Holland | Layed Off Road Drivers

Grumpy

TB Lurker
Credits
Any one receive a certified letter from terminal saying you had to contact them every Friday if you were going to work the following week, and if you said you would work you were obligated for the entire week whether you get to work or not? Quoted under article 43

Any one receive a certified letter from terminal saying you had to contact them every Friday if you were going to work the following week, and if you said you would work you were obligated for the entire week whether you get to work or not? Quoted under article 43

They've been using that form letter here in LO for a while now. Some just sign it and hope to work others write their own letter stating that they want to work any work available, L/Haul, Dock or City or just one or two, City/Dock or L/Haul only. Its your choice as to what you want to do. If you merely state I'm available for work the following week and don't answer the phone until the next Wednesday and choose to work, then you are obligated the rest of that week. If you don't answer the phone they just go around you but they can't do anything to you because they are the ones that laid you off. They tell them that they have to change their choice on Friday's only for the following week but if there is no change then they don't have to do anything. You are not obligated until you take a call for work, if you don't want to work then don't answer the phone, its simple. If you work Monday then you are obligated all week. Thats how it works here any way, hope that answers your question a little.

The letter is their own wording of the contract not just straight from the book so we can make our own wording too. Its just another angle they try to get around the book.

If none of the laid-off drivers worked (city,dock,or road) they would call back sooner. I know I know easier said than done

If none of the laid-off drivers worked (city,dock,or road) they would call back sooner. I know I know easier said than done

I agree, trouble is as long as the people that aren't laid off volunteer to work 60 hours a week, the company doesn't loose anything by laying off people. Now, if we could get everybody thats still working to go home on their 8, if not forced 10, it might be different. They wouldn't be able to get their loads out and would have to bring people back sooner. I hope it happens but I won't be placing any bets on it.

It is easier said than done. I was laidoff in 05, 06, and 07, I refused to work until I was called back. I dont know if it made a difference, probably not. But the way I see it, sc**w them, if there is no work to keep me on, then there should not be enough to make me babysit the phone.

It is easier said than done. I was laidoff in 05, 06, and 07, I refused to work until I was called back. I dont know if it made a difference, probably not. But the way I see it, sc**w them, if there is no work to keep me on, then there should not be enough to make me babysit the phone.

Laid-off before this new contract???? ARE you sure?

ok

ok I just thought all the lay-offs started after the horrific contract. At least that is what a person would think after reading all the negative post about it.

I was laid off in my second year at Holland and I have been here 11 years as of last march. While I was laid off the first week I worked 55 hrs in the city and 3,200 miles on the road the next week,go figure.
When yrcw gets done with the UE deal up north then some linehaul will be brought back as was done down south.
We could go on and on with this subject of the UE but it won't change a thing and just cause a lot of hate and discontent among the members.Let this be a lesson to all and file this away in your memory bank come election time for our union officals.

The contract says If you work one day you are obligated for week in local cartage, also may vary on any operation agreements with certain locals

I was laid off in my second year at Holland and I have been here 11 years as of last march. While I was laid off the first week I worked 55 hrs in the city and 3,200 miles on the road the next week,go figure.
When yrcw gets done with the UE deal up north then some linehaul will be brought back as was done down south.
We could go on and on with this subject of the UE but it won't change a thing and just cause a lot of hate and discontent among the members.Let this be a lesson to all and file this away in your memory bank come election time for our union officals.

Nicely said.

The contract says If you work one day you are obligated for week in local cartage, also may vary on any operation agreements with certain locals

Deerslayer, very good info. I'd like to add a little more to your post if you don't mind.

If you don't answer the phone, for a work call, until Wednesday then you're only obligated for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday that week. It just depends on what day you start your work week.

You can be on the call list without answering a work call during the week too. Remember, they laid you off you didn't ask to be laid off. This way its your choice if you work or you're taking it easy all week.

I was saying the way the letter is written if you don't tell them on the Friday before, That you don't want to be called, that you are saying you do want to work and you are obligated for the whole week no matter what, and I know this is not correct. I was wondering if any other terminals were sending this letter out???

Most of our guys are signing letters at the hall for a guaranteed 40 hours. Management is not happy with them doing this; they are in fear of extra freight coming in with no one available to pick it up.

Most of our guys are signing letters at the hall for a guaranteed 40 hours. Management is not happy with them doing this; they are in fear of extra freight coming in with no one available to pick it up.

Stimpy, Can you explain what you mean signing letters??

The letter is for the driver to have a life. What it is for, if the company can not guarantee the driver forty hours, then the company will not call him. The driver is still eligible for unemployment benefits. What this letter will do if enough drivers file one is cause the company to commit to a forty-hour week for the driver. Like I said it lets the driver to have a life.

The letter is for the driver to have a life. What it is for, if the company can not guarantee the driver forty hours, then the company will not call him. The driver is still eligible for unemployment benefits. What this letter will do if enough drivers file one is cause the company to commit to a forty-hour week for the driver. Like I said it lets the driver to have a life.
I appreciate the clarification:1036316054:

The main point is that you don't have to sign the companies letter to be able to work. This letter is written to the companies advantage, not ours. You can put your work request in your own letter and sign it. By doing this you can work or stay home and they have to call you every day before they can work someone junior to you, period. If you don't want to work, don't answer the phone. But, once you work a day you are obligated for the rest of that week. Our guys just want to work and make money to support their families, the company just wants to make them quit so they can hire 14.00 casuals. Its really simple, in my opinion, it just depends on when the economy picks back up. When the economy picks back up the company will have no choice but to work everybody or loose money and business to other companies. Sad thing is, I'm afraid some will give up right before things get going again and it will be to late for them to change their minds.

P.S. They've been using this type letter in LO for at least a year, maybe two.

Thats very interesting Benny. I think we could use somenthing like that up here.
when I get my Internet back I will pm you. (doing this on the phone stinks)