XPO | Line Haul Start Times

ATH

TB Lurker
Credits
Looking at applying with XPO and was wondering what are usually the start time for a Line Haul Driver, IE (Mundelein, IL), I understand they work Dock, does that include before shift/Departure. Thank you for your time,

I’m sure someone else will chime in locally as I’m located out in the west but all our guys start between 5-9pm. The newbies usually closer to 8 or 9. Good luck!

the linehaul instructions (aka the model) comes out around 7:00 pm eastern time. That’s when you find out what time you start. As a new driver, you would be the last driver to wherever you go, I’d guess 8:00-9:00 or so. Generally, drivers don’t work the dock at their home terminal, but it’s not out of the question. Same for when you return home in the morning. With the long hours most of us are working, you shouldn’t be asked to work any hours before or after your run. I’d plan on 12-14 hours most nights. I would ask your questions of the service center manager at the location you are applying at.

Looking at applying with XPO and was wondering what are usually the start time for a Line Haul Driver, IE (Mundelein, IL), I understand they work Dock, does that include before shift/Departure. Thank you for your time,
As previously stated you'll be last to start, most likely 2000-2100. Plan on working the dock in the winter before your run because most dockworkers quit or show up sparingly during the cold weather. During the warmer months it'll happen on occasion before you get your loads, but it generally won't be more than an hour. Most days you'll be pulling into the yard with less than an hour on your 14 so you won't have to worry about working the dock.

I'd assume bottom guys at mundelein run to tomah but it might be LaSalle. You will work no less than 12 and plan on using your 16 every week. Wherever you run you're expected to clear the dock so many nights it's 6am before you'll dispatch. If you have hours available expect to run Saturday.

Job is what you make of it. You'll have absolutely no life. Forget about the weekend, you sleep all day Saturday and Sunday your body doesn't know what time it is. Only real reason new guys stick it out imo is the money. Taking home $1500+ a week is the norm, can't really beat that. For me it's not worth the frustrations. Every night your blood pressure will soar dealing with BS if you let it. If you go into it with the idea that the company is an absolute joke and you don't mind the lifestyle, you'll do just fine. Single guys and older guys whose kids are through school last the longest. Just keep in mind most terminals have 80-90% turnover of new hires for a reason. Also, if you read through these forums you won't find anything positive about the company which should be concerning.

You'll have absolutely no life. Forget about the weekend, you sleep all day Saturday and Sunday your body doesn't know what time it is.
That’s a big sacrifice for that kind of money. You are giving your entire life to the company for what ?
That kind of sacrifice should be compensated much hirghee.

Last edited:
Personally if it were me and I was young enough again I would try my hardest to see if I could go and be a feeder driver for UPS. Just my 2cents. I got fired long time ago so I’m SoL on that one…lol

Thank you all for the update, retired 30 years in military and current job is wear thin, entire family neen in trucking from management to sales.

Just skip the XPO experience. Go straight to SAIA like all the drivers there eventually do.

Big chunk of ones life for that kinda compensation . This is why this company can’t find drivers .
It’s rare for me to work more then 12 hours, it depends on a lot of factors what your hours will be. If you want to work less, find another job. Personally, this works for me and my family. I supported a family of four while my wife was home with the kids. We were both very involved with their upbringing from coaching, Scouting and volunteering at school and church. I missed out on some, but was still active and there for my family. Was there sacrifice? Sure, but it was worth it and I would do it again. As a guy with no trade skills and no college, I think I do ok..

As previously stated you'll be last to start, most likely 2000-2100. Plan on working the dock in the winter before your run because most dockworkers quit or show up sparingly during the cold weather. During the warmer months it'll happen on occasion before you get your loads, but it generally won't be more than an hour. Most days you'll be pulling into the yard with less than an hour on your 14 so you won't have to worry about working the dock.

I'd assume bottom guys at mundelein run to tomah but it might be LaSalle. You will work no less than 12 and plan on using your 16 every week. Wherever you run you're expected to clear the dock so many nights it's 6am before you'll dispatch. If you have hours available expect to run Saturday.

Job is what you make of it. You'll have absolutely no life. Forget about the weekend, you sleep all day Saturday and Sunday your body doesn't know what time it is. Only real reason new guys stick it out imo is the money. Taking home $1500+ a week is the norm, can't really beat that. For me it's not worth the frustrations. Every night your blood pressure will soar dealing with BS if you let it. If you go into it with the idea that the company is an absolute joke and you don't mind the lifestyle, you'll do just fine. Single guys and older guys whose kids are through school last the longest. Just keep in mind most terminals have 80-90% turnover of new hires for a reason. Also, if you read through these forums you won't find anything positive about the company which should be concerning.

The OP needs to read and re read this post until it hurts. It hurt me reading it. Dammit the truth is painful.

Thank you all for the update, retired 30 years in military and current job is wear thin, entire family neen in trucking from management to sales.

You sound like you have seen some spit. You’ll see it here too. The people running this joint would get fired running the drive thru at McDonalds. 30 years in the military you probably have the appropriate temperament not to kill everyone. But you will want too. That said. As previously mentioned. It’s $1500 a week. If you want it or not.

More than likely you will be bent over a barrel by some snot nosed punk fresh out of college. I see it everyday, the new guys get screwed..plain and simple, but then again it is probably the same everywhere just depends how much of a crap sandwich you want to chew on.

Yep, the only company that compensates fairly. Fully paid healthcare,fully paid retirement and an hourly rate that blows Xpo out of the water. If your gonna give up your life to a company it should be rightly recognized by the company in return.
So 120k a year without a college degree to essentially hold a steering wheel and drive a go kart isn't enough? I'm not saying this is a great job but you start talking to other people about what they make and then you get some perspective about how much 120k really is. Isn't the median income with a college degree in the US like just under 60k?

Trust me lots of stuff aggravates me about the company and compensation but complaining about 120k a year for me just doesn't make much sense.

So 120k a year without a college degree to essentially hold a steering wheel and drive a go kart isn't enough? I'm not saying this is a great job but you start talking to other people about what they make and then you get some perspective about how much 120k really is. Isn't the median income with a college degree in the US like just under 60k?

Trust me lots of stuff aggravates me about the company and compensation but complaining about 120k a year for me just doesn't make much sense.

We are putting in the hours of two full time jobs to make that money. With a lot more risks and danger.