Life's Hard We Made It That Way

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
"Life's hard we made it that way"- In the heat of the night TV 1988-1994 NBC/CBS Fred Silverman Company

There was a show on TV a cop show called In the Heat of the Night I personally thought it was fairly well done as far as cop TV shows. I don't watch to much TV anymore now a days it doesn't interest me.

Howe
ver this show was one I would watch in my previous life before trucking and I've seen quite a few not all but probably the majority of the episodes and in one episode in particular I forget the situation that was going on, but I remember a female character standing there in the police station in the fictional town of Sparta, Mississippi saying to chief Gillespie "Life's hard we made it that way." That quote always stuck with me so simple and so obvious, yet so powerful and true.

Pretty soon I have to go to sleep, but tomorrow is another fun filled day at work and I'll tell you right now, switching jobs can be good and it can be bad. I'm glad I made the switch to GFS, but this learning curve and unknown stuff sucks sucks sucks certainly at a low point right now. I have some anxiety mostly fear of the unknown stuff.

I mean I could have stayed at Coors I had a route (a kind of crappy one not great but not the worst either, but I had it down management was off my back and I could have certainly kept trudging on.) However GFS is better money, better benefits better all experience which I need. However none of that makes it fun. Right now I'm at a tough part of the battle I know it and management knows it, the only saving grace is I've lived all this before at Coors. Doesn't make it totally easy, but at least I've lived all this before and it's been hard, but so is life however 10 months from now it probably won't be so hard. Once you get a regular route and routine it's amazing how much easier things get and month after month of doing it, it gets even easier. The next low point and it's coming will be next week when they cut me lose then it's over now I'm at that point just a person on my own I'll do what I can. Mangement said "That's the next low point going off on you're own, but after that it does start to slowly get better and you start to climb up out of that low point."

The one of the many nice things about GFS is they don't keep a big extra board and they don't really have a ton of extra's pretty much they hire you on and with in 6 weeks you have a route. The beer company wasn't quite like that. They had a much bigger extra board and you could be on it for a while and some of there swing drivers got screwed. Routes would go up and those guys would bid on them and then management wouldn't give it to them. Pretty much being an extra anywhere is set up for failure.

I don't totally know what I am trying to say I guess, but it's all been hard, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I haven't had a vacation of any kind in about a year or so I try not to, but I live work a lot. Now don't get me wrong it's got a lot of silver lining, I make good money at GFS trying to save up to buy my house and get my life in order figure if I can get it all together now on the front end I work a lot less harder on the back end basically do the hardest thing first and work to something easier. Takes time and money and ability however with the right financial decisions and all that stuff I think it can be done.

Eventually I'll need a new car my 2000 F-150s starting to rust real good now and it's got 200,000+ miles on it, it runs good, but the rust can't be fixed and that's the end game right there the age and miles are getting up there and so on and so fourth. Anyhow I don't know maybe towards the end of this year I'll replace it I don't really want to, but I can't undo the rust or age. Anyhow for what ever reason I've always wanted to go to Idaho I don't know why either, but maybe I'll go buy a new truck up there and drive back to Ohio. Get to see a little bit of the country I haven't really been out west I mean I've been to Alaska, so that does count, but out side of that and I flew there I've haven't been out west really I kind of want to go. Been down south a few times, never to Texas, but I've been to Florida more then a couple of times and have been to Kansas of all places once, wasn't to far from Oklahoma either. Never been to Oklahoma though don't really know what I would do there.

Anyhow alright I need to get to sleep.

Be strong brother. Change is hard,but it will get better. Always remember,GFS isn't the only game in town. If you don't like your job don't be afraid to explore other options.

Be strong brother. Change is hard,but it will get better. Always remember,GFS isn't the only game in town. If you don't like your job don't be afraid to explore other options.

GFS isn't bad there better then the beer company I worked for, it's just a new line of work and it's been difficult they tell me it's okay though and once I get a regular route it won't be nearly as bad. Today I was down town on my own a little bit down town Cleveland is an absolute Zoo with a capital Z and worth every inch of the minor anxiety attack I was having last night ha-ha! It was pretty bad. Goofy Construction here Goofy Construction there detour here no parking there and on and on and on it goes when does it stop nobody knows. The problem with Down Town Cleveland is they want growth, but there not ready for it. The infrastructure is not there, they are totally mucking up Public Square now with the Republican National Convention it's going to be an absolute Zoo and that's putting it mildly.

Backing in off east 9th street into a dark parking garage then having to ally dock back into the dock. Had quite a few dock stops today. I really do though think it would be better if we ran like R's company and had a kind of policy of straight trucks only down town NHB has the same policy I have never seen an NHB tractor trailer down town. I think that might make life a tad easier, but GFS doesn't roll like that at least not in the states. GFS Canada has straight trucks nice big ones too with tandem axles and everything, but we don't have those here in the states.

Anyhow I earned my pay today, but I got's to keep on pushing. Life's hard we made it that way, however we didn't stop either.

The pups aren't bad I just had a hard time doing some of the backing today for some reason. I don't have really any straight truck experience to be honest.

The pups aren't bad I just had a hard time doing some of the backing today for some reason. I don't have really any straight truck experience to be honest.

All of my straight truck experience is in a dump truck or grain truck, I know you guys use tandems in the delivery side as well as transit (at least I think you do) so it's a little harder to get around with. But when I started with Fedex I was amazed at where I could go with a pup. Mind you most of my driving has been longer wheelbase 4 axle tractors with big front ends (Even your tandem would be short to me) and long tri or quad axle trailers, so pups where a change for me.