

And what is wrong with Macks? :smilie_132:

The proper question is.....

What is RIGHT with the Macks?

This is a much shorter list.

Head lights.....thats it.

Whats wrong?
The totally ignorant wiper/washer switch.
The heated mirrors that go off in 3 mins.
Poorly designed dash.
Nice bright blue lights on the dashboard
Legroom sucks.
The steering goes in every direction on slippery roads.
If when regeneration is needed is not done immediately, will put the truck out of service, regardless of where you are.
Windshield wipers only clean 65 percent of the windshield on the drivers side.
The coat hook sucks.
Not enough room between the drivers door and seat, so you bang your knee on the window handle all day.

The Sterlings are Cadillacs compared to the manufactured junk Mack is producing. I would be embarrased if I was Mack, offering this product for sale.

The proper question is.....

What is RIGHT with the Macks?

This is a much shorter list.

Head lights.....thats it.

Whats wrong?
The totally ignorant wiper/washer switch.
The heated mirrors that go off in 3 mins.
Poorly designed dash.
Nice bright blue lights on the dashboard
Legroom sucks.
The steering goes in every direction on slippery roads.
If when regeneration is needed is not done immediately, will put the truck out of service, regardless of where you are.
Windshield wipers only clean 65 percent of the windshield on the drivers side.
The coat hook sucks.
Not enough room between the drivers door and seat, so you bang your knee on the window handle all day.

The Sterlings are Cadillacs compared to the manufactured junk Mack is producing. I would be embarrased if I was Mack, offering this product for sale.

You should send this to Mack.It reminds me of the old U model Mack's.

I am 5' 10" and dont have a problem with the Macks I thought they were pretty nice trucks. I like the way the regenaration is set up it forces the guy driving it to do it instead of leaving it for the next driver.

I am 5' 10" and dont have a problem with the Macks I thought they were pretty nice trucks. I like the way the regenaration is set up it forces the guy driving it to do it instead of leaving it for the next driver.

Yes but how tall are you?? :joke: :biglaugh:

TRUCK ENGINE EMISSIONS UPDATE: THE ROAD TO '07

Read this...some engines have a wet (urea) system and some have a dry (multi stage exhaust muffler ) way to scrub out the emissions to get the to the new govt levels.

Thanks, so it's part of the new emmisions.
The below quote threw me, must be an inside joke.

I wonder what kind of junk we will be buying now. All Macks???

God I hope not. I cannot stand the backwards engineering.

Mirror heaters that shut off in 5 mins, the combo washer/wiper switch, sardine can comfort. I used to enjoy a Mack. Now I wouldn't give you a buck for a hundred of them. ARGHHH.