XPO | Lean Six Sigma

Forklifts will not be modified. All purchased equipment must remain with factory specs. It's a liability thing.

Lean Six Sigma is actually the combination of two business methodologies. Lean being the reduction of the cost of your production and the Six Sigma being the production of a perfect product, or in our industry, giving the customer a service that they will use instead of your competitor's. By combining these two methods we will hope to decrease costs (increase profits) and create customer demand for our product by addressing their main concerns... on-time performance, damage free goods, and error free processes.

In reducing the cost of propane by limiting idle time you have addressed the "Lean" aspect of this project. We also need some ideas in identifying the causes of our failures to produce a product that is 100% complete in the eyes of the customer. Correcting these failures will increase customer demand, thus producing profits and job security.

So the trucks are purchased with two minute idle timers? Seems to me there used to be five minute idle timers. Therefore the older trucks have been modified. There are weigh scales on many of the forklifts...another modification. How about the long forks on some forklifts placed there by Con-Way for handling longer pallets?...yet another modification.

The liability factor you mention regards the specifications originally produced by the manufacturer. This is a standard practice. Any modification (supposedly) absolves the manufacturer(s) from any liability caused by said modification...in other words... legal speak. Ownership has its rights. As long as it doesn't violate any law the modification is legal.

Rat :loser:

So the trucks are purchased with two minute idle timers? Seems to me there used to be five minute idle timers. Therefore the older trucks have been modified. There are weigh scales on many of the forklifts...another modification. How about the long forks on some forklifts placed there by Con-Way for handling longer pallets?...yet another modification.

The liability factor you mention regards the specifications originally produced by the manufacturer. This is a standard practice. Any modification (supposedly) absolves the manufacturers(s) from any liability caused by said modification...in other words... legal speak. Ownership has its rights. As long as it doesn't violate any law the modification is legal.

Tractors have not been modified. The computers were adjusted to a 2 minute idle cycle.

The certification plate mounted on every forklift reflects the mathematical formula for establishing the safe operation of the unit based on the center of gravity of the load lifted. Changing the fork length changes this formula. By requiring all plates remaining on all forklifts and not being painted over, the operator is still responsible for the safe operation of said unit. Ditto on the scale units. Modifying the safety systems of the units is different. The brakes, fuel, and electrical systems won't be modified.

what i have figured out with this new plan, is that they pass the buck back and forth. nothing new here. someone else is the blame for the screw up. fos's dont have to do to much supervision now, just pass the buck.

this isn't like ramen noodles (just add water and wait a minute to satisfy your hunger), it will be a long process with accomplishments coming in stages.

Cars are not forkilifts....stop comparing the two. Forklifts are industrial trucks...designed and maintained as such. They are designed for heavy duty cycle usage.

FYI propane fueled vehicles are pressure primed. If properly maintained there is no exessive fuel usage for starting as opposed to a liquid fueled vehicle. Your argument is ridiculous and just so much stirring of the pot!

All season testing is not required. The savings are obvious...you are going to have tough time ahead under the LSS program.

:hide: I think I sense a future black belt! If so, big results are sure to happen.:smilie_132:

Well...here is an idea!

Suppose we start refusing freight from shippers that do not properly package their shipments.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I have handled freight so poorly packaged that it needed recouped before it ever left for linehaul. The stuff falls apart just being on the P&D wagon...would never make it the LH/FAC operation.

Example...

We have one customer which manufactures a highend product. We haul most of their LTL freight. They recently had a potential customer of theirs in to view their product. The potential customer liked what they saw and said Okee Dokee...

So said shipper tells the servicing DSR they are going to ship these products to a photographer for a catalog shoot. The product must be delivered on a lift gate trailer as it is going to the studio. Keep in mind we are talking three to ten thousand dollars a pop for these products...very high end (not electronics BTW).

Stay with me my story gets better...

What we are talking here is show quality material...the potential for the shipper is 4.2 million dollar account. This is nothing to sneeze at.

How does the shipper package the product?

Cardboard!!! Freaking Cardboard!!! No crates...no foam packaging...absolutely no additional protection at all!

Just cardboard and nylon banding. Telling the DSR there would be adjudication from God if anything happened to this product.

The product was delivered in perfect condition...but the potential claim amounted to approx. $25,000 in total. Perhaps it should have went logistics on a dedicated truck...seems reasonable to me. They do receive a substantial discount and most likely this is the reason we hauled it.

Con-Way has been harping about claims forever. I think we set ourselves up for the fall in many cases. I have told shippers their freight isn't going to make it...all I get in return is a glazed over look.

Let the :flame: begin...

Rat :popcorn:
:hide: We have been told from the get go that it is our right and obligation as a DSR to refuse freight that was a claim looking for a place to happen.
Although this sounds like a valuable account, it may be one of the ones we should pass on unless properly packaged. Someone else will haul it, tear it up, then maybe the shipper will understand. A light bulb may light up in his head, remembering that a Conway DSR would not haul it for fear of damage. It's possible, and quite probable that we would then secure the freight once it is properly packaged.
One of my pet peeves is the thin layer of stretch wrap that protects about 98% of palletized bag shipments. The slightest scrape on nearly any thing and a bag is torn. A layer of cardboard under the wrap would work wonders.
Someone stated on this thread that it is all about common sense. So many shippers package their freight as if their's was the only shipment Conway will handle that day.:smilie_132:

Cars are not forkilifts....stop comparing the two. Forklifts are industrial trucks...designed and maintained as such. They are designed for heavy duty cycle usage.

FYI propane fueled vehicles are pressure primed. If properly maintained there is no exessive fuel usage for starting as opposed to a liquid fueled vehicle. Your argument is ridiculous and just so much stirring of the pot!

All season testing is not required. The savings are obvious...you are going to have tough time ahead under the LSS program.

:hide: Please!!!! Attack the post, not the poster. Just because you disagree with what has been posted, does not give you the right to attack the poster, and assume the poster will have a hard time because he disagrees with your point of view.:smilie_132:

Or we can go back to the "management chain" who keeps making excuses for their failures and wants to blame everyone but themselves. Lets hope and pray the LSS will fix this problem, because my "management chain" isn't willing to.

Isn't willing, or doesn't have control of the root cause..??

Tractors have not been modified. The computers were adjusted to a 2 minute idle cycle.

The certification plate mounted on every forklift reflects the mathematical formula for establishing the safe operation of the unit based on the center of gravity of the load lifted. Changing the fork length changes this formula. By requiring all plates remaining on all forklifts and not being painted over, the operator is still responsible for the safe operation of said unit. Ditto on the scale units. Modifying the safety systems of the units is different. The brakes, fuel, and electrical systems won't be modified.

Ok...lets split some hairs here!

Any adjustment from factory specs is a modification. The electirical systems on the forklifts were modified by the addition of the scales. The nomenclature on the lift is mandated by OSHA (IIRC) and the absence of same takes it out of service.

An idle timer or seat kill switch is not a modification of the safety systems implemented by the manufacturer. It is indeed a modification (or more precisely) an addition to the lift. There are already seat switches in place on the newer lifts which isolate the hydraulics. I would not be surprised to see a mandate from OSHA in the future requiring (and perhaps retro-fitting existing lifts with seat kill switches) just such a safety feature.

At any rate the elimination of excessive idling would help the cause...and now more than ever we need to do whatever is necessary to reign in any unnecessary expenditures for all our futures.

Ok...lets split some hairs here!

Any adjustment from factory specs is a modification. The electirical systems on the forklifts were modified by the addition of the scales. The nomenclature on the lift is mandated by OSHA (IIRC) and the absence of same takes it out of service.

An idle timer or seat kill switch is not a modification of the safety systems implemented by the manufacturer. It is indeed a modification (or more precisely) an addition to the lift. There are already seat switches in place on the newer lifts which isolate the hydraulics. I would not be surprised to see a mandate from OSHA in the future requiring (and perhaps retro-fitting existing lifts with seat kill switches) just such a safety feature.

At any rate the elimination of excessive idling would help the cause...and now more than ever we need to do whatever is necessary to reign in any unnecessary expenditures for all our futures.

Rat,
You are correct a scale is a modification by definition, but it was agreed on by Toyota and Cat and the lifts with scales should have a new data tag that shows a scale attachment. I totally agree with you about the idling, but there is not a easy way of controlling that on forklifts besides FOS's enforcing it.

Rat,
You are correct a scale is a modification by definition, but it was agreed on by Toyota and Cat and the lifts with scales should have a new data tag that shows a scale attachment. I totally agree with you about the idling, but there is not a easy way of controlling that on forklifts besides FOS's enforcing it.

Thanks...I didn't know that!

I kinda doubt the FOSs are going to enforce the idling thing. Their main concern is moving freight whatever it takes...and I don't blame them. I would do the same if I were in their shoes. But this is just more argument for controls outside the scope of their responsibility.

If the idling was controlled electronically...then it would be something everyone would just have to live with...kinda like the 62 mph thing.

Thanks...I didn't know that!

I kinda doubt the FOSs are going to enforce the idling thing. Their main concern is moving freight whatever it takes...and I don't blame them. I would do the same if I were in their shoes. But this is just more argument for controls outside the scope of their responsibility.

If the idling was controlled electronically...then it would be something everyone would just have to live with...kinda like the 62 mph thing.

a majority of our forklifts are not electronic controlled engines, so I just dont think it is going to be that simple, would be nice if it was though.

a majority of our forklifts are not electronic controlled engines, so I just dont think it is going to be that simple, would be nice if it was though.

I am sure you are right...but like the old saying goes...where there is a will there is a way.

And besides this was just a suggestion...I know many people (including myself) fear changes from what they are used to.

I was just bringing to the forefront some possible ideas of what we may do as a company to facilitate any cost cutting measures. Hell...it wasn't even my revelation as to the amount of potential excess propane we may be using. But it does sound like may have some merit.

I am sure you are right...but like the old saying goes...where there is a will there is a way.

And besides this was just a suggestion...I know many people (including myself) fear changes from what they are used to.

I was just bringing to the forefront some possible ideas of what we may do as a company to facilitate any cost cutting measures. Hell...it wasn't even my revelation as to the amount of potential excess propane we may be using. But it does sound like may have some merit.

Thanks for the welcome, and I totally agree with you it would save a lot of money. I really beleive the Lean six sigma program will save us a lot of money in the end. It is just going to take a open mind. I am with you change scares the hell out of me, but change we must if we are going to survive this storm!

while i agree with the principles and concepts involved in the lean six sigma methodology, i cannot but laugh at its implementation as "the next big thing" to save this company money. are we really that far out in left field that we have to call managers managing the business on a daily basis some new buzz word or catch-phrase? this whole lean six sigma is nothing more than managers managing effectively and workers working efficiently, plain and simple.

maybe im a little too old school or just grumpy in my old age but cost savings comes down to being everyones job, from the top down. if the company actually promoted input from the rank and file this whole lean six sigma thing would be a moot point. while implementing the black, green, pink,polka dot or whatever color they are belts may sem like a new gee whiz idea, its nothing more than telling the people who work in the trenches they dont know squat about the job or enviroment they work in 40+ hours a week.

im a firm beliviever in the phrase" the oportunity to criticize creates the obligation to participate" so ill throw my 2 cents in. if this company wanted to really become lean they would attack cost savings in 2 ways. first....1 time a month employees would be "asked" to submit 1 cost saving idea. this would be mandatory, were creeping close to 10 percent unemployment so if people dont want to do it im sure someone else would. now some of the ideas will be hairbrained or not well thought out, thats a given, but im damn sure there will be more than a few that have a good deal of merit to them.
secondly, reward any idea thats put into effect and actually saves money..for arguements sake lets say 1 percent of the total savings of an idea goes to the origional author.

there are many many many intelligent people that work for this company, instead of searching for exterior programs to make us strong how about we tap into the enormous reserve of talent that works for us instead of paying for some "gee whiz" program that just makes us all scratch our heads in confusion.

Isn't willing, or doesn't have control of the root cause..??
I'm going to stick with not willing. Unless you consider inexperience and unwillingness to listen to experienced (most are 15+ years) dock hands as root cause. The inexperience would be from FOS's and FOM not SCM or ASCM.

while i agree with the principles and concepts involved in the lean six sigma methodology, i cannot but laugh at its implementation as "the next big thing" to save this company money. are we really that far out in left field that we have to call managers managing the business on a daily basis some new buzz word or catch-phrase? this whole lean six sigma is nothing more than managers managing effectively and workers working efficiently, plain and simple.

maybe im a little too old school or just grumpy in my old age but cost savings comes down to being everyones job, from the top down. if the company actually promoted input from the rank and file this whole lean six sigma thing would be a moot point. while implementing the black, green, pink,polka dot or whatever color they are belts may sem like a new gee whiz idea, its nothing more than telling the people who work in the trenches they dont know squat about the job or enviroment they work in 40+ hours a week.

im a firm beliviever in the phrase" the oportunity to criticize creates the obligation to participate" so ill throw my 2 cents in. if this company wanted to really become lean they would attack cost savings in 2 ways. first....1 time a month employees would be "asked" to submit 1 cost saving idea. this would be mandatory, were creeping close to 10 percent unemployment so if people dont want to do it im sure someone else would. now some of the ideas will be hairbrained or not well thought out, thats a given, but im damn sure there will be more than a few that have a good deal of merit to them.
secondly, reward any idea thats put into effect and actually saves money..for arguements sake lets say 1 percent of the total savings of an idea goes to the origional author.

there are many many many intelligent people that work for this company, instead of searching for exterior programs to make us strong how about we tap into the enormous reserve of talent that works for us instead of paying for some "gee whiz" program that just makes us all scratch our heads in confusion.
Okay, here's my March cost-saving suggestion. Lets get rid of almost all of our fork-lifts and invest in the "Forearm Forklift" As Seen on TV. Just think of all of the money we'll save on propane costs. And I'm sure there's got to be a way we could hook-up some sort of mechanical scale to the "Forearm Forklift" As Seen on TV, to keep the re-weigh program going. Just go ahead and pay me my 1 percent now.

Back To The Topic!

:hide: This thread was started with all good intentions. I, for one am guilty as sin of arguing over points. Lets just drop our arguing and post our ideas for the Lean6 program.
If we all share our ideas, when the time comes, we can all write down the good ones on the appropriate form. If enough of us write the same cost cutting measures, the big wigs may listen and act.
We all want to see Con-Way Freight survive and thrive!
I will be the next one to post a Lean6 idea.
Read the next post.
Remember: no argument, no matter how much I disagree with forklift seat kill switches, lets put our brains in gear and give upper management some REAL cost saving ideas!:smilie_132:

:hide: My idea: Do something with pallets and busted up plywood besides paying some company to haul them to the landfill.
At my barn, probably 80% of the dumpster is filled with wood.
There is a local company that would provide a free dumpster if we would place only wood in it.
Why do we pay to have it hauled away?:smilie_132: