Yellow | Lest We Forget!

Union Veterans!

All Gave Some, Some Gave All.

James Gilbert, Director, Union Veterans Council
Today at 11:57 AM

To

We all know that Memorial Day is the holiday which as a country we take time to pause in order to honor those military service members who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. These fallen brothers and sisters, generations of men and women from the very founding of this country are the very embodiment of honor, valor, and loyalty. For me and many veterans, this holiday holds a special place in our hearts.

My family is not unlike many of yours- Military service is a family tradition. My Grandfather fought in the Pacific in WWII, my Father in Vietnam and I proudly followed in their footsteps and served in the United States Navy during Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). The three of us came home from overseas military service to start careers, families and our own pursuit of the American Dream. That is not the case for all who have served.

In 2012, a member of our family was killed in action in Afghanistan. Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Sean Brazas, of Greensboro, N.C., died May 30 while conducting combat operations in Panjwa’l, Afghanistan. Sean, who was a K9 handler, was killed by a sniper while helping a fellow serviceman into a helicopter. Sean was 26 years old, had a wife and young daughter. I began to ask some really hard questions- What if it was my mother grieving graveside that sunny day at Arlington National Cemetary? What if it was my father accepting that neatly folded flag from the funeral detail? What must that little 13 month old girl think as they play Taps and she sees her mother cry for a husband and a father who is not coming home? Many veterans will ask themselves questions like this and many families have felt the twisting emotions of pride and sorrow.

On this Memorial Day like millions of Americans, I will eat a hot dog, drink a cold beer and spend time with my family and friends. I will also visit Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery, which is the burial ground for military personnel killed in the Global War on Terror. I will make a special stop to say “Welcome Home” and “Thank you” to Sean and my generational brothers and sisters who selflessly sacrificed for all of us. So this Memorial Day, I urge you to take a moment to remember those brave men and women and the equally brave families they have left behind. This is their day.

The Affiliates and Trade Departments of the AFL-CIO’s Union Veterans Council wish you and your family the best this Memorial Day as we honor the service and sacrifice of America’s heroes.

In Solidarity,

James Gilbert

Director, Union Veterans Council

Outstanding job Freightmaster1, a time to really reflect to those of us that served and gave the ultimate price for our freedom and liberties. "Just think we are a nation that our armed forces for the most part volunteers. That says alot about the character of our country, where most countries people don't have a choice to choose to serve. Here in the United States of America we have a choice to do so and we continue to do so. I salute you all my brothers and sisters in arms:usa2: