Averitt | Lessons I learned in LTL..

Iceman

Company Man
Credits
I learned these few simple principles about 24 years ago when I started working in the LTL freight business, I hope it helps someone as they read this.1) When I was a dockworker, some nights I would have loads that required me touching and counting 1,000's of pounds of freight, but then the other nights I would never get off the forklift, remembering those gravy nights made the harder ones easy.2)When I was promoted to yard switcher, many nights I worked in the rain all night, but the clear cool nights out weighed the bad ones, I chose to remember the clear nights.3) Once promoted to City P&D I can remember backing and jacking all throughout the narrow streets of Knoxville pulling a 53' trailer, dealing with the millions of tourist in Gatlinburg as I was trying to deliver goods, sometimes having to two wheel freight for several blocks just to make the delivery. But the majority of the time I was simply bumping docks and chatting with the receivers as they unloaded their freight, those good days outweighed the bad.4) When I finally reached my goal of Shuttle Driver I can remember heavy Chicago and Atlanta traffic, frozen road conditions and having to wait for hours on my trailer to be loaded, but then so many more nights the hours flew by, the mile markers came and went quicker than ever and my night was gravy, I chose to dwell on those easy nights. Bottom line, this job has it's up's and down's, but it is how we chose to focus our thoughts, do we dwell on the bad times or glory in the good times that are far more plentiful than the bad ones?

It got off topic and into customer bashing and that won't be tolerated, if someone hates their job that's one thing but to bash a customer for whatever reason, ain't gonna happen, they feed my family and I'm unemployed without them.

True, I was bashing your work ethic and accused you of poor driving skills, but after THF respectfully rebuked me, to which I can appreciate, I rephrased my comment. But after more thought I decided to delete the post all together. It was a positive post meant to encourage the readers about a customer that loves our excellent service, but quickly turned and went south. So I will say this to you 1tt1, I did a knee jerk reply and insinuated that you lacked backing skills and couldn't handle the pressure of mall maneuvering, and that was wrong and I apologize.

Been down all the roads that CM has.

I had a beach run in the city once. It was tough sweating in the hot sun, 2-wheeling load after load inside a surf shop while at the same time having to endure the endless parade of bikinis.

And let me state for clarification without mentioning the account in question. These strip malls are not the modern well built plenty of room for trucks malls we are accustomed to but many are very old (40-60) year old malls in low rent areas that were not built for 53' trailers hooked up to sleepers...

And let me state for clarification without mentioning the account in question. These strip malls are not the modern well built plenty of room for trucks malls we are accustomed to but many are very old (40-60) year old malls in low rent areas that were not built for 53' trailers hooked up to sleepers...

Wish I was around for this conversation....1tt1..are speaking about a customer from TX that has 4 drops,usually takes ALL day, includes manuavering around mindless idiots(shoppers and delivery drivers) often while blind siding into the customer and just barely missing dumpsters. For the most part ALL of their stores are in old strip malls. Destin ,Tallahassee,Hollywood,PonteVerdra,Boca Raton come to mind.