XPO | Linehaul first in first out policy

foz

TB Lurker
Credits
On the way to XNJ fac I passed a senior driver while he took a break.I arrived before him but he was on time. He said he still leaves first because he was on time. Makes sense to me because you should not punish somebody for taking a break as long as they still arrive on time. Is that the way it works or is it cut and dry "first in first out" ?

when i worked at conway, it was pretty much senior driver out first....

but i knew the guys well, and we are buds, so if i had to go first or whatever, then i would leave before a senior guy....

the company CAN work without all the stupid rules and policies that your management outs on you.... but they wont let that happen...

The co. i am at now is different..... as long as the work gets done then everybody is happy, since it is a smaller co. the drivers actually care about the work they do.

On the way to XNJ fac I passed a senior driver while he took a break.I arrived before him but he was on time. He said he still leaves first because he was on time. Makes sense to me because you should not punish somebody for taking a break as long as they still arrive on time. Is that the way it works or is it cut and dry "first in first out" ?
you just became number one and he is now number 2.
first in first out means just that the only exception is on via's.if he beats his time on the via he keeps his spot.

That is a stupid policy. What about all this safety stuff we hear about and they have a policy in place that encourages drivers skipping breaks. What if somebody has hazmat and they need to stop for a safety check ?

I asked several people above the local level about the policy... This is the understanding from GO...

The first Driver in is the First Driver out. Dispact order does not impact this unless a via is involved (Explained later).

The Only acceptable exceptions to this:

Hours of Service I.E DSR leaving before one who arrived earlier or else they will require being picked up.

OR

Via Policy: IF a DSR dispatches first AND MEETS or BEATS their Computer generated ETA (Starts when you dispatch) to the VIA point AND From VIA point to FAC you retain your position based on dispatch time...

That is a stupid policy. What about all this safety stuff we hear about and they have a policy in place that encourages drivers skipping breaks. What if somebody has hazmat and they need to stop for a safety check ?
Last I knew we were not required to stop with a hazmat check, post 9-11, they do not want a possible hi-jack to take place with deadly chemicals that people could use for a weapon of some sort.

The policy on linehaul is solely to promote drivers to "go fast and take chances". Be first and beat your senior driver.........as Con-Way expects you to! This so the first dispatched has pressure to stay in the lead to leave reship first and not stop for any breaks. I've seen where an F.O.S. has routinely dispatched 2 drivers within 5 minutes of each other to the same destination for days at a time. Real thorough pre-trips are performed then I might add. Sounds like a psychological game Con-Way has been practicing, but it works. This is why there are dopes out there pulling trailers with lights out, flat tires, broken springs, and other defects. They have the motivation to be first in, to be first out. I see it all the time. Drivers need to realize that they play into this theory all the time and that when something serious happens, don't tell the responding officer you were trying to be first to your destination.

The policy on linehaul is solely to promote drivers to "go fast and take chances". Be first and beat your senior driver.........as Con-Way expects you to! This so the first dispatched has pressure to stay in the lead to leave reship first and not stop for any breaks. I've seen where an F.O.S. has routinely dispatched 2 drivers within 5 minutes of each other to the same destination for days at a time. Real thorough pre-trips are performed then I might add. Sounds like a psychological game Con-Way has been practicing, but it works. This is why there are dopes out there pulling trailers with lights out, flat tires, broken springs, and other defects. They have the motivation to be first in, to be first out. I see it all the time. Drivers need to realize that they play into this theory all the time and that when something serious happens, don't tell the responding officer you were trying to be first to your destination.
want to know what really pizzes them off? Making them know they have a #1 driver that doesn`t give a crap if he gets there first! :smilie_132: :funky: :funky: :1036316054:

You pretty much let that senior driver and the xnj reship screw you. If you let them do it once roll over ... they are gonna do it again.

I asked several people above the local level about the policy... This is the understanding from GO...

The first Driver in is the First Driver out. Dispact order does not impact this unless a via is involved (Explained later).

The Only acceptable exceptions to this:

Hours of Service I.E DSR leaving before one who arrived earlier or else they will require being picked up.

OR

Via Policy: IF a DSR dispatches first AND MEETS or BEATS their Computer generated ETA (Starts when you dispatch) to the VIA point AND From VIA point to FAC you retain your position based on dispatch time...
Alright I can see that but what about when it comes to doing vias? At XLF the Via drivers leave before the terminal drivers. Like if I had to do a XAY via. I would have to leave before the XAY drivers could leave. Thats not how they do it at XCN. They would make me stay until all the breakers are off of the board 3:00 - 4:00 . Then let me leave. I feel the next time it happens I should call Chris K. But I only have 3 more months to put up with it. The worst of it all is when there is 2 of us and we only have 1 trailer going back and no vias I still can't leave until the end. I have to run short in the middle of the week anyway but you would think that screws up their dock production. I could think of it as shut my mouth and open my wallet and keep dropping in the money!!

i like this policy. i like stopping for a break and get a cup of coffee. i am out of the truck for a few minutes. what pises me off is the drivers in front of me stop and wait on their buddies and then they play games, lotteries etc. so when i get to my meet i am ahead of them. so, i take the available trailers back to dallas. so, am i wrong cause i do my job and they are f$%king around

Good post,
Seems then that The Corporation is aware that this practice encourages non-compliance of safety practices.

Sooooo, if The Corporation doesn't care then why should I?
Is this the part where they lead by example?

My SCM told me, "It is 'first in, first out---BUT, if both drivers arrive early or on time, then seniority prevails."

I have no problem with this policy. There's nothing wrong with taking a break, but you are supposed to be on time. If a guy isn't concerned with being on time, then that's a different story.

I would not take a VIA if I knew there was a guy ahead of me at the FAC. That's just rude, only gets you a reputation for being a pr!ck.

To all linehaul drivers concerned...........Just be on time and do your pre trip and post trip inspections thoroughly. If an F.O.S. dispatches you late don't try to be a hero and be on time by not taking your break. You are entitled to take a break for safety, don't let intimidation ruin your career in this very entertaining and I might add hypocritical industry. At all costs "Be Safe". You will surely have a job.(Somewhere)

the policy is You will do what Con-way wants when Con-way says and how Con-way wants it done Until further notice:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :butt kiss:

I REALLY hope that is sarcasm. Safety is first and last at all cost, no matter what the F.O.S., SCM, or office executive tries to dictate to there drivers or employees. Please tell me that safety does play a role here? Where does safety fit into this "first in, first out " policy?

it comes into play with sloppy pretrip. you are trying to stay ahead of the next driver, who could pass you and make you stay at the fac longer are get a via instead of going home